The David Conte & Lou Draft complaint thread

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Complain about conte here, let's actually talk about our new prospects in the other threads. I do agree with whoever said conte is sabotaging our organization BTW.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It feels like that over the last few years that a Devils have had a "Static Strategy" going into these drafts...

First round - go for a tough two-way forward with 2nd line upside
Second round - go for a safe but mature defensemen that has national experience
3rd-7th round - Pick 1 or 2 goons, 1 inconsistent forward, 1 unknown player with upside

The Beaver

Jan 2, 2013
Worcester, MA
The franchise needs a breath of fresh air in the scouting department. I didn't hate the draft (didn't like it either) but it was way too predictable with really no risks being made and safe picks being made like always.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Someone here already said it; it feels like he's making "clever" picks than BPA picks. I really wonder who they would've selected if they didn't trade their pick last year.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Assets: Has terrific hands, creativity, shiftiness, skating ability and the potential for great plays every time he's on the ice. Owns the size all NHL teams crave from the center position. Is responsible in his own end.
Flaws: Is not a physical player, despite his massive frame. Must continue to work on his offensive consistency, something he's counted on for. Could stand to become a little more assertive on offense.
Career Potential: Mega talented scoring center with upside.

Above is Kopitar writeup from the hockey news. Nothing about becoming a dominant defensive center.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've had quite a few European players that haven't worked out in the last 10 years. Tedenby, Josefson, then other guys who were later round picks. I wonder if that's why they aren't drafting Euros? Possibility.

I've thought Conte has sucked for about 10 years now, so you won't hear me defend the guy much. I thought he sucked before it was cool to think he sucks.

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Harris/Blitzer are not Vanderbeek, they will make moves if it helps the team. I think Lou's retirement will be in the next 2-3 years and we will see a clearing house of Conte and all of Lou's guys.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Someone here already said it; it feels like he's making "clever" picks than BPA picks. I really wonder who they would've selected if they didn't trade their pick last year.

I'm almost positive one of Conte's strategies is to take project picks in a draft he deems weak. He has always had a tendency to pick players with either one strong attribute or a plurality of good ones in a weak draft.

I think this what we saw in 2014...I think the idea was to find overlooked attributes in a draft that seemed to be very vanilla.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Clever? Hardly I'd say the opposite, they've been utterly predictable, or like someone else said basically static. This would have been a good draft in the late '90's but not so much now.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thank you for starting this thread.

I'll post later when a collect my thoughts (and the soccer game is over).

GhostofKenKlee

sick of the safe two way player crap

get some freakin speed and scoring

I agree. But the team has a certain DNA, how much speed and scoring did they really bypass today?

Moar Tendenby and less Matteau.

What is Boucher?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree. But the team has a certain DNA

That is the thing though, a Lemieux and a McInnis fit our DNA AND address needs...McInnis is essentially the same as the Quennville pick but you get him in the 2nd round while adding a scoring forward with your 1st pick.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
That is the thing though, a Lemieux and a McInnis fit our DNA AND address needs...McInnis is essentially the same as the Quennville pick but you get him in the 2nd round while adding a scoring forward with your 1st pick.

Jim, Whats your thoughts on Barbashev out of curiosity

GhostofKenKlee

For the record, I wanted Lemieux. These kids get interviewed. Why did St. Louis pass on Al's son? How about Colorado and Montreal?

Now, the TSN panel made it seem like the Devils have had their eyes on Jacobs from the US development team when Santini and Matteau were there.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
People keep talking about how it was still a fine pick for a two way center/winger, but Barbashev is a two center/winger as well, but I even more skilled, he is going to be great for the Blues, they just got a second Tarasenko in the second round

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad