The Data-Based Drafting Thread (what players would a Potato pick?)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What does Potato think of Lekk

Had him 10th overall, but had Kemell higher, so that will be interesting to watch.

I haven't yet entered all the actual picks that were made, which I need to do in order to determine who is available at each spot. I don't have a script for this and just do it manually every year. I should probably write a script.

This one is going to be WAY divergent compared to previous years. This was a crazy draft.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well after reading much of your posts I wonder if this algorithm can be used to "project" veterans and their value or expected decline.

While all the world can see that most older player lose regular season effectiveness some few do become very valuable. To mind Spezza and Perry seemed to be able to turn the "way back machine Mr. Peebody" and out play sometimes even their younger years or come very close to recapturing them.

This Canuck team as constructed looks unable to me, IMHO, get better without changing a lot of the veterans.
I was thrilled to hear JR mention this as well, his and my opinion seemed similar.

The cap and age play such a big role in the "new" NHL too much of either spells a disaster coming.

I maybe got a little off topic here

Reactions: mossey3535

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Well after reading much of your posts I wonder if this algorithm can be used to "project" veterans and their value or expected decline.

While all the world can see that most older player lose regular season effectiveness some few do become very valuable. To mind Spezza and Perry seemed to be able to turn the "way back machine Mr. Peebody" and out play sometimes even their younger years or come very close to recapturing them.

This Canuck team as constructed looks unable to me, IMHO, get better without changing a lot of the veterans.
I was thrilled to hear JR mention this as well, his and my opinion seemed similar.

The cap and age play such a big role in the "new" NHL too much of either spells a disaster coming.

I maybe got a little off topic here

I think this is sort of a holy grail. Figuring out what sort of "markers" will help you determine which players will age well and which ones will fall off a cliff at 30 would make one millions of dollars. And even then, players who seemingly fall off a cliff at 30 randomly bounce back sometimes when you least expect it (see: Jeff Skinner)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Had him 10th overall, but had Kemell higher, so that will be interesting to watch.

I haven't yet entered all the actual picks that were made, which I need to do in order to determine who is available at each spot. I don't have a script for this and just do it manually every year. I should probably write a script.

This one is going to be WAY divergent compared to previous years. This was a crazy draft.
Way higher or like one or two spots higher?

Reactions: mossey3535

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

I'm extremely interested in the Lekkerimaki/Kemell story going forward. I thought both were huge gets for different reasons and I really don't know if I would have been able to choose between them myself (although one or the other would have been my selection at 15). I don't think you can have buyers remorse about either pick, so it'll just be neat to see how they develop.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm extremely interested in the Lekkerimaki/Kemell story going forward. I thought both were huge gets for different reasons and I really don't know if I would have been able to choose between them myself (although one or the other would have been my selection at 15). I don't think you can have buyers remorse about either pick, so it'll just be neat to see how they develop.
Development is something that can't be under estimated. Nashville does a great job with the D prospects. Forsberg is their main forward that developed with them. They had Fiala up to age 23 before being flipped for Granlund. Legwand, Hartnell, Wilson, Tolvanen, it's not a long list of skilled forwards that have come up with the Preds.

If we were following 2 Dmen that they drafted, I'd put money on Nashville pick being better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Same. It's an interesting comparison for sure. Lekkerimaki is sometimes listed as 5'10" sometimes 5'11". If he's more 5'11", he's definitely an inch taller than Kemell. Size isn't everything that it's definitely harder for an under 5'10" guy than a guy who is just under 5'11".

I think I would have picked Lekkerimaki myself. I think in terms of second half performance Lekkerimaki seems improved which is what you want to see in a draft eligible 17 year old. If Lekkerimaki can build off of that and have a good year next year in the SHL that keeps him in line with a lot of good Swedish players that came before him.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Same. It's an interesting comparison for sure. Lekkerimaki is sometimes listed as 5'10" sometimes 5'11". If he's more 5'11", he's definitely an inch taller than Kemell. Size isn't everything that it's definitely harder for an under 5'10" guy than a guy who is just under 5'11".

I think I would have picked Lekkerimaki myself. I think in terms of second half performance Lekkerimaki seems improved which is what you want to see in a draft eligible 17 year old. If Lekkerimaki can build off of that and have a good year next year in the SHL that keeps him in line with a lot of good Swedish players that came before him.
the reports of Kemell taking absurd amount of poor quality chance shots gives me bad vibes of Jake Virtanen IQ.

Reactions: Red

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Where did you get that official height from? Was he at the draft combine?

It was brought up during the draft coverage that he measured 5’10-1/2. Not sure where that number came from, though. Others were tested at the combine and those are publicly available. It’s an incomplete list, however. That’s also where Kemell was revealed to be only 5’9-1/2 and that hurt his stock since it was thought he was taller.

Reactions: VIPettersson

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
It was brought up during the draft coverage that he measured 5’10-1/2. Not sure where that number came from, though. Others were tested at the combine and those are publicly available. It’s an incomplete list, however. That’s also where Kemell was revealed to be only 5’9-1/2 and that hurt his stock since it was thought he was taller.

Thanks. I had seen the numbers on Kemell, but hadn't seen anything on "Lekki" so I assumed he wasn't there. Much appreciated

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Kind of like Bo Horvat who is 6'-1/2". Do you know why Lekkerimaki wasn't at the combine?

I do, actually! He was at the combine but was recovering from mono and recently played in the U-18s

This is from NHL.com’s Mike Morreale:

“NHL Combine: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki will not be testing on Friday/Saturday. The Sweden-born forward was sidelined 4 weeks with mono in March, then played at U-18s. Said he's still not 100%. He was interviewed by 25 teams this week.”

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Didn’t the potato rank Kemell really high this year? Remember reading that somewhere but could be totally wrong here

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Didn’t the potato rank Kemell really high this year? Remember reading that somewhere but could be totally wrong here

At the top of this page is where you read it.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I do, actually! He was at the combine but was recovering from mono and recently played in the U-18s

This is from NHL.com’s Mike Morreale:

“NHL Combine: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki will not be testing on Friday/Saturday. The Sweden-born forward was sidelined 4 weeks with mono in March, then played at U-18s. Said he's still not 100%. He was interviewed by 25 teams this week.”

But he didn't even get measured. He could have taken part in the measurements?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad