The Curious Case of Cody Hodgson

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
His weaknesses and strengths have never really changed, everyone just hoped he would get quicker and have his offensive iq translate to defense. He is older never got faster and never got smarter in his end so he didn't pan out like many prospects. At this point his future is that of a secondary winger on a top team.

Wrong. Dead flipping wrong. Go back. Go ahead. Go back to the games he played in March and April in 2012. I'm surprised you (and others) have already forgotten how poor he was at speed, acceleration, and poor skating strides. He wasn't a good skater. He wasn't strong on his skates. He was slow. He has definitely shown improvement in all those areas. No... Again NO, he's not fast. But he's certainly not slow either. He most likely won't get much faster either. His speed is rather average. So be it :dunno:

Other than that, you're probably right.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Wrong. Dead flipping wrong. Go back. Go ahead. Go back to the games he played in March and April in 2012. I'm surprised you (and others) have already forgotten how poor he was at speed, acceleration, and poor skating strides. He wasn't a good skater. He wasn't strong on his skates. He was slow. He has definitely shown improvement in all those areas. No... Again NO, he's not fast. But he's certainly not slow either. He most likely won't get much faster either. His speed is rather average. So be it :dunno:

Yes he is. I don't see this improvement you are talking about. He's one of the worst skaters in the league. On this team, which is a bad skating team, he's arguably the worst skater we have next to Strachan and maybe Foligno?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Very fair, candid assessment...

And rebuttal to Takeo's semi-troll.

@Jame - you were a strong advocate of Hodgson at time of trade, fostered in part by your rather deep exposure to a lot more NHL games & teams than some of us see / follow.

When did you sour on him / his abilities as likely asymptoted - e.g., the defensive positioning / awareness, limited ability to create offense off his own stick?

a few weeks into this season. and it really had nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with heart/work ethic/effort/etc.

i came into the season knowing this team would be horrible (it simply lacks the most important core ingredients), but I expected a Ted Nolan team (i know that's cliche. And I'm honestly not a Nolan fan), to exhibit a particular level of effort.

You can see how the culture change has happened. I haven't had to question the effort from the vast majority of this team. They lack talent, and possession drivers. But they show up. It looks ugly a lot of the time, but the effort is there.

Hodgson came out of the gate collecting a pay check. I could live with his warts while he was developing, the skills were evident. And if some of the weaknesses never got corrected, I could've lived with it. But to come out this year, in this situation, the way he did... just completely soured me for good.

for comparison... it's funny because I dislike almost everything about Ennis as a hockey player. but i've never had to question his heart/work. With players like Ennis the good is never going to outweigh the bad (imo). I've now reached that point with Hodgson as well.

I'll admit, Hodgson has actually looked better in the last week or so... from an effort standpoint.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes he is. I don't see this improvement you are talking about. He's one of the worst skaters in the league. On this team, which is a bad skating team, he's arguably the worst skater we have next to Strachan and maybe Foligno?

then you shouldn't comment on skating anymore...

if you put film of Hodgson 2012 against Hodgson 2014... you'll see a guy who has rebuilt his skating stride and is significantly better. Is he a good skater now? No... but he's average, and not nearly the tire fire he was a few years ago.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
then you shouldn't comment on skating anymore...

if you put film of Hodgson 2012 against Hodgson 2014... you'll see a guy who has rebuilt his skating stride and is significantly better. Is he a good skater now? No... but he's average, and not nearly the tire fire he was a few years ago.

Maybe 6 months ago, you were preaching that Hodgson was a very good skater because of how smart he was. I don't think you have room to tell people to stop commenting on skating. No, he's not average. He's poor in this category. I'm really in no mood to pile on the kid, but let's not make arguments that are patently false. It's a major source of his defensive woes. A lot of people argue that he doesn't have the mind for the defensive zone, but a lot of his struggles are due to his lack of athleticism.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Maybe 6 months ago, you were preaching that Hodgson was a very good skater because of how smart he was. I don't think you have room to tell people to stop commenting on skating. No, he's not average. He's poor in this category. I'm really in no mood to pile on the kid, but let's not make arguments that are patently false. It's a major source of his defensive woes. A lot of people argue that he doesn't have the mind for the defensive zone, but a lot of his struggles are due to his lack of athleticism.

yes, the comments i have made for years about skating have been relative to hockey IQ... something Tim Murray articulates as well.

As for Hodgson's IQ and it's impact on skating... it definitely translates offensively. He takes smart transitional lines, and creates lanes when he has the puck. It's too bad none of that has materialized defensively.

but this conversation is currently about the technical aspect of skating... in which Hodgson, due to stumpy legs, had been a horrible skater who had a very awkward stride. He's worked with Dawn, and changed his stride dramatically, and has improved significantly to the point that he's an average nhl skater.

continue being wrong

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
yes, the comments i have made for years about skating have been relative to hockey IQ... something Tim Murray articulates as well.

As for Hodgson's IQ and it's impact on skating... it definitely translates offensively. He takes smart transitional lines, and creates lanes when he has the puck. It's too bad none of that has materialized defensively.

but this conversation is currently about the technical aspect of skating... in which Hodgson, due to stumpy legs, had been a horrible skater who had a very awkward stride. He's worked with Dawn, and changed his stride dramatically, and has improved significantly to the point that he's an average nhl skater.

continue being wrong

Average, meaning middle of the pack. What forwards on our team, arguably the slowest team in the league, are worse skaters???

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Average, meaning middle of the pack. What forwards on our team, arguably the slowest team in the league, are worse skaters???

Since you are only talking about the physical skating itself....

He's in the same boat as average skaters... Foligno, Stewart, McCormick, Gionta, Moulson

He's not quite as good as above average skaters like Stafford and Flynn.

He's definitely not really good like Mitchell, Ennis, Girgensons

He's better than Deslauriers and Kaleta

I understand your view on Hodgson's skating. It's ingrained in a year of Hodgson vs Ennis nonsense. It was a documented weakness early in his career. You latched onto it as a talking point. And here we are a few years later and you can't even see the difference.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Foligno is the only one I might give you. They are pretty on par with each other. And they are both well below average for this league. Kaleta and Des are better skaters.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Foligno is the only one I might give you. They are pretty on par with each other. And they are both well below average for this league. Kaleta and Des are better skaters.

135b_small.gif

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Your correct he became a better skater. I should have been more specific. He did not improve enough to justify what people hoped he would get to, a top two center. He might have average speed league wide, which I'm not sure I would agree with. But at his size and position he is still a below average skater.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

His skating is not the major issue with his defense.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
(Necro bump - sorry)

Just did my Girgensons All-Star votes for today. Looking at the Sabres rankings, it's crazy that Cody Hodgson has less votes than Benoit, and other notables like Hackett, Strachan and Mezaros. What's happened to this guy?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
He is a manchild

Here in Vancouver on sports radio 1040 a few days ago there was a major discussion on cody hodgson role on the Canucks run to the finals a few years ago .

They called this punk up from junior to get some invaluable experience practicing and getting some 3rd and 4th line minutes as a way to speed up his development.npw it comes out that that was just not good enough , during the Canucks qf series against Nashville cody and his father demanded from Mike Gillis 1st line minutes or to trade him .

The idiocy of this is of epic proportions.

The first like had the sedins the nhl art Ross winners at that time and henrik was the hart trophy winner.

On the 2nd line the Canucks had their best player andsybe at that time the best player in the NHL. And this punk outta junior is whining that he's not the Canucks main guy.

He is to much.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

You are absolutely right.

Edit; oops tripped by the necro bump

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He is a manchild

Here in Vancouver on sports radio 1040 a few days ago there was a major discussion on cody hodgson role on the Canucks run to the finals a few years ago .

They called this punk up from junior to get some invaluable experience practicing and getting some 3rd and 4th line minutes as a way to speed up his development.npw it comes out that that was just not good enough , during the Canucks qf series against Nashville cody and his father demanded from Mike Gillis 1st line minutes or to trade him .

The idiocy of this is of epic proportions.

The first like had the sedins the nhl art Ross winners at that time and henrik was the hart trophy winner.

On the 2nd line the Canucks had their best player andsybe at that time the best player in the NHL. And this punk outta junior is whining that he's not the Canucks main guy.

He is to much.

Bunch of garbage.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Bunch of garbage.

agreed...though im not currently riding in the Hodgson fan train myself.

I do think its funny how everyone criticized his work ethic and conditioning when he went out of his way to join the Gary off-season training routine...to bad it hasnt translated btter though...

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Bunch of garbage.

Not sure if it is garbage or not, either way it was implied by the GM in 2012.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...want+here+says+Mike+Gillis/6512641/story.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cody-hodgson-sportsnet-magazine-feature/

Complainer, bad on defense, fed him offensive zone starts to build trade value, couldn't play the role they wanted and as a rookie wasn't ready for the top 6. If nothing else, Hodgson had an established reputation that Gillis went public with.

Even ignoring the soap opera drama, he is best suited for a role that does not exist on this Sabres team. He performed as a Sabre in previous seasons so he can be more productive than his recent play suggests, just needs a different situation to maximize him.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Perhaps he just needs a change of scenery.

Would you accept a trade with Anaheim, ...

Hodgson for W.Karlsson/Rakell (called wild Bill, which is a sweet fit) & Bourque.

Fair value?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad