The decline of hockey in the "State of hockey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
the same "state of hockey" where its biggest city can only has one high school tea
High school football is basically a religion in Texas. There are only 2 high school teams in Houston, the biggest city in Texas which is almost 6x bigger than Minneapolis. So football also isn't a big deal in Texas? Or maybe there's more to it than the limited window of how many teams happen to be in the biggest city?

District 5

Mar 1, 2014
the same "state of hockey" where its biggest city can only has one high school tea

Demographics of Minneapolis have changed quite a bit in the last 40 years. The Minneapolis City Conference that consists of Southwest, Edison, Washburn, Patrick Henry, Roosevelt, South, and North, all used to have hockey programs. However the demographics in Minneapolis have changed. For example, >80% of students qualify for free and reduced lunch at North and Edison.

It has nothing to do with the "state of hockey" montra, and everything the do with the ever changing cultural climate in Minneapolis.

Reactions: 2Pair

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Genuinely curious - and if someone has worked in a local rink please educate me -

We have dozens of rinks in and around the metro area. However, when looking for stick and puck sessions literally only two rinks in the south metro offer them. Yet, they appear to me to be incredibly popular especially for being mid-day time slots. However, many rinks rather have the ice not utilized during the day instead of having a dozen people or so (sometimes more) come in and skate for an hour/hour and a half for $5 a head.

It’s incredibly stupid imo. When looking at out of state rinks, they offer stick and puck ice frequently compared to those in MN. I mean you have to refrigerate the ice either way, so why not make that skate available?

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Genuinely curious - and if someone has worked in a local rink please educate me -

We have dozens of rinks in and around the metro area. However, when looking for stick and puck sessions literally only two rinks in the south metro offer them. Yet, they appear to me to be incredibly popular especially for being mid-day time slots. However, many rinks rather have the ice not utilized during the day instead of having a dozen people or so (sometimes more) come in and skate for an hour/hour and a half for $5 a head.

It’s incredibly stupid imo. When looking at out of state rinks, they offer stick and puck ice frequently compared to those in MN. I mean you have to refrigerate the ice either way, so why not make that skate available?

What the heck is stick and puck ice?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Around me, I've talked to some rink managers about why they don't open up during the day. The answer came down to basically "it's not worth the hassle."
-The pro-shop and concession stand won't be open, so people complain.
-Locker rooms need to be looked after extra times. Not everyone cleans up after themselves like they should.
-Daytime is when any rink maintenance/cleaning gets done. The rink has 1 (or none) person on during the day to take care of that stuff. Having to either hire someone else, or have them lose a couple of hours because they are in the booth babysitting things isn't cost effective.
- Some of the ones the cities own will have school gym classes throughout the year.
- They have also said they will let people come in and use the ice if they ask. Daytime ice is cheap to rent by the hour. If you get to be buddies with them, most will let a small group in for free (as long as they mind their manners.

Mat74

May 1, 2019
Totally new to all this so is this just a Minneapolis metro area problem? Just watched a documentary about hockey in Duluth. It's not dying out up there too is it?

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Wait, what's the problem?
If you mean the demographics changing, I don't see it as a problem. Less kids play hockey here, but more play here.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you mean the demographics changing, I don't see it as a problem. Less kids play hockey here, but more play here.
Yeah, hockey hasn't left the state, it just moved away from the inner city. Compare the programs from places like Chaska, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Stillwater, Maple Grove to what they were 20 years ago.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
You mean the attitude that accepts that demographics change? Should we take away women's right to vote too? Because that was a change.
i know the demographics are changing its the fact that no one seems to want to do anything about trying to grow the sport in these demographics

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Around me, I've talked to some rink managers about why they don't open up during the day. The answer came down to basically "it's not worth the hassle."
-The pro-shop and concession stand won't be open, so people complain.
-Locker rooms need to be looked after extra times. Not everyone cleans up after themselves like they should.
-Daytime is when any rink maintenance/cleaning gets done. The rink has 1 (or none) person on during the day to take care of that stuff. Having to either hire someone else, or have them lose a couple of hours because they are in the booth babysitting things isn't cost effective.
- Some of the ones the cities own will have school gym classes throughout the year.
- They have also said they will let people come in and use the ice if they ask. Daytime ice is cheap to rent by the hour. If you get to be buddies with them, most will let a small group in for free (as long as they mind their manners.

Thanks for the insight. I'll be honest, I think many rink managers and staff are lazy as shit.
I've been to more rinks here in MN where the bathrooms and locker room showers haven't been touched/cleaned for months/weeks. Braemar, EP, and Burnsville have the cleanest facilities that I've been too. Picking up tape and sweeping lockers isnt tasking at all. Plus, the nature of running a facility is to... well keep it clean and making it available for use. And again, owning or providing a rink is a business and you should welcome in revenue especially when the "service" (ice) is there anyways and unused. I've never walked into a rink when ice was unused and asked if I can skate it.. Ive heard of people being successful at being able to use it for free or a couple of bucks - but even then, why not just hold a publicly available time slot and make people pay? Idk... maybe the staffing thing MAY make the lack of availability somewhat understandable but... eh.....

I know you're just the messenger, so this is not meant at you. i'm venting cause it's stupid.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've only been to Houston once and i thought it was a dump.
somewhere in between the two. I can't take the heat and humidity there, but they probably think we are insane for living in 6 months of winter.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Demographics of Minneapolis have changed quite a bit in the last 40 years. The Minneapolis City Conference that consists of Southwest, Edison, Washburn, Patrick Henry, Roosevelt, South, and North, all used to have hockey programs. However the demographics in Minneapolis have changed. For example, >80% of students qualify for free and reduced lunch at North and Edison.

It has nothing to do with the "state of hockey" montra, and everything the do with the ever changing cultural climate in Minneapolis.

Yeah, hockey hasn't left the state, it just moved away from the inner city. Compare the programs from places like Chaska, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Stillwater, Maple Grove to what they were 20 years ago.

and this attitude is the problem I'm talking about.

Exactly. It's horrible. Absolutely dreadful. I've been on the East Side of St. Paul all my life - literally the MECCA of the entire United States, for hockey. And to see it have died out like it has has cut out a part of my soul.

And it has not been for the better. Anyone who says so is probably living in some place where the "white flight" keeps them nice and cozy at night and they have not had to deal with the ramifications of this demographic change they seem to celebrate so much.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Exactly. It's horrible. Absolutely dreadful. I've been on the East Side of St. Paul all my life - literally the MECCA of the entire United States, for hockey. And to see it have died out like it has has cut out a part of my soul.

And it has not been for the better. Anyone who says so is probably living in some place where the "white flight" keeps them nice and cozy at night and they have not had to deal with the ramifications of this demographic change they seem to celebrate so much.
So what's the solution then?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Change happens. Bloomington used to rule when it came to youth and HS hockey. Not so any more.

Cities or towns that have highly rated schools tend to have good hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad