The Deal with Nathan Beaulieu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swish

Dec 5, 2013
New Brunswick
Tinordi deserved his chance with the team and I'm glad we've been able to see him play, but I think it's obvious Beaulieu fills a bigger need on the back-end. The Habs need his smooth skating and ability to move the puck out of their zone. He also keeps Bouillon and Gorges (when he returns) off the PP.

If he was sulking about being stuck in Hamilton, I can understand why management didn't reward him with another call-up. All a part of development and growing pains, I guess. Bergevin seems very serious about creating a certain atmosphere in the room and it appears to be working well for the team. Props to him for that. Hopefully any "character issues" are resolved and we can see how a bottom pairing of Beaulieu-Weaver looks.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
The guy is a ****** he has proved that already, but so are lots of professional athletes it should come down to if he can play or not, I think he can

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Gotta love the posters advocating the idea that "if you worked hard, put in the effort, and didn't get what you earned, well, work harder!!! Earn it MOAR!!" If you don't you're just an entitled brat!"

Sulking isn't the ideal response, but telling someone to "work harder" while giving them the impression that hard work is in no way rewarded is an equally ignorant and entitled position for the team, or any organization, to take.

Last edited:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I think Bergevin can be a vey good GM, cant say the same for the coaching staff he hired (canadiens and Bulldogs).

I have doubts these coaches can develop the young and upcoming. One of the problem is that they don't have any patience or tolerance which I also believe Bergevin is at fault in this respect. Bergevin said it himself - lets make the playoffs first. As for the bulldogs coaching staff, they are just terrible.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Gotta love the posters advocating the idea that "if you worked hard, put in the effort, and didn't get what you earned, well, work harder!!! Earn it MOAR!!" If you don't you're just an entitled brat!"

Sulking isn't the ideal response, but telling someone to "work harder" while giving them the impression that hard work is no way rewarded is an equally ignorant and entitled position for the team, or any organization, to take.

It's not about working harder, it's about not losing focus when things don't go your way. Success in the NHL is in large part overcomi9ng obstacles, bad calls, bad breaks, injuries, linemate traded or signs elsewhere, don't get the contract you want, fans are on you...need to overcome adversity all the time.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
People look at Nyquist with the Wings and go "gee the Red Wings are so good at being patient with their youngsters, I wish we were that good at developing our youngsters!" and then act like we're ruining a 21 year old Beaulieu by making him play in the AHL for 2 years. Hilarious.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think Bergevin can be a vey good GM, cant say the same for the coaching staff he hired (canadiens and Bulldogs).

I have doubts these coaches can develop the young and upcoming. One of the problem is that they don't have any patience or tolerance which I also believe Bergevin is at fault in this respect. Bergevin said it himself - lets make the playoffs first. As for the bulldogs coaching staff, they are just terrible.

Not sure what you mean by "not having patience". They seem very patient with all the prospects, they will hold them back rather than rush them.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This organization sure loves sending messages to its bright young defensemen.

In Beaulieu's short tenure before the Olympic break, he was easily better than Emelin, Bouillon, and Murray. He was also played significantly better than Tinordi has in his tenure. This kid can help our transition game, our PP, and help us get the puck out of our ****ing zone while not being a liability in his own zone.

But no. He wasn't happy he got sent down, so **** him let's teach him a lesson.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
People look at Nyquist with the Wings and go "gee the Red Wings are so good at being patient with their youngsters, I wish we were that good at developing our youngsters!" and then act like we're ruining a 21 year old Beaulieu by making him play in the AHL for 2 years. Hilarious.

Exactly, the guy is going to be 25 before next year and has spent 3 years NCAA and parts of 4 years AHL before being a full time NHLer.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

It's not really about ruining him. I have no doubt Beaulieu will eventually be a top 4 defenseman on this team.

It's about icing the best roster, rather than acting like a retirement home for the coach's buddies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This organization sure loves sending messages to its bright young defensemen.

In Beaulieu's short tenure before the Olympic break, he was easily better than Emelin, Bouillon, and Murray. He was also played significantly better than Tinordi has in his tenure. This kid can help our transition game, our PP, and help us get the puck out of our ****ing zone while not being a liability in his own zone.

But no. He wasn't happy he got sent down, so **** him let's teach him a lesson.

I don't think it's his "not being happy" that upset them, it was either his work ethic(practice, off ice) or on ice play after being sent down.

I like the fact that they are developing Beaulieu to be a stud, not just get to the NHL quick and learn how to survive. He also seems to require more maturity.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
It's not really about ruining him. I have no doubt Beaulieu will eventually be a top 4 defenseman on this team.

It's about icing the best roster, rather than acting like a retirement home for the coach's buddies.

Actually I think it's about doing what's best for Beaulieu's long term development. The Habs will gladly take a few more losses playing Bouillon over Beaulieu today if it means Beaulieu develops to his full potential and becomes a stud for them the next 10 years.

Look at Tyler Myers in Buffalo. The organization handed him the keys to the franchise after one great year and ruined him for the next three, at least. Was the trade-off worth it? I wouldn't say so, and in hindsight I bet they would do things differently.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Actually I think it's about doing what's best for Beaulieu's long term development. The Habs will gladly take a few more losses playing Bouillon over Beaulieu today if it means Beaulieu develops to his full potential and becomes a stud for them the next 10 years.

Look at Tyler Myers in Buffalo. The organization handed him the keys to the franchise after one great year and ruined him for the next three, at least. Was the trade-off worth it? I wouldn't say so, and in hindsight I bet they would do things differently.

Exactly, that's why you bring in guys like Bouillon, Murray, Weaver, Armstrong, Halpern etc So you can develop your young players and promote them when they are ready not when the team needs them. I think LeBlanc is the perfect case of reaching the NHL too soon hurting a kid's development. The last 2 years his drive has not been the same.

He had better AHL stats at 20(22 points in 31 games) than at 21(18 points in 62 games) and 22(26 points in 63 games), that tells a story.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Not worried about 'ruining' beaulieu so much as we have a better chance of winning games with him out there.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Pejorative Slured ''sports journalist" and bi-polar Habs fans shoud just chill the **** out.

Beaulieu will be a Habs for years.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

Fair point. But playing a 21 year old as a 6th defenseman is different from playing a 19 year old defenseman as a #1 before handing him a ludicrous contract.

I doubt playing Beaulieu at this point of the season and of his career would affect his development. If anything, the playoff experience would be beneficial for his development. We also have a nice group of veterans that would help keep him in line.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Fair point. But playing a 21 year old as a 6th defenseman is different from playing a 19 year old defenseman as a #1 before handing him a ludicrous contract.

I doubt playing Beaulieu at this point of the season and of his career would affect his development. If anything, the playoff experience would be beneficial for his development. We also have a nice group of veterans that would help keep him in line.

If Beaulieu lacks maturity, I think he'll acquire it faster playing in front of 5,000 fans and making $2,500 a month than playing in front of 20k with a million more on TV and making $35,000 a month.

As an NHL GM you need to see farther than "we have to win tonight's game", especially with young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad