Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Leafs out: #15, Kerfoot, Johnsson
Leafs in: #38, #187

Sabres out: #38, Okposo
Sabres in: Kerfoot, Johnsson

Red Wings out: #187
Red Wings in: #15, Okposo

Toronto get an early 2nd round pick while also clearing enough salary to make a serious push for Pietrangelo

Buffalo add some needed depth while also dumping Okposo's contract

Detroit add the #15 pick in a strong draft

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think there is something here that could happen around this idea but it needs to be tweaked to make sense for Toronto

Maybe they get Montour?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Why wouldn't the Leafs just trade Kerfoot and Johnsson on their own. That frees up cap space and allows them to horde the picks. You just saw what Kapanen got. Even if Kerfoot and Johnsson don't get that kind of return, they're still assets that can bring back futures while freeing up space.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So the cost to dump a 6 million dollar albatross is a 2nd round pick, but the cost to "dump" two productive middle 6 players on market value deals is 15th overall, makes sense.

It's the trade version of revenue sharing. Big market teams pay the others literal bills, why not in trade as well?

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So the cost to dump a 6 million dollar albatross is a 2nd round pick, but the cost to "dump" two productive middle 6 players on market value deals is 15th overall, makes sense.

I see Kerfoot and Johnsson as cap dumps, not "productive middle 6 players on market value deals"

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I see Kerfoot and Johnsson as cap dumps, not "productive middle 6 players on market value deals"

So why would Buffalo trade 1 cap dump + 2nd for 2 cap dumps with a bigger collective cap hit?

Just take the loss, it's a terrible trade for Toronto lol. I'd love to see your explanation for Okposo being literally twice as cheap to dump as guys who are cheaper, younger, and more productive.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
I think there is something here that could happen around this idea but it needs to be tweaked to make sense for Toronto

Maybe they get Montour?

The idea is to clear enough salary to sign Pietrangelo... so I'm not sure adding Montour's salary would allow for that

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So why would Buffalo trade 1 cap dump + 2nd for 2 cap dumps with a bigger collective cap hit?

Just take the loss, it's a terrible trade for Toronto lol.

The Sabres are only adding 900k to their cap with those 2 players... and one of those players can fill a much needed role at center

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The Sabres are only adding 900k to their cap with those 2 players... and one of those players can fill a much needed role at center

Well, he can play center. I'd hardly describe Kerfoot as being able to really fill the role we need there.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

So how about the Sabers dump Okposo on their own and then trade for Kerfoot to fill their much needed role at center. Look at that, problem solved without needing to trade a 1st for literally nothing.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
So how about the Sabers dump Okposo on their own and then trade for Kerfoot to fill their much needed role at center. Look at that, problem solved without needing to trade a 1st for literally nothing.

They're trading a 1st for cap space... cap space that can then be used to sign Pietrangelo

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They're trading a 1st for cap space... cap space that can then be used to sign Pietrangelo

Yeah nah, they can trade those two for positive assets. Thinking that you need 15th overall to "dump" decent middle 6ers making middle 6 money is insane.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Yeah nah, they can trade those two for positive assets. Thinking that you need 15th overall to "dump" decent middle 6ers making middle 6 money is insane.

And what would those trades look like? The ones that net the Leafs positive value for Kerfoot and Johnsson...

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

Maybe they get Montour?

Yes now it makes sense to trade the 1st. So essentially Kap and AJ for Montour and a downgrade in the pick we got. Montour isn’t going to even be qualified by buffalo based on another thread this week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad