The decline of hockey in the "State of hockey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Change happens. Bloomington used to rule when it came to youth and HS hockey. Not so any more.

Cities or towns that have highly rated schools tend to have good hockey.

Yeah, well...it's a bit more complicated than that...

There's a tremendous amount of blame to go around for today's America's big cities - every single one of them - being places you can't walk around at night. A tremendous amount of blame.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Go to any rink next weekend and you will see for yourself how nuts summer hockey is. There is not a decline

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Go to any rink next weekend and you will see for yourself how nuts summer hockey is. There is not a decline

Where are you going to? I can count the amount of rinks I've seen with a good amount of people at them on one hand in the last 10 years. Birchwood Village (winner by far, no wonder Mahtomedi has become so good), Rosemount, one of the rinks in Oakdale, and very occasionally a rink in Minneapolis (which is abandoned all but a few days of the winter). Unless I go out of my way to go to Birchwood, I'm never guaranteed to see other people.

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
you means the ones that are shut down in st.paul and minneapolis ?
What aren't you understanding about the changing demographics in Minneapolis and St. Paul? Like others have said, hockey isn't going anywhere, it is just moving farther out of the inner city. According to Minnesota Hockey magazine, there were 18,839 8U players in Minnesota, around 15 percent of the 122,135 8U players across the country. In Minnesota, there were 14,030 boys and 4,809 girls registered in 2017-18, and 7,053 of them were playing for the first time. That's 3 straight years that Minnesota has broken a record for participants 8U.

I can't find the data for 18-19.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
What aren't you understanding about the changing demographics in Minneapolis and St. Paul? Like others have said, hockey isn't going anywhere, it is just moving farther out of the inner city. According to Minnesota Hockey magazine, there were 18,839 8U players in Minnesota, around 15 percent of the 122,135 8U players across the country. In Minnesota, there were 14,030 boys and 4,809 girls registered in 2017-18, and 7,053 of them were playing for the first time. That's 3 straight years that Minnesota has broken a record for participants 8U.

I can't find the data for 18-19.
i made this thread because of the changing demographics and how hockey needs to try to get those demographic to start playing hockey

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Which comes down to someone stepping in to subsidize it, and I don't see that happening.
Actually, in some towns the Hockey associations are subsidizing some of the initial years of hockey. You can't do that forever , though. Playing hockey is expensive, but not too bad at a recreational level. What is the killer is when you want to be competitive as a player with some of the best. Then summer hockey ( $$) is a must, as are clinics, and off ice training. At least in MN you don't have to travel far for a good game, so plane fare is not an issue, usually.
So, it's partially the expense, partially cultural- let's face it, there aren't a bunch of Canadians moving into St.Paul( or wherever), and partially that hockey tends to be more of a suburban/town sport. The city of Toronto has far less kids playing hockey per capita than in it's suburbs and surrounding towns and cities like Mississauga, Scarborough, Markham, Hamilton, etc..

A Latino kid might be an oddball in his family and idolize McDavid, but it's far more likely that he ( with the encouragement of his family) has Almiron and Messi as his heroes. Not a bad thing, just the way it is. In general, hockey is far more popular as a game in the US that it used to be 40-70 years ago.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017
Where are you going to? I can count the amount of rinks I've seen with a good amount of people at them on one hand in the last 10 years. Birchwood Village (winner by far, no wonder Mahtomedi has become so good), Rosemount, one of the rinks in Oakdale, and very occasionally a rink in Minneapolis (which is abandoned all but a few days of the winter). Unless I go out of my way to go to Birchwood, I'm never guaranteed to see other people.
Huge AAA tournaments all April, May, July, August at EP, Edina, Super Rink, Maple Grove, etc. They are all ran by showcase. Of course I'm speaking of youth hockey and not adult hockey because who cares about that?

Reactions: 2Pair

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The Wolves will never be good...granted they don't miss their opportunity to catch lightening in a bottle again and not completely foul up letting "the greatest shooter in the history of the NBA" (Curry) walk through their hands twice in one night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad