Music: The Definitive What are Your Top 25 Albums?

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
More modern music on this list than i would have guessed before i started putting it together.

Amanda Shires - To the Sunset
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
Bob Dylan - Desire
Brandi Carlile - By the Way, I Forgive You
Brandi Carlile - The Fire Watchers Daughter
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Dawes - All Your Favourite Bands
Jackson Browne - Running on Empty
Jason Isbell - Reunions
Jason Isbell - Something More than Free
Jason Isbell - Southeastern
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Neil Young - Weld
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Richard Thompson - Dream Attic
Richard Thompson - Mirror Blue
Richard Thompson - Rumour and Sigh
Richard Thompson - Sweet Warrior
The Band - The Band (The Brown Album)
The Doors-L.A. Woman
Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Elvis P

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Thanks for all your great posts. I've been working on this for months and I finally have a list of which I can be proud.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, you weren't proud of your tastes before, but now that you've worked on them, you're proud? Because they align with who's?
Definitely strikes me as unfair to frame it that way, or treat it as questionable, and I would defend his sentiment, personally.

Tastes develop with exposure, and awareness/familiarity with other perspectives definitely fast-tracks that process, IMO. I'm definitely more proud of my tastes after combing through stuff that other people like, and I definitely wasn't proud of my un-influenced tastes right from the very start, nor do I think I should have been. Impressionability from others is a really useful tool for figuring out what you personally like and what to consider, whether you do or don't end up agreeing with it.

That doesn't at all mean that you're just congratulating yourself as respectable simply because your preferences closely aligns with broad reputation or something.

On top of that, he might have just meant that seeing other lists simply jogged his memory when making his own or something.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Definitely strikes me as unfair to frame that as questionable and I would defend his sentiment, personally.

Tastes develop with exposure, and awareness/familiarity with other perspectives definitely fast-tracks that process, IMO. I'm definitely more proud of my tastes after combing through stuff that other people like, and I definitely wasn't proud of my un-influenced tastes right from the very start, nor do I think I should have been. Impressionability from others is a really useful tool for figuring out what you personally like.

That doesn't at all imply congratulating yourself as respectable simply because your preferences closer aligns with broad reputation or something.

On top of that, he might have just meant that seeing other lists simply jogged his memory when making his own.

Teenagers define themselves through what they like (and can't stand people criticizing their tastes). At some point, you have to realize that your tastes are a result of your experiences (both of life and of the medium - here music). Not something you "work on", nor something you should be proud of. If you love music, you listen to music, and your tastes evolve. Your tastes. When you say "impressionability is a useful tool", I can't see it - knowing knowledgeable people is a useful "tool", to be introduced to more complex, or more rare stuff, but being impressed by their knowledge will certainly not help you figure out what "you personally like".

That's how you develop an inferiority complex that makes you go beserk when people criticize your tastes (and yeah, the superiority complex of the impressionable intelligentsia is just an inferiority complex in disguise).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Teenagers define themselves through what they like (and can't stand people criticizing their tastes). At some point, you have to realize that your tastes are a result of your experiences (both of life and of the medium - here music). Not something you "work on", nor something you should be proud of. If you love music, you listen to music, and your tastes evolve. Your tastes. When you say "impressionability is a useful tool", I can't see it - knowing knowledgeable people is a useful "tool", to be introduced to more complex, or more rare stuff, but being impressed by their knowledge will certainly not help you figure out what "you personally like".

That's how you develop an inferiority complex that makes you go beserk when people criticize your tastes (and yeah, the superiority complex of the impressionable intelligentsia is just an inferiority complex in disguise).
I disagree that this necessarily HAS to be the case. Sometimes a different perspective is just the nudge you need to broaden what you're open to, and that you might later realize that you actually do like yourself. I mean, maybe your ability to naturally develop your tastes without any outside help is so impeccable that you can't relate to this or something, but personally, I've found the process very useful.

Not being proud of your tastes can simply mean "I'm not getting as much satisfaction out of my natural impulses/experiences as I feel like I can/want to be. This is my own list and even I feel that it kind of sucks, because the most satisfying things I've experienced still feel kind of underwhelming/unimportant to myself."

That's definitely been my experience as I've gotten more and more into things, personally. A personal list can feel unsatisfying to yourself without that feeling needing to be some reflection of insecurity or of how others will perceive it, which seems to be the assumption you're making.

On top of that, being proud or not proud of yourself can be as simple as liking or not liking a decision that you made (in this case, having an attitude/making an investment that allowed you to appreciate something that you easily might not have). It doesn't strictly have to mean that you define yourself by what you like and immaturely feel that it elevates your status or something.

Even if it's something that happens naturally, you still have to put yourself in a position that allows it to happen naturally (and going through people's lists is a very good way to do that). That's still "working on it"

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
maybe your ability to naturally develop your tastes without any outside help is so impeccable

I don't think I have a particular gift. I think it's an irreconcilable contradiction to think someone's personal tastes need outside help.

This is my own list and even I feel that it kind of sucks, because the most satisfying things I've experienced still feel kind of underwhelming/unimportant to myself."

How can this happen if you're not comparing your "tastes" to something else that you feel is "better" (and more "impressive")? Either you don't like music and don't bother making a list, or your tastes are your tastes - if you feel the need to be proud of your tastes, they might just not really be your tastes at all.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Bogie, because you're an absolute legend, and apparently value our opinions (plus I just wanna talk music), I put together a T-25 for the new millennium. I didn't feel like combining the two and cutting it in half, though. You'll have to pay me for that.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2000)
At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command (2000)
Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
Converge - Jane Doe (2001)
Bjork - Vespertine (2001)
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2 (2001)
City of Caterpillar - City of Caterpillar (2002)
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People (2002)
Dizzee Rascal - Boy in Da Corner (2003)
Ween - Quebec (2003)
Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004)
Arcade Fire - Funeral (2004)
The Knife - Silent Shout (2006)
M.I.A. - Kala (2007)
Burial - Untrue (2007)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)
Destroyer - Kaputt (2011)
Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury (2013)
Tim Hecker - Virgins (2013)
Kishi Bashi - Lighght (2014)
Flying Lotus - You're Dead! (2014)
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)
Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked for Death (2016)
Big K.R.I.T. - 4Eva is a Mighty Long Time (2017)
black midi - Schlagenheim (2019)
FKA Twigs - Magdalene (2019)

Probably would be more of these in a combined T25 than my 20th C. list. I honestly feel waaaaay more passionate about stuff from roughly 1991-present.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think I have a particular gift. I think it's an irreconcilable contradiction to think someone's personal tastes need outside help.

How can this happen if you're not comparing your "tastes" to something else that you feel is "better" (and more "impressive")? Either you don't like music and don't bother making a list, or your tastes are your tastes - if you feel the need to be proud of your tastes, they might just not really be your tastes at all.
In my view, a lot of good things are not immediate or easy to grasp, and require adjustments in attitude and perspective to appreciate, warm up to, and open up to. Any number of ways of reframing the experience can help someone connect with them more easily, and these often come from other people. What makes that irreconcilable? You can be keen enough to notice something yourself, or you can have it brought to your attention, after which you either will or won't notice it yourself (either way, being forced to consider what's relevant can fast-track how quickly you figure that out). Both are valid experiences that ultimately end up still being your own.

Regarding feeling unsatisfied by your own list, it can happen because you can still compare your tastes to what you imagine the heights of the medium might be, or what you would LIKE it to be, but may be frustrated about not being able to find. It's not necessary that you have to be comparing it to what you imagine that other people would consider good (which seemed to be your assumption).

For example, when I was younger and only had the attention span to listen to crappy top 40 pop music, I was still able to imagine the possibility of a song hypothetically sounding perfect in a similar way to how I now find something like Ceremony by Joy Division ("it's how I always wanted music to sound" is how I describe it now). I might have still modestly enjoyed the stuff I listened to in a "this is simultaneously catchy yet grating" way that I didn't genuinely value all that much, and might still possibly list off my favorite songs off the top of my head, but it wouldn't have been a list that I'd been proud of, because I never actually cared about the songs that were most enjoyable to me at the time. Ideally, I would want a list of my favorite songs to include things that actually inspire me, that I have zero reservations about, and that I would actively feel passionate about sharing with everyone. I can acknowledge that the best I can do at the moment may or may not satisfy that.

Even now, I'm relatively proud of what I would put as my favorite albums and I like them a lot, but I can still imagine and feel somewhat unsatisfied by the fact that I will always have some reservations about them. For example, I'm not aware of an album existing where every track is an actual masterpiece, in my eyes. If I find something like that at some point in the future, I might be more proud of a list that includes it at that point (again, not because it would give me more credibility or be more impressive to other people, but simply because I'd be really happy/fortunate about finding something that meets that standard). It's all relative.

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Boy, I completely disagree with this notion and find it to be a wildly unfair and dismissive assumption.

In my view, a lot of good things are not immediate or easy to grasp, and require adjustments in attitude and perspective to appreciate, warm up to, and open up to. Any number of ways of reframing the experience can help someone connect with them more easily, and these often come from other people. What makes that irreconcilable? You can be keen enough to notice something yourself, or you can have it brought to your attention, after which you either will or won't notice it yourself (either way, being forced to consider what's relevant can fast-track how quickly you figure that out). Both are valid experiences that ultimately end up still being your own.

You're only trying to say that someone's tastes can evolve through contact with someone with a larger knowledge or better understanding of the medium (and up 'til there I agree 100%) while trying justifying that (IMO absolutely wrong) idea that someone should be appreciative of the "help" that was brought to their tastes. Only a wannabe elitist could feel that way: "Even though what I like are these shameful things, what I really want to like is the stuff you like, oh master of fine arts". When your tastes are shitty, you normally don't realize it, and you're perfectly fine with them - until your (life/musical) experience grows, and your tastes evolve. Through time, not through imitation.

For example, when I was younger and only had the attention span to listen to crappy top 40 pop music, I was still able to imagine the possibility of a song hypothetically sounding perfect in a similar way to how I now find something like Ceremony by Joy Division ("it's how I always wanted music to sound" is how I describe it now). I might have still modestly enjoyed the stuff I listened to in a "this is simultaneously catchy yet grating" way that I didn't genuinely value all that much, and might still possibly list off my favorite songs off the top of my head, but it wouldn't have been a list that I'd been proud of, because I never actually cared about the songs that were most enjoyable to me at the time. Ideally, I would want a list of my favorite songs to include things that actually inspire me, that I have zero reservations about, and that I would actively feel passionate about sharing with everyone. I can acknowledge that the best I can do at the moment may or may not satisfy that.

Even now, I'm relatively proud of what I would put as my favorite albums and I like them a lot, but I can still imagine and feel somewhat unsatisfied by the fact that I will always have some reservations about them. For example, I'm not aware of an album existing where every track is an actual masterpiece, in my eyes. If I find something like that at some point in the future, I might be more proud of a list that includes it at that point (again, not because it would give me more credibility or be more impressive to other people, but simply because I'd be really happy/fortunate about finding something that meets that standard). It's all relative.

This shared experience feels a lot like after the fact revisionism, but okay. I still fail to see where the outside help is coming from in here. So you're looking for an album with only perfect tracks, is that a quest you were set on by someone else? Or because someone else found that perfect album and you haven't? You seem like someone who's relatively proud of your tastes for sure. Maybe at some point you were shamed for your love for the Backstreet Boys and decided to force yourself out of these degrading preferences, but I really doubt that at any point before that trauma, you thought to yourself "You know what? What I like is not what I should like, I should have a little more pride and listen to experimental music more".

Reactions: I am not exposed

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You're only trying to say that someone's tastes can evolve through contact with someone with a larger knowledge or better understanding of the medium (and up 'til there I agree 100%) while trying justifying that (IMO absolutely wrong) idea that someone should be appreciative of the "help" that was brought to their tastes. Only a wannabe elitist could feel that way: "Even though what I like are these shameful things, what I really want to like is the stuff you like, oh master of fine arts". When your tastes are shitty, you normally don't realize it, and you're perfectly fine with them - until your (life/musical) experience grows, and your tastes evolve. Through time, not through imitation.
Edit: Oh wait, I see the disconnect now. I mostly just mean impressionable as in leave an impression/piquing someone's interest/being swept up by their enthusiasm, or at worst mirror their approach/try looking at it from their perspective and see if something sticks, not thoughtlessly mirroring someone's opinions outright. Using the former as a catalyst can be very useful (though not strictly necessary), is my point.
This shared experience feels a lot like after the fact revisionism, but okay. I still fail to see where the outside help is coming from in here. So you're looking for an album with only perfect tracks, is that a quest you were set on by someone else? Or because someone else found that perfect album and you haven't? You seem like someone who's relatively proud of your tastes for sure. Maybe at some point you were shamed for your love for the Backstreet Boys and decided to force yourself out of these degrading preferences, but I really doubt that at any point before that trauma, you thought to yourself "You know what? What I like is not what I should like, I should have a little more pride and listen to experimental music more".
The purpose of those examples were to address this: "How can this happen if you're not comparing your "tastes" to something else that you feel is "better" (and more "impressive")?" not to tie it back to the idea of "outside help" (I addressed that separately). My answer to this question is that you can compare your tastes to your own loftier ideal outcomes rather than some notion of another person's "better" experiences, and justifiably feel proud/not proud base on the former comparison instead (if by proud, you just mean proud of the fact that you were able to find and credit something so satisfying to yourself, not that you feel superior for being associated with it).

It isn't revisionism. My initial interest in/satisfaction from music was very low, and as I warmed up to more stuff, I gradually found higher and higher peaks that MADE me more interested in/satisfied by the medium as a whole, like a staircase. Basically, what I'm saying is: "What I initially liked most had a low ceiling, so I'd naturally be proud to potentially raise that ceiling, and I would appreciate any help that would increase the odds of that happening. That will always be true, even if the ceiling continues to rise, as long there's still some room for improvement/dissatisfaction, which there always will be (and that there is for me currently)." It would be perfectly defensible and makes perfect sense if Bogart meant it that way too.

The crux of your argument seems to assume that one will be 100% interested in and satisfied by their current tastes (simply because it's their current taste), and therefore, them treating other tastes as helpful/could expose them to greater heights suggests that they're ashamed/in denial about how much they actually like their current tastes. However, that assumption isn't true. The scenario in the paragraph above is one where the interest/satisfaction they get from their current tastes might not be 100%, so there can be potentially good reason for them to be "ashamed" (I would just say "unsatisfied" instead) of their current tastes to some degree without being in denial about it (since there is in fact room to go up and room for dissatisfaction).

Last edited:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Edit: Oh wait, I see the disconnect now. I mostly just mean impressionable as in leave an impression/piquing someone's interest/being swept up by their enthusiasm, or at worst mirror their approach/try looking at it from their perspective and see if something sticks, not thoughtlessly mirroring someone's opinions outright. Using the former as a catalyst can be very useful (though not strictly necessary), is my point.
The purpose of those examples were to address this: "How can this happen if you're not comparing your "tastes" to something else that you feel is "better" (and more "impressive")?" not to tie it back to the idea of "outside help" (I addressed that separately). My answer to this question is that you can compare your tastes to your own loftier ideal outcomes rather than some notion of another person's "better" experiences, and justifiably feel proud/not proud base on the former comparison instead (if by proud, you just mean proud of the fact that you were able to find and credit something so satisfying to yourself, not that you feel superior for being associated with it).

It isn't revisionism. My initial interest in/satisfaction from music was very low, and as I warmed up to more stuff, I gradually found higher and higher peaks that MADE me more interested in/satisfied by the medium as a whole, like a staircase. Basically, what I'm saying is: "What I initially liked most had a low ceiling, so I'd naturally be proud to potentially raise that ceiling, and I would appreciate any help that would increase the odds of that happening. That will always be true, even if the ceiling continues to rise, as long there's still some room for improvement/dissatisfaction, which there always will be (and that there is for me currently)." It would be perfectly defensible and makes perfect sense if Bogart meant it that way too.

The crux of your argument seems to assume that one will be 100% interested in and satisfied by their current tastes (simply because it's their current taste), and therefore, them treating other tastes as helpful/could expose them to greater heights suggests that they're ashamed/in denial about how much they actually like their current tastes. However, that assumption isn't true. The scenario in the paragraph above is one where the interest/satisfaction they get from their current tastes might not be 100%, so there can be potentially good reason for them to be "ashamed" (I would just say "unsatisfied" instead) of their current tastes to some degree without being in denial about it (since there is in fact room to go up and room for dissatisfaction).

I'm not saying one should be "satisfied with their current tastes", on the contrary, I'm saying there's nothing to be proud of, or satisfied with, about your tastes. Being satisfied with my current tastes would mean not looking to discover anything new, and believe me, I read pretty much everything you write about music, because I have respect for your knowledge of the medium (even though I rarely agree with your tastes in the end!). Just like I read most of kihei's film reviews, because I have respect for his rigor as a cinéphile. My tastes are still my tastes, and I feel they're pretty "good" (you know, they're my tastes).

Transpose this listing thing on something else. X makes a list of his favorite meals, but afterwards scraps it, takes a few months to dine out, and redo that list in order to be now proud of it. Having fun making the list up and going out of your way to discover new meals to maybe add to it? Great! Being proud of your new acquired tastes? That just sounds wannabe-pretentious to me, but maybe there is a disconnect in language (English ain't my first language, so might compromise my understanding of what is meant).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not saying one should be "satisfied with their current tastes", on the contrary, I'm saying there's nothing to be proud of, or satisfied with, about your tastes. Being satisfied with my current tastes would mean not looking to discover anything new, and believe me, I read pretty much everything you write about music, because I have respect for your knowledge of the medium (even though I rarely agree with your tastes in the end!). Just like I read most of kihei's film reviews, because I have respect for his rigor as a cinéphile. My tastes are still my tastes, and I feel they're pretty "good" (you know, they're my tastes).

Transpose this listing thing on something else. X makes a list of his favorite meals, but afterwards scraps it, takes a few months to dine out, and redo that list in order to be now proud of it. Having fun making the list up and going out of your way to discover new meals to maybe add to it? Great! Being proud of your new acquired tastes? That just sounds wannabe-pretentious to me, but maybe there is a disconnect in language (English ain't my first language, so might compromise my understanding of what is meant).
Your tastes are your tastes, but they're also the outcome of the actions/attitudes you took to develop them. Organically warming up to something over time (without a say in whether you do or don't) is part of the process, but you still have to decide to listen to them in the first place. Why couldn't you be proud of something as simple as how you positioned yourself for the rewards to get to where they are, or just the fact that you actually listened to other perspectives and considered them? Why would that be pretentious? If you found stuff that you're personally really happy with, you did a good job, at least in some personal sense, no? It doesn't have to be an ego thing.

If you decided to try a bunch of new restaurants, what would be wrong with being proud of the fruits of that decision and investment? As long as you're not proud of some imaginary increase in status/reputation, I don't see what would make that wannabe-pretentious.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I definitely need people's opinions because I'm terrible at seeking out art/going down the rabbit hole. I was always decent at seeking out 'alternative' art (especially in cinema) but it would be a lie to say this place and a few posters haven't played a big part in the refinement since. But I've never felt like I'm ripping off (or even riffing off) someone else when I end up falling in love with it (and the pieces you do end up falling in love with may differ from the person you took the recommendation from). Though I get the discussion about pride, I think there's a disconnect about what pride actually means. Pride in terms of superiority as a human/cultural connoisseur is definitely pretentious for (i.e., your inner-life isn't more rich because you appreciate certain stuff above others and most importantly, will/are able to communicate it) but I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling pride at developing an ear/patience anymore than I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling pride at developing great mechanical skills (such as fixing a car or building a tree house).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think I'd even go a little further than that.

On some level, sure, it's pretty hard not to feel good about yourself for feeling like you've grown in some way (and I don't think there's anything wrong or pretentious about this either). But even THAT doesn't have to be it.

I'd say I mostly just feel proud that "I think this thing has value, irrespective of me, and I'm glad that I am (or someone else is) giving it the credit that I think it deserves. Even in the event that identifying this is not a remotely impressive thing to do/be able to do, I can still be proud that I happened to do it.

It's more akin to feeling proud of yourself for giving someone a nice compliment when they do a good thing, or.... I don't know, making the right call (in your view) when doing jury duty. It doesn't necessarily mean that you think you're so great-- you just did an action that you can feel good about doing.

Last edited:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Limited myself to one album per band, in no particular order

UFO - Strangers In The Night
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Deep Purple - Machine Head
AC/DC - Highway To Hell
Led Zeppelin - IV
Rush - 2112
Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - Number Of the Beast

Judas Priest - British Steel
Saxon - Strong Arm of The Law
Raven - Rock Until You Drop
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
King Diamond - Them
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Testament - The Legacy
Exodus - Bonded By Blood

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness
Death- Scream Bloody Gore
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Amon Amarth - With Oden On Our Side

Edit - oops forgot one of may absolute favorites:
Venom - Black Metal

Last edited:

LetsGoBuffalo1126

Nov 17, 2021
Phil Collins-But Seriously
Porcupine Tree-In Absentia
Hootie and the Blowfish-Cracked Rearview
Blackfield-Blackfield
Rush-Counterparts
Oasis-What's the Story Morning Glory
Pearl Jam-Ten
Metallica-The Black Album
Steven Wilson-Hand Cannot Erase
Genesis-Invisible Touch
Elton John-Sleeping With the Past
Aerosmith-Get a Grip
Porcupine Tree-Fear of a Blank Planet
Rush-Moving Pictures
Breaking Benjamin-Saturate
3 Doors Down-The Better Life
Blackfield-Blackfield V
Yes-Talk
Tears for Fears: Los Reyes Cotallicos

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I am going to make my list to start and probably edit later

Teir 1
I consider these objectively pretty much perfect albums, and they also happen to be some of my favorites

Illmatic
- Nas
Back to Black- Amy Winehouse
Nirvana Unplugged
Rumours- Fleetwood Mac
Revolver- The Beatles

Tier 2
my comfort albums, maybe not acclaimed as some, but I love them

Coexist- The xx (hence the avatar)
Dead and Born and Grown- The Staves
The Head and the Heart- self titled debut
A random Bob Marley demo compilation I found in a used record store that was released in the Netherlands by some random label
ZWc.jpeg

Tier 3
Just a bunch of other albums I like

Is This It?- The Strokes
Funeral-Arcade Fire
Grace-Jeff Buckley
Toxicity-System of a Down
Abbey Road- The Beatles
Pink Moon- Nick Drake
Meat is Murder- The Smiths
Electric Ladyland- Jimi Hendrix
Viva La Vida- Coldplay
40 oz to Freedom- Sublime
Ziggy Stardust- Bowie
Good News for People Who Love Bad News- Modest Mouse
A Toothpaste Suburb
- Milo (discovered this on HF entertainment like 10 years ago, for sure most random on this list)

Okay leaving a few spaces for now

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I am going to make my list to start and probably edit later

Teir 1
I consider these objectively pretty much perfect albums, and they also happen to be some of my favorites

Illmatic
- Nas
Back to Black- Amy Winehouse
Nirvana Unplugged
Rumours- Fleetwood Mac
Revolver- The Beatles

Tier 2
my comfort albums, maybe not acclaimed as some, but I love them

Coexist- The xx (hence the avatar)
Dead and Born and Grown- The Staves
The Head and the Heart- self titled debut
A random Bob Marley demo compilation I found in a used record store that was released in the Netherlands by some random label
ZWc.jpeg

Tier 3
Just a bunch of other albums I like

Is This It?- The Strokes
Funeral-Arcade Fire
Grace-Jeff Buckley
Toxicity-System of a Down
Abbey Road- The Beatles
Pink Moon- Nick Drake
Meat is Murder- The Smiths
Electric Ladyland- Jimi Hendrix
Viva La Vida- Coldplay
40 oz to Freedom- Sublime
Ziggy Stardust- Bowie
Good News for People Who Love Bad News- Modest Mouse
A Toothpaste Suburb
- Milo (discovered this on HF entertainment like 10 years ago, for sure most random on this list)

Okay leaving a few spaces for now
Do you have a tracklisting for the Bob Marley album?

Oxbow Lakes

Jun 1, 2015
Finland
Welp, lets see:

(one per artist)

Bob Dylan - Bring It All Back Home (1965)
The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968)
The Band - The Band (1969)
Stooges - Fun House (1970)
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (1972)
Can - Future Days (1973)
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps (1979)
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters (1982)
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (1982)
Mission of Burma - Vs. (1982)
Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (1982)
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime (1984)
The Replacements - Tim (1985)
Leevi and the Leavings - Häntä koipien välissä (1988)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime (1994)
Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda (1994)
OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (1994)
Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)
Deftones - White Pony (2000)
The Horrors - The Horrors (2000)
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (2001)
Life Without Buildings - Live at the Annandale Hotel (2007)
Chuck Person’s Eccojams Vol. 1 (2010)

Aaand some honorable mentions: Beggars Banquet (1968), In a Silent Way (1969), Master of Reality (1971), The B-52’s (1979), Blowout Comb (1994)

Looking at the list makes me feel kinda conflicted; I feel there should be more older and more recent stuff. Oh well, will probably never be fully content putting lists of this nature.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
First 25 to come to mind. I'm sure I'd alter this if I dug down deep and worked on it for a bit.

25. Paul McCartney- Band on the Run
24. Outkast- Aquemini
23. Prince- Controversy
22. Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
21. INXS- Kick
20. Paul Simon- Graceland
19. Blackalicious- Blazing Arrow
18. The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed
17. Michael Jackson- Off the Wall
16. Steely Dan- Aja
15. Lauryn Hill- The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
14. Vampire Weekend- Modern Vampires of the City
13. Elton John- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
12. The Roots- Illadelph Halflife
11. David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust
10. Canibus- Rip the Jacker
09. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois
08. Billy Joel- The Stranger
07. Gorillaz- Demon Days
06. Peter Gabriel- So
05. The Beatles- Rubber Soul
04. Blackalicious- Nia
03. The Talking Heads- Speaking In Tongues
02. David Bowie- Young Americans
01. The Beatles- Abbey Road

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Welp, lets see:

(one per artist)

Bob Dylan - Bring It All Back Home (1965)
The Kinks - The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society (1968)
The Band - The Band (1969)
Stooges - Fun House (1970)
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (1972)
Can - Future Days (1973)
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps (1979)
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disasters (1982)
Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing (1982)
Mission of Burma - Vs. (1982)
Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads (1982)
Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime (1984)
The Replacements - Tim (1985)
Leevi and the Leavings - Häntä koipien välissä (1988)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (1988)
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (1994)
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime (1994)
Organized Konfusion - Stress: The Extinction Agenda (1994)
OutKast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik (1994)
Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)
Deftones - White Pony (2000)
The Horrors - The Horrors (2000)
Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You (2001)
Life Without Buildings - Live at the Annandale Hotel (2007)

Chuck Person’s Eccojams Vol. 1 (2010)

Aaand some honorable mentions: Beggars Banquet (1968), In a Silent Way (1969), Master of Reality (1971), The B-52’s (1979), Blowout Comb (1994)

Looking at the list makes me feel kinda conflicted; I feel there should be more older and more recent stuff. Oh well, will probably never be fully content putting lists of this nature.

That Unwound album is phenomenal. And Life Without Buildings is awesome. I had to look twice to make sure I really saw that band on a list. And then a third time because I HAVEN'T EVEN LISTENED TO THAT LIVE ALBUM. I have Any Other City and the Love Trinity single.

Reactions: Oxbow Lakes

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Daniel Johnston - Lost Recordings 83
Sun City Girls - 330,003 Crossdressers From Beyond The Rig Veda
Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
The Velvet Underground
Paul & Linda McCartney - Ram
Beat Happening - You Turn Me On
Alice Coltrane - Journey in Satchidananda