The Curious Case of Colton Orr

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON
Why has Colton Orr stopped fighting? We could have used a scrap in the Blackhawks game to at least attempt to swing momentum in our favor. Other than the Parros fight I can't remember him fighting this year.

I can only think of two reasons, Injury or Carlyle has told him not to fight.

Leafs all together are softer this year. No BS attitude seems to have disappeared. Hopefully Clarkson's physical game can spark them.

LyGuy

Aug 21, 2013
I think it may either be a lingering injury (remember in preseason he was still injured) or the fight with Parros affected his mental game.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Its like teams have taken a page out of Detroit's book (preseason game). Dont give a fight to Leafs and they'll come out flat.

MrLegend28*

you guys dont actually think players games elevate from a fight do you? ... People think its a "spark". its not. players dont suddenly gain energy watching 2 other dudes fight for 30 seconds.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
My guess is he's nursing an injury
We're missing a lot of toughness right now in Fraser, McLaren, Kulemin and Clarkson

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
you guys dont actually think players games elevate from a fight do you? ... People think its a "spark". its not. players dont suddenly gain energy watching 2 other dudes fight for 30 seconds.

All depends on the situation. Staged fight? Not so much, and that's what Colton's known for. I've seen plenty of NHL benches go crazy after a good scrap though.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010

Honest question, have you played hockey before? I have a hard time understanding how someone who has played could make this comment.

BauerHOCKEY

Jun 21, 2011
Whitby, ON

This isn't NHL 14, Leafs won't gain 'Energy', these are elite athletes.

I'm saying it motivates the team to see Colton Orr go out there and get his face punched in solely for the team. They instantly look in the mirror and say "What am I doing for my team?"

People who say fighting doesn't spark a bench clearly has never been on a bench during a fight. Sometimes it sparks the bench more than a goal does.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I think Carlyle has told him to take it easy until some of our injured players are back. Can't afford any more injuries than we have now.

Can you imagine how soft we'd be if Orr was out too?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
This isn't NHL 14, Leafs won't gain 'Energy', these are elite athletes.

I'm saying it motivates the team to see Colton Orr go out there and get his face punched in solely for the team. They instantly look in the mirror and say "What am I doing for my team?"

People who say fighting doesn't spark a bench clearly has never been on a bench during a fight. Sometimes it sparks the bench more than a goal does.
Did you not hear Kadri's comments on HNIC last year with McLaren and Orr? It most definitely impacts the team when you have guys going out there and running over guys. Everyone walks with a swagger, you have more confidence... the Leafs haven't had that this year.

Feb 24, 2004
You've never played Hockey if that's how you feel.

Thanks HockeyGoon. I'm sure you're not biased at all.

Let me ask you:

1) Why would players automatically start playing better after a fight? Are you suggesting that they would just try harder?

2) If #1 is true, why would Team A benefit more than Team B?

Feb 24, 2004
Did you not hear Kadri's comments on HNIC last year with McLaren and Orr? It most definitely impacts the team when you have guys going out there and running over guys. Everyone walks with a swagger, you have more confidence... the Leafs haven't had that this year.

Players also think that momentum exists....

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Clarkson's agitation game is desperately needed. Right now we're playing everyone else's game and not our own.

Once the agitation is back in our lineup, I think that will lead to other teams trying to get even with us, leading to some fights for Colton and Frazer.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Thanks HockeyGoon. I'm sure you're not biased at all.

Let me ask you:

1) Why would players automatically start playing better after a fight? Are you suggesting that they would just try harder?

2) If #1 is true, why would Team A benefit more than Team B?

Because our players' fighting skill stats are way higher than those other teams. Our momentum bar basically goes to full after every fight. :sarcasm:

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

And you're basing this on your years of NHL playing experience are you? Plenty of players have contradicted you by commenting in the media about their attitudes after a fight.

Asif16*

Have you thought about maybe other players not wanting to fight??

I actually saw orr challenge bollig last game on the faceoff, but nothing happened.

I also saw orr challenge nystrom and clune agaisnt the predators, but nothing happened.

Its the "emotion" factor. Montreal so far, was our most emotional game. Rivarly, opening night..etc

Every other game is been dull and has been missing the nastiness emotion. No one has intiated anything. If clarkson comes back, i feel like that might change. If it gets heated, you can see orr getting invloved

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
They were actually talking about this on Macko and Cauz earlier. Could be a psychological thing after what happened to Parros. In that case Carlyle has to talk to him about it.

Feb 24, 2004
And you're basing this on your years of NHL playing experience are you? Plenty of players have contradicted you by commenting in the media about their attitudes after a fight.

I rely on players opinions for skill-related areas. How do I get better at skating? What's the best way to break down a neutral zone trap? How do I improve my backhand?

I take player opinions (in any sport) in regards to evaluating past performance and results with an extreme grain of salt.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Could be a variety of reasons tbh..

- the type of games we've been playing. None of them have really been physical or emotional at all except the first one vs the Habs. Even the game vs Ottawa was dead and the majority were vs Western teams who we really have no history with

- a timing thing. In the majority of games the Leafs have been trailing so Orr doesn't see the ice much, especially when he's playing with rookies for most games who Carlyle only gives 4-5 minutes to

- other teams. Teams like the Preds, Wild and Oilers dont have anyone who would fight Orr, and other fighters might not want to fight him when their team is winning (see trailing in majority of games comment above)

- could be that injury from preseason nagging him

One thing I think led to most of our fights last season is that we played a very physical style and because of that teams felt like they needed to fight to stand up for their team. This year we've been playing end to end with our injuries and not playing as physical so they probably don't feel the need to do so.

Clarkson will play Friday, Mclaren will be back Friday or Saturday and Fraser and Kulemin will be back next Tuesday so we'll be back to our gritty style by then

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
If nothing else; A Colton Orr scrap gets the crowd energized. Players feed off of the electricity of the building, if not the tilt itself.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
If nothing else; A Colton Orr scrap gets the crowd energized. Players feed off of the electricity of the building, if not the tilt itself.

How do we determine whether or not a player has "fed" off the electricity? Does he play harder then he did a few minutes ago? Does he make smarter plays with the puck?? I've played hockey and have been both on the ice and on the bench when a fight has occurred. I've never played any better or worse after watching one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad