The Deal with Nathan Beaulieu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Arpon Basu tweeted this article (it's French) to Eric Engels on Twitter earlier. It's outlines what happened with Beaulieu after he got sent down after the olympic break.

For those who can't read French or want a quick summary, it basically confirms most of our suspicions; it quotes Patrice Brisebois in saying that Beaulieu sulked after Tinordi got called up after the Olympic break instead of him, that he was frustrated with the decision and did not understand. Brisebois says that Beaulieu didn't play very well for a bit after his demotion, but has since raised his game back up to a good level. He then went onto say that Beaulieu is a good kid and that he will play in the NHL one day, but when? It depends on a lot of factors, especially Nathan himself.

Myself, I understand why the kid was mad. Imagine working at a job and it looks like you're about to receive a promotion. They bring you into a department and even seemingly let a guy go (Diaz) to fit you in. Then, after Christmas vacation, you come back to find that you're no longer needed in that department and they decided to bring in this other kid instead, even though you're fully capable. (This analogy is getting out of hand, I know, but you get the point). It would be frustrating for anyone. I also think he should be in the line-up over some of our "vets" as well, not just Tinordi.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Punishment too harsh, just right, or not enough?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Based on his play he should be here. Period.

It has to be some other reason. We don't know the full story here so I don't think it's fair to comment from that perspective. What I will say though is that we're about five or six games away from the postseason and he HAS to be on our roster come playoff time.

Whatever message they wanted to send has been sent. Its time to call him up.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Should he suck it up? Sure. But he's a kid who has excelled since junior and probably isn't used to being passed up for other players. He looked great when he was in Montreal and did not deserve to be sent down.

He should be upset, but he should also let his play do the talking. Still lots of room for growth with him, physically and mentally.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
As long as Brolieu doesn't go the Leblanc way...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Arpon Basu tweeted this article (it's French) to Eric Engels on Twitter earlier. It's outlines what happened with Beaulieu after he got sent down after the olympic break.

For those who can't read French or want a quick summary, it basically confirms most of our suspicions; it quotes Patrice Brisebois in saying that Beaulieu sulked after Tinordi got called up after the Olympic break instead of him, that he was frustrated with the decision and did not understand. Brisebois says that Beaulieu didn't play very well for a bit after his demotion, but has since raised his game back up to a good level. He then went onto say that Beaulieu is a good kid and that he will play in the NHL one day, but when? It depends on a lot of factors, especially Nathan himself.

Myself, I understand why the kid was mad. Imagine working at a job and it looks like you're about to receive a promotion. They bring you into a department and even seemingly let a guy go (Diaz) to fit you in. Then, after Christmas vacation, you come back to find that you're no longer needed in that department and they decided to bring in this other kid instead, even though you're fully capable. (This analogy is getting out of hand, I know, but you get the point). It would be frustrating for anyone. I also think he should be in the line-up over some of our "vets" as well, not just Tinordi.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? Punishment too harsh, just right, or not enough?

Not necessarily punishment but a learning process.

Beaulieu was solid before being sent down, but hardly established himself as a guy that must be in the lineup every night. He's made nice strides in the last 2 years but if he thinks he's "arrived" and has it made then that's the wrong approach.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Too harsh. I think Beaulieu should dealt with it in the first place while it was the Olympic break. However, I do understand his frustration. He played well and he was showing signs to taking a spot. I never got to understand why he wasn't recalled in the first place.

I'm really hoping that with Murray suspended, they'll bring up Beaulieu and play him as well as Tinordi in the lineup (on different pairs). I don't they will though...

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Based on his play he should be here. Period.

It has to be some other reason. We don't know the full story here so I don't think it's fair to comment from that perspective. What I will say though is that we're about five or six games away from the postseason and he HAS to be on our roster come playoff time.

Whatever message they wanted to send has been sent. Its time to call him up.

Why does it have to be some other reason? The cube gets more TOI than the current Norris winner. WTF would anyone think there are rational thought processes behind the coaching moves? :shakehead

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
I honestly feel for him. He didn't seem to do anything wrong when he was up and although it he shouldn't have made a big deal about being sent down during the olympic break, I'm sure he's learnt his lesson and he should be up right now.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
They expect him to be happy about being in the minors? I understand they want a better work ethic especially in the offseason but why would they want him to be happy to go to be in the AHL?

He's a skilled player so he will be underrated by the habs... Seems to happen more on defence for whatever reason.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I trust the people in charge. They're managing teenagers and most of them have a lot to learn before calling themselves professionals. It's no knock at Beaulieu, I know I wasn't the most mature person at 21 years old. It's all part of the learning process and being a team player.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
He deserves a spot on this blue line. He had every reason to be upset.

He went wrong by making it public. Should of kept it too himself. Doesn't help that he already had the label of having a bad attitude, before all this even happened...

So yeah, this doesn't surprise me one bit. I just hope the Habs don't mess with this kids development. If he goes into the off-season pissed off that he didn't get the call back up, I don't see him as the type of player who would work harder to get it.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I trust the people in charge. They're managing teenagers and most of them have a lot to learn before calling themselves professionals. It's no knock at Beaulieu, I know I wasn't the most mature person at 21 years old. It's all part of the learning process and being a team player.

I think I trust Bergevin. I don't trust Therrien, Lefebvre or Brisebois. Beaulieu has to mature but I'm not sure Lefebvre and Brisebois are the guys to tell him how to do it. I suspect Beaulieu would be better off in the NHL with Subban and Markov showing him how to play and how to train. He's pretty much the best player in Hamilton, at least he should be, so I doubt he feels pushed to get better.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I think Beaulieu is the type of person that could really benefit from a few visits to the resident psychologist. He needs a stronger mentality. Also, I find it odd that Bergevin wouldn't tell Beaulieu why he sent up Tinordi instead of him, he is just instilling doubt that way.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Boy, I guess this is all about developing...but the kid sure did play well when he was up before the break...sounds like maybe they didn't keep him in the loop as to what their plans were? Maybe that's what upset him about Tinordi's call up, and not him? Who knows, but if you sulk and let it effect your play...then the organization makes the decisions to look at your character and maturity a little closer...

Jiggernaut

Mar 20, 2006
Stittsville, ON

Agreed. And there a numerous people within the organization that watch these kids on and off the ice.

If he doesn't understand why he wasn't called up after the olympics, from a organizational stand point, then I'd be concerned with the communication.

But if this is just another case of entitlement, then let him finish out the season in the AHL. There are other players on this team that have gone through this process themselves and have earned their right to be on the roster full time. Whether people here agree with it or not. It's about being a professional on and off the ice. And on the ice, it's about allowing a player like him to play the position and minutes he needs (not 10 min a game).

And frankly some of the stories surrounding this kid, say he's not ready to be a professional off the ice. Sure call him up, give him the keys to the city and watch the MTL night life eat this kid alive.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
In NHL 14, Tinordi shoots up to an 81 overall in his second year and Bealieu stays at 77. Maybe Bergevin and Therrien are playing a lot Be a GM mode. :dunno:

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
I really can't see why we can't play both Beaulieu and Tinordi now that PO's are sure thing.

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Weaver

Can't be worse than Boo boo in the lineup :(

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

I certainly *understand* why the kid is mad. Hey, he's living a situation that a lot of other peoples also live, differently, in fields that are completely unrelated to hockey or professional sports.

But this is also my point: there's nothing special in what Brolieu lives. Every professionals, in every competitive work fields, learn during his or her junior years that sometimes, life isn't fair, sometimes it is frustrating, and others will be given opportunities you wish you had. It has happened to ALL OF US.

The young kid coming out of college and thinking he's a king pin because he got a degree will live - and learn - the exact same thing. And many will react the exact same way.

I understand Beaulieu, really. I've been there, too. I had the same reactions. If I had him in front of me, I would tell him the same thing I say to juniors in my own line of work: it's ok to wants more. It's ok to have lofty goals. It's fine, in fact, it's healthy, especially in a highly competitive environment. But it's NOT ok for your work quality to suffer because of this. It's NOT ok to "sulk in" because you didn't get your toy. Those behaviors are very unprofessional, and must be fixed, period. You're not happy with your situation? Deal with it. Work extra hard. He asked you to do 10 pushups? Do 20, just to make your point. Make such a good and spotless job, that your boss will never ever think about not giving you the responsibilities you relish. And if he doesn't, well, at least YOU'll have done everything in your power, and you'll have nothing more to prove, you'll have gain in confidence, and you'll have gain in maturity. That's how winners react to setbacks. Losers sulk in and say "it's not faaair".

In all walk of life. Not just in hockey.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Murray suspended, bulldogs season ending soon, Gorges still hurt, call him up already.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Current coaching stuff sucks at developing young players. Too much "tough love". It's the coaches job to create q structure for young playera o succeed. All MT does is say, "you're not playing like a vet, you will now be punished."

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not the first time this happens, it certainly won't be the last...I seem to recall Andrei Markov going through a similar thing when he first started out with the Habs.

I think more important than the Habs decision to recall Tinordi instead of Beaulieu, was to see how Beaulieu would react...

I've got no problem with the way they handled this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad