The David Jones and Shane O'Brien appreciation thread

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Even though they ended their Avalanche careers on a low-note (we'll, O'Brien on a high note in Vegas), I still feel like they deserve recognition. David Jones had some snipes, and O'Brien was money a few times on a 5-on-3 kill.

*stick tap*

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Thank you guys for getting us Tanguay back.

Huis Clos*

Good riddance. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I was hoping Jones would rebound, Shane, don't care. Good luck in my home town guys. Maybe I can party it up with Orr'Brien himself.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
tumblr_lg4rr7V3tw1qaifa5.gif

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Jones had a couple of good years, a few nice OT goals, but it's pretty amazing getting value out of him after the season he had (let alone getting his contract off the books).

member 116861

I appreciate David Jones but I have absolutely no appreciation for Shane O'Brien. I'm so happy that ****** is finally off this team.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
Let's all reminisce about the highlight of David Jones' career.

It ain't easy to flatten someone so gracefully.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
David Jones looked really good in 2009-2010 before blowing out his knee. After that, his speed suffered. He definitely had some good moments from 2011 to 2013, but overall I was not a fan. Red hot or ice cold, with no in-between.

Shane O'Brien was good/adequate in his first year with the Avs, and was mysteriously benched in year two. Not much to say.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Jones had the occasional snipe where you thought holy ****. This guy is sick. I remember when he first got into the NHL with his inside outside move, and he just burned defenders with it. Shame he got hurt that year.

O'Brien, I always wished he worked out. He seems like a guy everyone loves off the ice, and he could be entertaining. If he played with in his limitations he could probably stick somewhere. I thought it'd be here, but too many times he tried rushing when he was the last guy back.

Both guys seem like genuine nice guys, but it was time for them to go. I hope they both rebound in Calgary, especially since they're no longer in the same division as the Avs.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
jones had a really nice snipe against the blues in ot this past year, aside from that this year was a total bust.

i had a little mancrush on this guy a few years ago, it's a shame things turned out this way. there was also a freak injury where he just kinda dropped near the bench and i was confused on what happened , " did he he a strut in the ice ?" gets hurt from invisible lines.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I liked Jones before his knee injury, but I don't think he has been the same since. Either way, best of luck to him in CGY. I'm just really glad to have Tangs back.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I'm really really really going to miss all the drunk jokes in the GDT.

Poor Zanon. Dude is going to take on even more scapegoating now.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I will always remember Orr'Brien losing the puck after trying to dangle in the offensive blue line then cross checking the guy in the face who was about to beat him in the latter part of last year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
One thing to remember about Jones was that he was one of the few non high pick Avs fwds that were drafted by the team and managed to contribute in the last few years.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Jones has a wicked shot that set him up for life. I hope he succeeds in Calgary.

O'Brien is by all accounts a guy that's easy going and keeps the mood light. I thought he played well last year but Sacco obviously hated him at that stage. I think it's good for Avs to not have him around our young guys. Time to get serious.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Jones was one of my favourite Avs when he first got into the league. He was big, fast and loved to drive the net. Unfortunately, as he got more established he seemed to lose that drive. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with injuries that made him a bit apprehensive, but every now and again we would see a glimpse of that Jones. Hopefully he finds his game again in Calgary, he seemed like a likeable guy, and he worked hard to get into the league.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I feel like they both should be in this thread thanking the fans for those fat ass contracts that neither of them are worth. :rant:

Cheers to less rift raft on the team, see you soon Hunwick & Zannon. :nod:

I appreciate David Jones and Shane O'Brien for bringing Tanguay back to the Avs.

Oh and this, honorable mention to Jay Feaster as well.

(I think there are a few people on this board who would have probably contributed more to the team than D. Jones did last year. Scouts? Uh... Guys who can stack pucks?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I was one of the biggest Jones haters. He was AWFUL last season, no excuses. I think O'Brien was OK when he played, I don't really understand why he was benched(playing wise). He's better than Zanon. Anyway, GL Jones and O'Brien!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad