News Article: The Detroit Red Wings' slow, painful 'Yzerplan' is finally starting to pay off (ESPN)

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Rangers "rebuilt" in about 3 years after blowing it up
Yzerman is well on the way in 2.5 years already

Kenny's rebuild could have taken 15 or forever, cause he had no clue what he is doing.

The only reason the Rags rebuilt so quickly is because they won 2 lotteries and had 2 superstars gifted to them, along with Trouba

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
The only reason the Rags rebuilt so quickly is because they won 2 lotteries and had 2 superstars gifted to them, along with Trouba

Don't you wish you had something of "value" to sell at the TDL to do that, instead of LGDs?
And yes, luck is important.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I think he means Panarin and Fox were the gifted players. Both were NYC or bust. So that on top of that lottery wins and Trouba's wife.

NYC is a crap hole thou, especially now. I mean, market matters, but also the outlook for the team that players have...
Detroit Red Wings lost it's luster as the "destination" during Kenny's years, cause they made it that way.
None of these players live in Detroit anyway, same as they don't live in NY, they live on Long Island.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Given Holland's last few drafts as Red Wings GM were pretty bad I'm glad he's gone.

2015: Was a complete bust
2016: Hronek only thing good to come out of that draft
2017: Weak draft but man I was hoping for someone more impactful than what Rasmussen has been. Awful luck to have that draft class be the start of our rebuild
2018: It's still early for Zadina but I'm not seeing anything special from him.

Yzerplan is going nicely. Wings hit big with Mo and Razor picks, flipping extra picks for defenseman like Leddy, moving out unmotivated young players like Mantha and AA, and not hanging onto old timers just because of loyalty.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Given Holland's last few drafts as Red Wings GM were pretty bad I'm glad he's gone.

2015: Was a complete bust
2016: Hronek only thing good to come out of that draft
2017: Weak draft but man I was hoping for someone more impactful than what Rasmussen has been. Awful luck to have that draft class be the start of our rebuild
2018: It's still early for Zadina but I'm not seeing anything special from him.

Yzerplan is going nicely. Wings hit big with Mo and Razor picks, flipping extra picks for defenseman like Leddy, moving out unmotivated young players like Mantha and AA, and not hanging onto old timers just because of loyalty.
when did he have a good draft ? kronwall was like his last good pick . the hack press around here gave him the biggest free pass forever

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
NYC is a crap hole thou, especially now. I mean, market matters, but also the outlook for the team that players have...
Detroit Red Wings lost it's luster as the "destination" during Kenny's years, cause they made it that way.
None of these players live in Detroit anyway, same as they don't live in NY, they live on Long Island.

Alright.

But they didn't get the memo.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Alright.

But they didn't get the memo.
Remember how Brett Hull wanted a Cup and Kenny only had to say "name your price"?
Then the Salary Cap happened and Kenny was well, a GM who should have never "sniffed" the Hall of Fame.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Remember how Brett Hull wanted a Cup and Kenny only had to say "name your price"?
Then the Salary Cap happened and Kenny was well, a GM who should have never "sniffed" the Hall of Fame.

You said it buddy.

But I'm totally lost what this has to do with a couple guys wanting to play for the Rangers.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
You said it buddy.

But I'm totally lost what this has to do with a couple guys wanting to play for the Rangers.
Team on the upswing, with real chances to compete for a Cup for a while, all I am saying. Just like Wings were.
Not to mention that NY has a huge russian speaking community, with lots of hot girls to party with... ))))

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
NYC is a crap hole thou, especially now.
As a NYC resident, I can say NYC is my favorite city in the world, even now, whatever that means.

And I know for a fact that plenty of the players live in Manhattan.

Reactions: Sentinel and Bench

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
As a NYC resident, I can say NYC is my favorite city in the world, even now, whatever that means.

And I know for a fact that plenty of the players live in Manhattan.
Ok, That's fine... I lived in Brooklyn from 1991 to 1997, and it was always a dump, now more than ever.
Some people find it appealing still? Oh well. Good luck!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
NYC is an absolutely awesome place to live if you have money. The city itself will always attract players regardless of the condition of the team.

Reactions: Sentinel

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
NYC is an absolutely awesome place to live if you have money. The city itself will always attract players regardless of the condition of the team.
ANY place is amazing to live if you have millions, it comes down to rampant crime, lawlessness and a cost of living for many. if you are looking to party, NY is ok, if you have family.. You'll think 10 times.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
ANY place is amazing to live if you have millions, it comes down to rampant crime, lawlessness and a cost of living for many. if you are looking to party, NY is ok, if you have family.. You'll think 10 times.
Sometimes it's just about playing for the team you grew up watching. Fox is from Long Island. He also played for Plymouth, so he's actually familiar with the Detroit area too.

Let's keep in mind that the Wings got a few players from the Michigan connection. DDK, LGD, and Hirose were all undrafted free agent pickups. Witter is from Holland. Modano played for Little Caesars. Unfortunately none of them are anywhere close to Fox and the Breadman in terms of hockey ability.

Reactions: StargateSG1

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Must be nice to inherit two league MVPs in their prime.

You mean like Yzerman essentially did in TB? At the end of the day, having all the MVP's in the world mean jack shit if you can't build a good team. Edmonton is the perfect example of that pre Holland.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cities are personal preferences, we should really just drop that subject. Some people even like Minnesota, remember Parise and Suter?

Stevie doesn't need any freebies anyways, he'll just keep stealing from other GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad