The Curious Case of Mitch Marner discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner is not going anywhere. Pretty sure if he struggles in the playoffs again, there will be excuses like- if only so and so scored from his passes….

Personally, Marner just needs to play better and stop blaming others for his playoff struggles. Nobody told him to deke around the goalie all the time when the net is wide open. Nobody told him to flip the puck over the glass in the PK. Nobody told him to keep passing instead of shooting.

Some might enjoy him being an elite player in the regular season but I actually enjoy players playing elite Hockey in the Playoffs.
Lastly, he is not a top 5 players in the league, heck I don’t even think he is a top 10 players in the Division, as he is in a division with Kuch, Hedman, Vas, Point, Stamkos, Barkov, Berg, Pasta, Marchand, and AM. Let’s not discuss that since some here think Marner is the chosen one and think he is the greatest Leafs ever.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner is not going anywhere. Pretty sure if he struggles in the playoffs again, there will be excuses like- if only so and so scored from his passes….

Personally, Marner just needs to play better and stop blaming others for his playoff struggles. Nobody told him to deke around the goalie all the time when the net is wide open. Nobody told him to flip the puck over the glass in the PK. Nobody told him to keep passing instead of shooting.

Some might enjoy him being an elite player in the regular season but I actually enjoy players playing elite Hockey in the Playoffs.
Lastly, he is not a top 5 players in the league, heck I don’t even think he is a top 10 players in the Division, as he is in a division with Kuch, Hedman, Vas, Point, Stamkos, Barkov, Berg, Pasta, Marchand, and AM. Let’s not discuss that since some here think Marner is the chosen one and think he is the greatest Leafs ever.
He's blamed others?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Is Marner even on the team. I didn’t see him in the playoffs. :) Anyways I’m just waiting for him to bear down mentally. Can’t be a choker like that and figure he will get a pass continuously. He blew it two playoffs in a row. That was ugly

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He's blamed others?
Didn’t he said something like we need to covert our chances better or something.
Point is, he didn’t come out and say he needs to work on his game and be better. I know these pressers are all PR but it would be nice if the players can come out and be more accountable

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Didn’t he said something like we need to covert our chances better or something.
Point is, he didn’t come out and say he needs to work on his game and be better. I know these pressers are all PR but it would be nice if the players can come out and be more accountable
Not sure, I don't listen to interviews. I use to but find them pretty much meaningless and for the most part people hear what they want to hear. Some were ready to bury him no matter what he said.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
and adding super elite talent like him from outside the org is extremely tough.
This argument can only go so far.

The question is... how many 11 million dollar forwards should a team have under an 81 mil cap? Your argument seems to be "infinity" as a team should NEVER trade elite forwards for cap space and middling players.

If three 11 million dollar forwards isn't too many, then what is? At what point is there not enough cap space for the necessary depth to succeed in the playoffs?

If there were 4 11 million dollar forwards, should we now trade an elite forward for cap space and a middling return? 5? 6?

Know what that number is for pretty much every other team? ONE!!!! Most here believe 2 would still be sustainable (a 1-2 C punch). But many here now think three isn't sustainable. We can't build enough depth around them.

To simplify all of that into "don't trade young elite players for cap space and depth" is insane.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yeah, he pretty much did.

He said he wouldn't change his game and he created chances, but the puck didn't end in the back of the net. In other words, he did his job as the playmaker and wouldn't change anything about his game but the scorers couldn't finish.
Yup he said that and to all of us that listened to it he sounded so petulant and put out that people would even question his part in the failure it wasn’t funny.
That single presser showed how unlikable he is. For many fans I’m not sure how he every comes back from it.
If he even falters at all this year he will feel the heat like he can’t imagine

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Only Leafs fans would hate their own superstar like this

Get a grip

He’s had trouble in the playoffs. He’s not the first player and he won’t be the last. Doesn’t change the fact that he’s a star and any trade we make with him is likely to be a trade that we lose.

I don't hate any of our players but when you get paid so much money and fail for several years in a row, expect to take some heat.

People keep saying how we'd lose any trade involving Marner but this has zero basis in fact. And even if we do lose the trade, I'm good with that if it leads to us having playoff success. You should research how the Thornton trade worked out for SJ and Boston as the team that "lost" the trade won a cup down the road and the team that "won" the trade never did.

Reactions: glue

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yup he said that and to all of us that listened to it he sounded so petulant and put out that people would even question his part in the failure it wasn’t funny.
That single presser showed how unlikable he is. For many fans I’m not sure how he every comes back from it.
If he even falters at all this year he will feel the heat like he can’t imagine
Dubas will certainly feel the heat if the team fails this year. Because that would likely be the end of his gm career.

But worst case scenario for Marner is he's traded to a smaller market out of the limelight where he can spend his dozens of millions worry free. If he cared about winning, he might hate the destination he's traded to. But I don't think he cares about winning in the slightest.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Dubas will certainly feel the heat if the team fails this year. Because that would likely be the end of his gm career.

But worst case scenario for Marner is he's traded to a smaller market out of the limelight where he can spend his dozens of millions worry free. If he cared about winning, he might hate the destination he's traded to. But I don't think he cares about winning in the slightest.
Agreed and the other guy that is going to feel heat as well should be Shanny

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Here's hoping Mitch comes back pissed off
Pretty sure someone here will use the, he is planning a wedding, don’t you know how hard it is to plan a wedding……to justify he choke in playoffs again.

With fans in the building, I hope Marner comes out firing right off the bat bc the boos are just waiting for him. If he had a start like he did after he signed a contract, it might be wise if he just take some time off and sort himself out instead of playing

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If normal people can be at work 8 hr + commute time and still put in a workout, im sure they can work out and then have the rest of the day for engagements and such

you also need down time. A lot of NHL players don’t even touch the ice until August. This is common among all athletes. You need time away just as much as you need time on the ice. & idk why people insist on comparing the average person to an NHL players life, it’s not the same thing. Not even close and an athletes life is not comparable to a normal persons life. Both types of people make sacrifices and schedules that are conducive to their individual lives. So your point is moot. Good for you if you work 8hours a day. It’s not comparable to an athlete, completely different life styles. LOL only people who have actually been an athlete in life will understand really

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
you also need down time. A lot of NHL players don’t even touch the ice until August. This is common among all athletes. You need time away just as much as you need time on the ice. & idk why people insist on comparing the average person to an NHL players life, it’s not the same thing. Not even close and an athletes life is not comparable to a normal persons life. Both types of people make sacrifices and schedules that are conducive to their individual lives. So your point is moot. Good for you if you work 8hours a day. It’s not comparable to an athlete, completely different life styles. LOL only people who have actually been an athlete in life will understand really

100% any job, you need to take breaks from it, or theres a burnout. I just had an extended long weekend and only on Monday morning i started feeling some sort of a relief, tat followed by anxiety of looming work week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce