The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Canucks best dman? cmon people, Christopher Tanev and Alexander Edler are leaps and bounds better.

Negative.

Today's bullet pass to Bae while forechecking showed to me that Hutton is operating on a completely different level than the rest of the Canuck d-men. Edler "might" have been able to do that but there would have been a lot of luck involved if he had.

Hutton looked completely comfortable controlling the puck down in the o-zone corners and If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was one of our wingers forechecking.

Hutton reminds me a lot of Drew Doughty.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
it would make sense that he reminds you of doughty.

He said in an interview that he models his game after doughty and watches a lot of doughty play.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
he still makes a lot of mistakes defensively for me to say he's better than edler.

third best fine, but he'd get roasted in edler's role right now imo..

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
he still makes a lot of mistakes defensively for me to say he's better than edler.

third best fine, but he'd get roasted in edler's role right now imo..

I'd agree with this.

Nothing wrong with being the third best defenseman 15 games into your NHL career.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd agree with this.

Nothing wrong with being the third best defenseman 15 games into your NHL career.

Yep. Would we all agree with this order of best to worst:

Tanev
Edler
Hutton
Hamuis
Sbisa
Biega
Barkowski
Weber

I did this yesterday but more thinking i think Tanman is are #1

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
What a huge development for the organization to have Hutton playing so well. I had previously wanted Hamhuis re-signed… but I'm starting to lean towards going out and getting the ideal RS guy to play with Hutton. Or maybe try Hutton on the RS with Hamhuis.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What a huge development for the organization to have Hutton playing so well. I had previously wanted Hamhuis re-signed… but I'm starting to lean towards going out and getting the ideal RS guy to play with Hutton. Or maybe try Hutton on the RS with Hamhuis.

I would agree with that, both parts. Canucks defense this year was unworkably bad before hitting took a spot. A top 4 RS is exactly what the team needs not a converted Sbisa or over-extended Weber. It would allow the team to cut the third pairing ice time to 10-14 min which would also help.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I would agree with that, both parts. Canucks defense this year was unworkably bad before hitting took a spot. A top 4 RS is exactly what the team needs not a converted Sbisa or over-extended Weber. It would allow the team to cut the third pairing ice time to 10-14 min which would also help.

Trade hamhuis and push for Zaitsev or Buff?

Maybe.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver

Why on Earth would we resign Hamhuis when he has declined every year since 2011, is 32 years old and will want a raise with a 4+ year term. Blasphemy, you trade him for a late first and you wipe your hands clean

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Why on Earth would we resign Hamhuis when he has declined every year since 2011, is 32 years old and will want a raise with a 4+ year term. Blasphemy, you trade him for a late first and you wipe your hands clean

Hamhuis is still a quality player and those aren't that easy to find. He also wants to be here and is a quality person, which is always nice. I wasn't thinking that he'd want a raise and 4 years… that would certainly change things. I'd like to see him get some run with Hutton on the RS before I decide.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
There always seems to be one "holy ****" highlight you can take from him every game and half a dozen little "why can't all of our D be like that" plays. And I do mean every game. The Doughty parable is more apt than any other I've seen; his puckhandling, skating, and sensibility. If Hutton were more physical and a better shooter, he'd be a mirror.

I don't think I'd be so blown away if he weren't so consistent. 2 points since I last gushed on him ITT, and that play to Baertschi v New Jersey was top-class.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Some context, VanJack: Tanev and Edler are a top 10 NHL defensive pairing. Tough competition, all-situations defenders. Hutton is playing great but he's nowhere near that yet. Their minutes are tough.

We got a good one. Maybe one day Hutton has more upside. But that will take time.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
i would argue with Hamhuis eroding, Hutton maybe the better bet. Certainly better than Bartkowski, Sbisa, Weber.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
There always seems to be one "holy ****" highlight you can take from him every game and half a dozen little "why can't all of our D be like that" plays. And I do mean every game. The Doughty parable is more apt than any other I've seen; his puckhandling, skating, and sensibility. If Hutton were more physical and a better shooter, he'd be a mirror.

I don't think I'd be so blown away if he weren't so consistent. 2 points since I last gushed on him ITT, and that play to Baertschi v New Jersey was top-class.

Yup. I always liked this pick up but saw him more of a Bieksa type pick where he would spend his 4 years at uni then a year or so in the AHL then hit the NHL as a 24-25 year old and be a solid player.

Hes really just be a spectacular surprise.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
His shot is a muffin and needs to improve for him to turn into a real offensive weapon.

That's the one aspect of his game that needs real work. I suspect that he will always be inconsistent defensively. His game is geared towards offense. But he needs a better shot to play his game more effectively.

Very encouraging start though. Good on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad