News Article: The Detroit Red Wings' slow, painful 'Yzerplan' is finally starting to pay off (ESPN)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
  • Erne for 4th
  • Ned for 3rd - though I don't like his style, it's still a damn good deal
  • Marc Staal - free 2nd rounder plus we even re-signed him. Slow, but decent 3rd pair veteran D
  • Vrana/Mantha deal - Sure Vrana's injured and I don't like using the 1st on a goalie, but that doesn't mean the trade itself wasn't good. Vrana injured himself over the summer after he had played for the team.
  • 4th for Nemeth - not much return but Nemeth was an UFA signing
  • AA - Sold while he still had value
  • Mike Green - not much return but better than nothing
  • Fabbri
  • Savard deal

Trades I didn't like:
  • I think he overpaid for Leddy, but it's still working out well regardless of the price
  • Every trade up in the draft, seems like this team gets a lot of FOMO in the draft
  • Mitchell Stephens is a dime a dozen players

Also didn't like signing Rowney, totally useless.

Not sure why you're still complaining since the team looks better than expected with Stevie's draft picks outperforming expectations by a considerable margin. The team is actually interesting to watch, and they're gonna have an absolute ridiculous defense tandem with Seider and Edvinsson for the next decade. I don't know if this team will win the Cup again in my lifetime, but the dumpster fire has been extinguished.

Agree with all of this.

The Perlini for Regula trade needs to be included in the bad trades though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I've come to like MN a lot, and I even followed the Wild closely for a few years, but since I cut the cord it's been almost impossible to catch any home games so I have no idea anymore. I've seen them play the Wings here 3x I think, in person. The Excel Center is a nice venue IMO.
I did not mean that as an insult to MN, though my wording probably could have been better. I started out correctly though, it's a personal preference.

I personally don't have any issues with MN or the UP other than it's too f'ing cold. I haven't spent much time in either, but the best thing about MN was that the state trooper let me go with a warning. Most states are not kind to out of state speeders.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
giphy.webp
community-poppop.gif

Reactions: Bench

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That would have been starting at almost nothing. Very difficult. I think it's possible we would have stayed outside the playoffs for 8-9 years in that scenario.

I mean the Wings are at 5 already right now(which could easily still end up hitting 8-9 to be honest) and even the last few times they did make the Playoffs it was only barely backing in followed by a 1st round loss

so not really even seeing much difference between your hypothetical and what actually ended up happening

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
With Edmonton? No guarantee there. I am sure they will try but other teams that have had more success in the playoffs might have something to say about that.
They'll be in cap hell forever now, with Nurse's nutty contract kicking in next season.
No "depth" for you, Connor!

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
We got an inferior player who was already injured. Then we squandered the picks. Now we have AA 2.0 on IR and a goalie prospect. They have Anthony Mantha.
There's a reason that deal happened and it isn't because Yzerman is so smart and they are so dumb.

And they have a guy that was -2 and relegated to 4th line minutes while playing against the Detroit Red Wings.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bad trade? What has Regula done to warrant it called a bad trade. Looks like an even turd for turd trade.
Even if he winds up being an NHL player, it's not like he's gonna be missed here. This team will have more defensemen than roster spots in 3 years, some of the prospects will be traded anyways.

To me that trade was a wash. Former 1st round pick for low end prospect? I think you take the shot more often than not.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've come to like MN a lot, and I even followed the Wild closely for a few years, but since I cut the cord it's been almost impossible to catch any home games so I have no idea anymore. I've seen them play the Wings here 3x I think, in person. The Excel Center is a nice venue IMO.

I try to catch the Wings once a year at the Xcel. I agree it's a nice arena.

I don't recall if you live in the Twin Cities but if you're about or travel in and would like to grab a beer for a Wings game, let me know. That offer is open for anyone.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
And they have a guy that was -2 and relegated to 4th line minutes while playing against the Detroit Red Wings.
He picked up one of his 5 points in 7 games. That puts him on about a 60 pt pace. Not bad for a 4th liner.
How many points does Vrana have?

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I did not mean that as an insult to MN, though my wording probably could have been better. I started out correctly though, it's a personal preference.

I personally don't have any issues with MN or the UP other than it's too f'ing cold. I haven't spent much time in either, but the best thing about MN was that the state trooper let me go with a warning. Most states are not kind to out of state speeders.

Oh no insult taken. It's just harmless jibberjabber. And tonight, after finally starting to clean out my dungeon of a basement, I DO have time for jibberjabber.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I try to catch the Wings once a year at the Xcel. I agree it's a nice arena.

I don't recall if you live in the Twin Cities but if you're about or travel in and would like to grab a beer for a Wings game, let me know. That offer is open for anyone.

I'm in Columbia Heights, actually. I will definitely take you up on that sometime.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Guys we can end this conversation. One side of it is arguing that a trade is bad because a guy got injured after it. That's not a genuine opinion.
He was injured before it. Blashill said as much. It should have been handled in the offseason but it wasn't.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I know most of you guys hate this but in my opinion Holland had the general idea completely correct. With the benefit of hindsight we weren't winners at the end but there was a small chance that we could have been. There was no point in jumping the gun when there was any chance left that we could win just one more Cup.

We already had one of the most successful stretches in sports history. Just one more Cup at the end would have made it absolutely legendary. Any number of players could have overperformed and put together a miracle run. You had to take that chance.

Our next Cup might come in 5 years or 30 years, but whatever happens, the fact that it may have been set back a few years at the end of the Holland era will be completely irrelevant.

Yeah - ultimately he chose the harder route to future success, but I've always maintained that the streak and D & Z made it worth it. Sadly such a route is only possible with excellent drafting, good trades and good business in FA - whereas KH and the old scouts did marginally above average scouting, but not in the early rounds, almost no trades, and some ill-judged (and unlucky) FA signings.

Better decisions in the first two draft rounds, better FA choices and more judicious trading - all between say 2009 & 2014, and KH would look like a league defying genius. Sadly, as with most things, the brave idea without the detail isn't that useful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad