GDT: The Cory: Devils @ Rangers, 1 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There is no doubt the injury hurt his game a lot, but I don't think the gear size meant much. Frankly he's always seemed to have trouble when games really mean something and tends to play well when the pressure is off. The last two seasons he has just been bad and I think that's mostly due to injury.
I don't think the equipment is really a problem with him either.

I don't agree with you that he's always had trouble. He used to be good, but fell off a cliff even more than Marty did in his late 30's, when he was only 30.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't agree with you that he's always had trouble. He used to be good, but fell off a cliff even more than Marty did in his late 30's, when he was only 30.
We can literally cherry pick small hot streaks from any player though.

Marty had a .920% for about 65 games between February of 2012 and February of 2013, despite already being in decline before that.

If he's good next year, I think it's fair to say ''Okay, he's back. He's been good since February of last year'', but I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt right now. He's not as bad as he looked to start the season, but I don't think he's as good as he's been since coming back from the AHL either. The median of that is a below average goalie.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
We can literally cherry pick small hot streaks from any player though.

Marty had a .920% for about 65 games between February of 2012 and February of 2013, despite already being in decline before that.

If he's good next year, I think it's fair to say ''Okay, he's back. He's been good since February of last year'', but I don't think he deserves the benefit of the doubt right now. He's not as bad as he looked to start the season, but I don't think he's as good as he's been since coming back from the AHL either. The median of that is a below average goalie.

Marty was old, and washed up.

How is that similar to Cory who is coming back from an injury lol?

And yes, he does deserve the benefit of the doubt now that he's healthy

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
i wonder if we can fall down some more in this period. Holy *% it was like we were icing 5 clarksons every shift in the first

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Now people will see how crucial to the PK he was. I'm ok with the trade though because we need the higher pick.

Is Santini going to be anything more than a Jon Merrill (who is having a decent year) type #6/7 D? Guess we gotta be patient.
I was obviously joking, but I'd have to say that he definitely was important part of our defense, but with all respect to him that tells you more about the Devils than Lovejoy.

He will be great for Dallas though, if he's played in the right role.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I have to agree with Bleedred, I desperately want Cory to be good again, but it’s not going to happen.

Outside of the injuries, he has declined significantly as a player over the last three years. At this point his absolute best is going to be mediocre, nothing close to the goalie he once was.

Unfortunately his contract means he’ll likely be a Devil again next season, i’d prefer to move on from him but I find it unlikely that we will. I can only hope he doesn’t cost us too many games next season, as the days of him stealing games for us are long gone.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty was old, and washed up.

How is that similar to Cory who is coming back from an injury lol?

And yes, he does deserve the benefit of the doubt now that he's healthy
Marty was no more washed up than Cory is now.

He was older than Cory, that's about it.

I see no reason to believe that 33 year old Cory is any better than 38-41 year old Marty.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

He was just good, he was great for a period of time. But I've always felt he had trouble when .the pressure was really cranked up. Like he'd lose confidence. Even within a game. Like he'd give up two or three stinkers, then be completely unbeatable until the game was tied, then give up another stinker.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have to agree with Bleedred, I desperately want Cory to be good again, but it’s not going to happen.

Outside of the injuries, he has declined significantly as a player over the last three years. At this point his absolute best is going to be mediocre, nothing close to the goalie he once was.

Unfortunately his contract means he’ll likely be a Devil again next season, i’d prefer to move on from him but I find it unlikely that we will. I can only hope he doesn’t cost us too many games next season, as the days of him stealing games for us are long gone.
He might be able to play here next year, but he can't be the best goalie on the team again. And if he's the starter, we're probably a lock to miss the playoffs automatically.

A team like Tampa or San Jose might be able to make the playoffs with him as a starter.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal

You can't say outside of his injury like it wasn't the major reason why his play dropped so bad

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You only think it's funny because Cory is 33 (next month) and not in his 40's, but his play is on par with Marty of those years.

So I don't see why you have to LOL at everything.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Santini is having an excellent game.

NOT!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is one of the reasons Gabriel isn't good.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
You only think it's funny because Cory is 33 (next month) and not in his 40's, but his play is on par with Marty of those years.

So I don't see why you have to LOL at everything.

Because, frankly, your argument is sorta ridiculous. The whole 100 game argument thrown about by you and a few others is, frankly, meaningless, and beyond that totally void of intellectual honesty.

He's a butterfly goalie who had a hip injury for the past two years. That's like a pitcher with a broken arm or a wide receiver with a broken hand. It makes it near impossible to perform well in any measurable way.

He's not young, and not our goalie of the future, and no one is going to argue that he is. But all the objective evidence so far is that, after finally recovering from the injuries and surgeries, he's playing very well behind a putrid team. Not elite anymore, sure, but still very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad