The Decline of Joe Pavelski

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I wanted to trade him after he stunk up the Stanley Cup Final. He's too slow for the modern NHL. Yes he will still score with tips and deflections and the one timers from Thornton but the league gets faster and faster while he gets slower and slower. I would trade him asap and try to get as much value as possible. DW won't do that though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not sure he's declining just yet.

However, he likely will be soon enough and Doug would be a damn fool to offer him a new deal. At some point, you need to wave goodbye to some of the old guard, they get too old to keep them all on the team, and if this team can say goodbye to Marleau, they can say goodbye to Pavelski too.

I'm not saying he should be gone ASAP or even this year, but look to shop him in the offseason, or trade deadline 2019. Re-signing him would merely be nothing more than re-signing him just to re-sign him.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I'm not sure he's declining just yet.

However, he likely will be soon enough and Doug would be a damn fool to offer him a new deal. At some point, you need to wave goodbye to some of the old guard, they get too old to keep them all on the team, and if this team can say goodbye to Marleau, they can say goodbye to Pavelski too.

I'm not saying he should be gone ASAP or even this year, but look to shop him in the offseason, or trade deadline 2019. Re-signing him would merely be nothing more than re-signing him just to re-sign him.

DW tried to sign Patty and got outbid. Yeah, they said goodbye to him *sniff* but it wasn't on purpose. I'm afraid DW might try that again with Pavs. And I would rather have DW trade him for assets instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
DW tried to sign Patty and got outbid. Yeah, they said goodbye to him *sniff* but it wasn't on purpose. I'm afraid DW might try that again with Pavs. And I would rather have DW trade him for assets instead of letting him walk for nothing.
My point was that if Marleau didn't play here forever, it will be much easier to see Pavelski play somewhere else and cut ties with him.

I don't think he was ever signing him at nearly what Toronto was giving him, especially not in term.

It made more sense to sign Marleau this past offseason, than it will to extend Pavelski in 2019. This team could have been a contender for one last time with Marleau this year, or at least they had a much better shot than now. I don't expect this team to be anywhere near a contender by 2019. Thornton will either be gone or he'll be 40 years old. Most of this core will be aging, even Couture will be 30 by then. And Pavelski will be 35.

Can't hold on to every old guy on the team forever.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

DW stated in an interview that it was not about money, but other things which he did not name.

In the end, perhaps Toronto over-paid due to "false" bidding by the Sharks. If what DW stated is true, and they did make offers to Marleau (I recall they did), then what would it be?

It made more sense to sign Marleau this past offseason, than it will to extend Pavelski in 2019. This team could have been a contender for one last time with Marleau this year, or at least they had a much better shot than now.

Well, I say it made more sense to sign Marleau rather than Thornton this past off-season. Thornton is not a contending 1st line center anymore like what we're use to in his career. Even with Marleau and with or w/o Thornton, I don't believe the Sharks would be a serious contender for the cup. They've not integrated speed, or very little if any, yet. Plus, they seem to be steadfast against fixing their PP.

As to not extending Paps over Marleau, Pavelski has outscored Marleau in goals, points, and PPGs (with the exception of a tie in one year) since the strike shortened season. That's too much productivity.

Last edited:

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Serious question, has he scored any goals this season that weren’t tips?
No.
3 goals this year:
Goal one was against Montreal where it hit Pavelski then Weber and into the net.
Next goal was New Jersey shot from Braun tipped by Pavs.
Third goal Leaves game tipped Heed shot.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Kurz with a REALLY good article on Pavs and the future

In the midst of a remarkable, resurgent season, Joe...

“The other night our staff was out for dinner and we were talking about how well he’s handled it,” DeBoer said before the Sharks-Jets game. “It’s not easy to be at that point in your career and to go through a year like this and handle it the way he has. … He doesn’t even talk about it. Never is discussed. He just goes out and does his business. I think when you have confidence in your own game and what you’re capable of doing when you’re healthy, you understand that everything is going to take care of itself. But you still have family and it’s still human nature. I think he’s done an outstanding job.”

When asked about Pavelski’s ability to put the team before himself, Thornton said: “It doesn’t surprise me and it probably doesn’t surprise people that follow the team. He works extremely hard on and off the ice. He does it every year. I can’t say enough good things about him. He practices his craft every single day and that’s what I like to see.”

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
He’s been a treat to watch. High highlight real this season will be a beauty. So many fantastic goals.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Lol so this is what we're doing? Bumping old threads to burn folks with their own hot takes? Never been gladder to be the new guy ;)

That said, it's been great to see Pav evolve his game over the years, and find the things he can do on the ice that nobody else can do. When he took the C, I was skeptical about anybody but Jumbo leading this team, but he's more than lived up to it. And if Jumbo can embrace and thrive in a bottom-6 role for the good of the team, I see no reason to expect otherwise from Pav. I only hope that DW can find the cap space to offer him a contract that respects his ability and what he's meant to the team all these years.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Pavelski is an anomaly of hockey and pro sports. He gets older, he gets slower, he plays about the same he always had, and his possession numbers stay the same.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Lol so this is what we're doing? Bumping old threads to burn folks with their own hot takes? Never been gladder to be the new guy ;)

No, this was the most recent thread about Pavelski.......so I put this in the most recent thread about Pavelski. Don't take things so personally buddy.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

That said, it's been great to see Pav evolve his game over the years, and find the things he can do on the ice that nobody else can do. When he took the C, I was skeptical about anybody but Jumbo leading this team, but he's more than lived up to it. And if Jumbo can embrace and thrive in a bottom-6 role for the good of the team, I see no reason to expect otherwise from Pav. I only hope that DW can find the cap space to offer him a contract that respects his ability and what he's meant to the team all these years.
It probably depends on just how condescending the hot takes or the person making them is/was. I know that's probably why the other one about Meier got brought up. Frankly it was warranted despite the other poster's numerous great contributions to the conversations here.

Pavs is a freak. Love his leadership and all but his shooting percentage is similar to what William Karlsson did last year if I'm not mistaken...? I don't expect him to maintain this shooting percentage in the years to come but who knows. Still a huge risk to offer him a high dollar contract for any decent term. If there is a guy I would have bet on between Pavs, Jumbo and Marleau it would have been Marleau due to his never really being injured, great physical tools and incredibly natural skating... but look how that turned out. He's barely worth a 3 mil contract at this point IMO and jumbo and pass are looking like 7-8 mil dollar players still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
No, this was the most recent thread about Pavelski.......so I put this in the most recent thread about Pavelski. Don't take things so personally buddy.
No, I'm not taking anything personally, sorry if my intended tone didn't carry through like I thought it would. I just thought it was funny seeing this thread resurrected right after the Timo thread and had a moment of being very glad I haven't been posting here long enough to be publicly and drastically wrong yet! I'm sure my turn will come, and I hope when it does, it's because another Shark is succeeding beyond my wildest fantasies (or grimmest predictions). Cheers!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad