Proposal: The Dan Byslma Thread Like/Hate/Unsure

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'd like to see where this goes, to see the roster and what he can do early next season, but if he can't deliver on his puck possession promises with this group, he probably isn't that good. We should see some pretty good scoring at even strength with this crop.

I'm not married to this opinion, but I wonder if a large piece of how this team plays is because he's sheltering/developing guys that are either rookies, or are young and underperformed in the past. If we look at the young, individual accomplishments of most of the young guys, they have all progressed. The problems on this roster are some of the vets not producing or sitting out injured.

I hear him describe the team philosophy and approach as 'grinding out' wins. They need to be able to play like that, but this team should be much more dynamic than they currently on.

Essentially, I'm torn whether this is just a stop along the road to progression, or a termination of Bylsma's ability and skill.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
We've all been frustrated with his usage and combos at times but I tend to think it's part of a bigger picture to see where (and with whom) guys can be successful. Has there been any big surprises to me? Not particularly but at least there's a strong notion of strengths and weaknesses in different situations.

E: I didn't have an option for which to vote.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I echo the comments about there being some master plan to all of this. It's my hope. That this season is basically a wash and a very long preseason for next year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is such a farce that I love him. I've complained about plenty of things he's done (e.g., Gio's playing time early, Sam's lack of playing time early, Gorges-Risto, just to name a few).

Additionally, the counter-argument to yours is that prior to ROR's injury, 80 pts was looking eminently reasonable - they were 9-6-3 in their previous 19 games, and had pts in 8 of the previous 10. You know who would've considered 80 pts a success prior to the season? Just about every single poster in here; indeed, many would've considered that to be overachieving.

These options are a joke. There's not a choice. The poll is effectively, "Let's all agree he sucks, but what should we do with him."

I guess it is a farce that you love him because I never implied that. I was just wondering why you wanted any positive categories when the team is doing so poorly. Maybe there's a good reason - I'm not a person who claims he's a good judge of coaches.

But the fact that the team is doing so poorly and has among the worst 5-on-5 stats, coupled with the fact that several players are having their worst seasons, is one indicator of how he's doing. Arguably a strong one. I think the goal for success for most people this season was 82 points, and we're not anywhere near that.

On the other hand, a coach also plays the role of teacher, and he might be great at that. I have no idea how to judge that as a fan. ROR is also having a career year, which reflects well, although his favorable usage is probably the main reason for that.

But you can't pick and choose winning streaks and extrapolate them to say we would be doing better is xyz happened. I'm open to hearing why he might be a good coach, but I don't buy that logic. It could've just been a good stretch.

Personally, I'm withholding judgement. I liked Lindy Ruff, so what do I know :laugh:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
I don't like his constant line-juggling and mind-baffling line decisions. But all things considered...Rhino has improved this year. Risto has improved this year. Eichel has made a great transition from college straight to the NHL. Larsson is coming into his own. I don't know what goes on in the locker room, but I think it would be ignorant to say that Bylsma had nothing to do with any of the above happening. He appears to be having a positive impact on the kids, and that's perfectly fine with me.

It could be worse, you guys. Be thankful the Sabres don't have Therrien as their coach...or Torts.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't really know. I read a lot of stuff here and it makes Bylsma sound like an idiot.

I still remember him saying after the draft that Eichel and Kane may not be a match. Then all camp he had Eichel with Girgensons. Then the season starts and Kane and Eichel are stuck together.

So he doesn't really look like he has a plan.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
It could be worse, you guys. Be thankful the Sabres don't have Therrien as their coach...or Torts.

I definitely am thankful right now, but then again, both of those coaches have had many successes in their careers. So I don't know, maybe you just need a competent coach, and most of the results are based on the players. Coach evaluation certainly isn't a science. And even if it was, fans are not privy to most of the things a coach is doing. You have to have a GM you can trust, and hope he makes the best decision for who is the best coach at any given time.

I would so love to hear TMs thoughts on Dan's usage.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
His coaching has nothing to do with all the scoring chances we've failed to cash in on.

Give him another 2 years and I think you'll be laughing at this thread.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
His coaching has nothing to do with all the scoring chances we've failed to cash in on.

Give him another 2 years and I think you'll be laughing at this thread.

I think you could have created this thread and replaced "Dan Blysma" with "[INSERT OTHER COACH HERE]" and it would be the same cast of characters saying the same thing. It's natural for people with highly unreasonable expectations to blame the head coach for not meeting those expectations. It's wrong, but natural.

We topped our point total from the last two years with over twenty games to go but oh well.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I think you could have created this thread and replaced "Dan Blysma" with "[INSERT OTHER COACH HERE]" and it would be the same cast of characters saying the same thing. It's natural for people with highly unreasonable expectations to blame the head coach for not meeting those expectations. It's wrong, but natural.

We topped our point total from the last two years with over twenty games to go but oh well.
Yeah, let's ignore the plethora of successful player combinations with under 200 minutes because this squad has a minimum of three players better than anyone on those teams.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
None of the poll options fit my opinion. The plan obviously wasn't about winning this season, so how can Bylsma be blamed after being saddled with an incomplete, ill fitting roster? If Murray ever decides to build a winning team, then we can look at coaching.

Murray is in year 3 and already on his second hand picked coach, time to start looking at General Timbury instead of Bylsma the soldier.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
As in all threads that ***** and moan about the coaching and throw out the idea of replacing him...

Who out there is better?
Who is available that you would consider replacing DB with?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
As in all threads that ***** and moan about the coaching and throw out the idea of replacing him...

Who out there is better?
Who is available that you would consider replacing DB with?
There are many good coaches out there. Go through an Interview process instead of just hiring a big name.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I hated giving up a 3rd for Bylsma, but since he's here now, whatever. He's been about what I expected. Stubborn and irritating at times with his player usage, says his share of intelligent bits along with brain numbing things.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Gallants 1 out of 5 playoff appearances is really stellar. Maybe when Bylsma gets his 4th or 5th top 5 pick on the roster then he too can take a team to the playoffs :sarcasm: the panthers are out in the first round guaranteed. Bylsma gets hated around here for things he can't control. *****ing about usage is funny when the roster he was provided is complete **** with no depth

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I went in to this season not expecting miracles. I'll give DD the benefit of the doubt this year and most likely next year.

I'll chalk this year up to simply learning the +/-'s of everyone on the roster - and I'm sure the player's are still trying to figure **** out for themselves as well.

1st year learning curve I would guess...

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Far too early to tell. It's clear that he still has the same shortcomings now that he had in Pittsburgh, but I don't think he's the worst coach we could have.

Years two and three will be more telling. If Murray solidifies the backend by adding a pair of LHD puckmovers this summer, my expectations for this team will be higher and I can reassess after next season.

Gallants 1 out of 5 playoff appearances is really stellar. Maybe when Bylsma gets his 4th or 5th top 5 pick on the roster then he too can take a team to the playoffs :sarcasm: the panthers are out in the first round guaranteed. Bylsma gets hated around here for things he can't control. *****ing about usage is funny when the roster he was provided is complete **** with no depth

For ****'s sake. :facepalm: Base on what?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I REALLY don't like Bylsma, and never have. I think firing him soon is the best option, because if it takes another 1-3 years to prove he needs to be gone, there will be a coaching transition right in the middle of when this team's youngest and best talents should be developing to their potential. It will delay the progression. I truly don't believe Bylsma can win a Cup, but I fully understand that the organization just blew a wad of cash on this guy and they won't do an about-face on him unless he falls flat on his.

I think Bylsma has been trying many different options so far this season, but that experimenting only delays development, and further (I might catch flak for this) - I think it subtly allows an excuse for the team to underperform. How can the players think winning is the most important thing if Bylsma keeps throwing things at the wall, and doing it again whether anything sticks or not? Even a few things he's stayed with took him half the season to stick with. In-game moves are pretty questionable, and what gives me the most lack of confidence is thinking that when he finally does have a decent roster, he'll just get out-coached in a playoff series anyway.

I know, it's done and all we can do is hope so that's what I'll do.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
There are many good coaches out there. Go through an Interview process instead of just hiring a big name.

Name me 3 that are available and upgrades?
Also, did TM not go through an interview process, if not please tell me how you know that to be the case.

I wanted Blashill last year, other than that...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

"We're going to make the Sabres great again. We are going to win"

Kane, Bogo, Eichel, Reinhart.... Bylsma has 4 top 5 picks on the roster.... :facepalm:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
"We're going to make the Sabres great again. We are going to win"

Kane, Bogo, Eichel, Reinhart.... Bylsma has 4 top 5 picks on the roster.... :facepalm:

...not to mention Risto, if he was drafted in most other years. If 2013 wasn't so stacked at the top, he would've been top 5. Hell, if you re-drafted 2013 right now, he might even be top 3. But I guess that's beside the point.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Eichel/Girgensons - 66% GF, 181 minutes played.
Kane/Larsson - 75% GF, 124 minutes played.
Bogosian/Ristolainen - 54.5% GF, 55% CF, 117 minutes played.
Gorges/Pysyk - 100% GF, 58% CF, 41 minutes played on 40.9% offensive zone starts.

I gave him 45+ games and nearly 3000 total minutes. He's a bad coach.

****not only do these combinations drive tons of success in small sample sizes, they make obvious sense from a needs/play-style perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad