The Decline of Joe Pavelski

Chomped

Jan 24, 2007
Pavs is a very good player when playing with other very good players. If the Sharks are struggling when the trade deadline comes around, he and Jumbo should be flipped for younger pieces.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pavs is a very good player when playing with other very good players. If the Sharks are struggling when the trade deadline comes around, he and Jumbo should be flipped for younger pieces.

That will likely be an off-season move when it comes to Pavs over the trade deadline. The Sharks will be looking to move Thornton, Ward, and Hansen if they're struggling at the deadline. I don't think they'll do any more than that at that point.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I'd like to see Pavelski moved this summer, as I think this might be the last year that his value is really high. But I would be absolutely stunned if DW traded him. He's a DW type player, and DW is loyal to his players to a fault, imo.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Get rid of Burke, get someone that can draft in the first round. Trade Jumbo for a first+prospect at the deadline. Trade Braun to TOR for Bracco+Carrick+2nd. Trade Dillon to whoever for a 2nd. Trade Martin to whoever for a 3rd+4th. Trade Boedker for future considerations. Trade Pavs for MTL's first who won 2nd overall and we win the lottery.

Svechnikov-Hertl-Meier
Labanc-Couture-Donskoi
Balcers-Tierny-Bracco
Karlsson-Carpeneter-Goodrow

Vlasic-Dahlin
Ryan-Burns
Carrick-Heed

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Get rid of Burke, get someone that can draft in the first round. Trade Jumbo for a first+prospect at the deadline. Trade Braun to TOR for Bracco+Carrick+2nd. Trade Dillon to whoever for a 2nd. Trade Martin to whoever for a 3rd+4th. Trade Boedker for future considerations. Trade Pavs for MTL's first who won 2nd overall and we win the lottery.

Svechnikov-Hertl-Meier
Labanc-Couture-Donskoi
Balcers-Tierny-Bracco
Karlsson-Carpeneter-Goodrow

Vlasic-Dahlin
Ryan-Burns
Carrick-Heed

Pretty sure that Dahlin plays on the left side, Carrick on the right side, and there's no way that Montreal trades that pick for Pavelski. Also, Braun shouldn't be traded for that if we were lucky enough to get Dahlin.

However, I'm all for getting rid of Burke but that only happens if they get rid of DW. And I am for renting Thornton out at the deadline if they're not in the playoff picture along with Ward and Hansen. Pavs is likely an off-season trade in that scenario and honestly if we can tag Boedker with Pavs and get a 2nd and a prospect for them, that'd be a win in my book. I'm only for trading Braun if they can get a 1st round pick for him. Otherwise, we ought to keep him at least until his contract year. I'd be for trading Dillon or Martin now and certainly the other if they get Dahlin. But right now, the focus should be finding a place for either Dillon or Martin. I'd say Dillon due to value and the fact that him being healthy will make it an easier trade sell than Martin right now. They need to do what they need to in order to keep Ryan in the lineup.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like Pavelski, but his skating has gotten so bad. I also think he should be moved before his value falls off a cliff. I think I wanted him moved this past offseason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like Pavelski, but his skating has gotten so bad. I also think he should be moved before his value falls off a cliff. I think I wanted him moved this past offseason.

I don't know if DW has it in him to trade Pavelski. I think the only way he gets dealt is if DW is canned and the new guy just tells Pavs what the deal is and Pavs will probably look elsewhere to try and win a Cup. DW has a history of letting the big guys walk over trading them away if they're going to go.

Reactions: CrypTic

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't know if DW has it in him to trade Pavelski. I think the only way he gets dealt is if DW is canned and the new guy just tells Pavs what the deal is and Pavs will probably look elsewhere to try and win a Cup. DW has a history of letting the big guys walk over trading them away if they're going to go.

I agree about DW not trading him. He’s too loyal to his players, which is a problem.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Pavelski has been getting pummeled and punished in front of the net setting up for screens and tips for years now and his body is probably starting to break down because of it

He's 33 years old and below average size for an NHL player, so while he doesn't play a tough hitting grinding game he's taken enough of a beating that he's probably already past his prime, it's actually amazing how effective he continued to be into his early 30s

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Depends on whether Jumbo turns it around honestly.
Thornton has 7 points in 8 games so far, is winning 60% of his faceoffs and 3 of those points are PPP.

What exactly are you expecting a 38 year old to turn around?

Pavelski's struggles so far have to do with his visibly declined skating. I am shopping him in my keeper league

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Thornton has 7 points in 8 games so far, is winning 60% of his faceoffs and 3 of those points are PPP.

What exactly are you expecting a 38 year old to turn around?

Pavelski's struggles so far have to do with his visibly declined skating. I am shopping him in my keeper league

I'm waiting longer than 8 games. If we're using that type of sample size then Pavelski isn't doing that bad with 5 points in 8 games. I mean, he's had four points in the last four games.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's sad because he was so amazing when he had that legendary playoff run in 15-16. There were non-Sharks fans on the main board suggesting he was the best player in the league.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's sad because he was so amazing when he had that legendary playoff run in 15-16. There were non-Sharks fans on the main board suggesting he was the best player in the league.

And he wasn't even the 3rd best on his own team lol.

4th or 5th depending on how you rank jones for that run.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pavelski was absolutely incredible in that 2015-2016 playoff run. Absolutely no question he was our best player through the first three rounds.

Also, I’m not overly convinced Thornton is “fine”, despite his point totals. I’ve only watched half our games so far but I haven’t seen any truly classic dominating Jumbo shifts.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Pavelski was absolutely incredible in that 2015-2016 playoff run. Absolutely no question he was our best player through the first three rounds.

Also, I’m not overly convinced Thornton is “fine”, despite his point totals. I’ve only watched half our games so far but I haven’t seen any truly classic dominating Jumbo shifts.

Same with thornton. Hence the quietly putting up 7 points in 8 games comment against the rangers.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yeah. I suppose you could argue Burns, Jones, and Couture were better if you take all 4 rounds into account. Pavelski was a non-factor in the finals while Burns, Couture, and Jones were all great against Pittsburgh, but Pavelski was still the man in those playoffs. 13 goals in the first 18 games. He put the team on his back and carried us to the Western Conference Finals and I will never (insert a word that means the exact opposite of forgive) him for that. It was legendary. It was beautiful.

And I know it's hard to even imagine him creating his own offense because he hasn't really done it at all since then but he did create his own offense back then. I remember Kings fans saying that he reminded them of Patrick Kane in the offensive zone. He's fallen off since then but Pavelski used to actually create his own offense and he was actually one of the best players in the league. Maybe not top-10 but he was 6th in points and 5th in goals and he was still a fantastic defensive forward at that time. He was an amazing player. It's so sad how quickly he and the rest of the team fell off. Just watching those clips from the 15-16 playoffs, our team had insane offensive chemistry. They completely fell off right after.

I blame Boedker.

Onto your next point, I honestly think Thornton is closer to his 15-16 form than Pavelski is. He isn't the dominant PPG freak he was back then but I still think he's pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
But guys... he's the best tipper in the league! We know this as we're constantly reminded every game by Randy and Jamie...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
And I am for renting Thornton out at the deadline if they're not in the playoff picture along with Ward and Hansen.

That just means DW will sign him again prior to next season. If Thornton is traded, it also means that DW made one heck of an $8million mistake.

There is no way DW does not retain JT's salary unless too much of value is thrown in as well. Bottom line is that JT is not the JT of old, and is not playing at a $8m/yr level.

Sharks needed to make a clean break from the core players of this past era. Certainly when Marleau bolted, but DW signed JT afterwards.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That just means DW will sign him again prior to next season. If Thornton is traded, it also means that DW made one heck of an $8million mistake.

There is no way DW does not retain JT's salary unless too much of value is thrown in as well. Bottom line is that JT is not the JT of old, and is not playing at a $8m/yr level.

Sharks needed to make a clean break from the core players of this past era. Certainly when Marleau bolted, but DW signed JT afterwards.

He's at a point-per-game pace right now. Retaining at the deadline on a rental doesn't mean that DW made a mistake re-signing him and for the dollar amount given. Generally, a rental being retained is a good thing as it maximizes the value of the return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad