Speculation: The Colorado Avalanche Are More Than $6M Below The Cap Floor With One Roster Spot To Fill

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You can have lucic for a 2 2nds

No deal Lucic's size has been moved for picks, only a similarly bad contract. It most likely has too much term to be a part of a pick only deal but if it would to happen you would be looking at a price tag of adding on 2-3 1st rounders to unload that deal straight up based on previous moves. Which again shows why its unlikely to happen. If EDM wants Lucic gone they will need to look to swap bad contract for bad contract.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I can see them making plays for Tavares and Carlsson, and then promptly getting laughed at or agents not returning phone calls.

I'm sure they'll find a way to hit the cap floor. Islanders figured it out. Has Tim Thomas retired yet?

Actually, come to think of it I have a solution right now. If Ladd will agree to waive his NMC will trade you Ladd, and our 12th for a loser D you got hanging around, lol.

Wow, what's your problem mister? I can taste the salt.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Being under the cap has never been an issue. There are teams like that every year and its never caused problems. It puts them in a position to go after JT competitively or if they'd like they can pull and ARZ and take a contract from a team with cap issues for an extra high pick. Other than that you just stand pat. The more cap space you have the better, using it simply because you can in a sport with guaranteed contracts is an idiots move.

Also, the youngest team in the league shouldn't be realistically expected to be a cap team. They should preserve their cap space to be able to pay their youngsters when they come off their ELCs or 2nd contracts. By my estimation, they'll add $15-20m in cap hit next off-season, just by signing their RFAs to extensions, and I still have no idea what Jost and Girard will get in 2 years.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Also, the youngest team in the league shouldn't be realistically expected to be a cap team. They should preserve their cap space to be able to pay their youngsters when they come off their ELCs or 2nd contracts. By my estimation, they'll add $15-20m in cap hit next off-season, just by signing their RFAs to extensions, and I still have no idea what Jost and Girard will get in 2 years.

The young kids will have to be paid, but as long as you are signing to smart deals, then they will get paid what they are worth so its not an issue. If Girard gets paid like a top 2 D its not an issue if that is actually where his game is at. When you know a player is going to get a big raise though, like Mikko, you should factor that in though for sure. Tor is a good example of this, as they have a lot of cap this year but will need a ton of it the year after for core guys. If you don't overpay guys then you should never run into the issue without having a large surplus at a position, like the Avs may have in a few years on D.

What matters is cap efficiency as that will determine your teams talent ceiling during it competitive years. Its what makes the Mackinnon contract so insane and the Lucic deal so bad for example. Having cap space allows Avs to be flexible, for instance they are currently able to add a Tavares in UFA if they wanted to or next year if they wanted to go after a Karlsson. This biggest mistake fans often make is not realizing that doing nothing is FAR better than signing an inefficient deal (like most UFA targets) as well as thinking that change for the sake of change is a good thing. Often the teams that find the most success are the ones who the most patient and draft and develop well.

For example the Avs would be much better off doing nothing than to sign JVR to a 7x7 deal. It might not seem obvious for newer fans but its not even close.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The young kids will have to be paid, but as long as you are signing to smart deals, then they will get paid what they are worth so its not an issue. If Girard gets paid like a top 2 D its not an issue if that is actually where his game is at. When you know a player is going to get a big raise though, like Mikko, you should factor that in though for sure. Tor is a good example of this, as they have a lot of cap this year but will need a ton of it the year after for core guys. If you don't overpay guys then you should never run into the issue without having a large surplus at a position, like the Avs may have in a few years on D.

What matters is cap efficiency as that will determine your teams talent ceiling during it competitive years. Its what makes the Mackinnon contract so insane and the Lucic deal so bad for example. Having cap space allows Avs to be flexible, for instance they are currently able to add a Tavares in UFA if they wanted to or next year if they wanted to go after a Karlsson. This biggest mistake fans often make is not realizing that doing nothing is FAR better than signing an inefficient deal (like most UFA targets) as well as thinking that change for the sake of change is a good thing. Often the teams that find the most success are the ones who the most patient and draft and develop well.

For example the Avs would be much better off doing nothing than to sign JVR to a 7x7 deal. It might not seem obvious for newer fans but its not even close.

I completely agree that the youngsters need to earn whatever contract they gets. I just have no clue what Jost and Girard will deserve in 2 years. We've seen them play decently well as 19/20 year olds rookies. Will they earn big money in the next 2 years? I sure hope so, but who really knows? I don't even know what to expect from Kerfoot and Compher next season, even though I think they both have potential to earn decent raises.

And, I also completely agree with cap efficiency. You really need players who outperform their paycheck in order to be competitive. It's all about the guys on ELCs who play well, or the guys who were already on a longer second contract when they significantly improved. And, you need a constant supply of these guys if you want to be competitive for more than a couple of years at a time, which is why drafting well is so important. And, there's no reason to do anything to the roster that might harm the long term plan when the plan seems to be working well so far.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I completely agree that the youngsters need to earn whatever contract they gets. I just have no clue what Jost and Girard will deserve in 2 years. We've seen them play decently well as 19/20 year olds rookies. Will they earn big money in the next 2 years? I sure hope so, but who really knows? I don't even know what to expect from Kerfoot and Compher next season, even though I think they both have potential to earn decent raises.

And, I also completely agree with cap efficiency. You really need players who outperform their paycheck in order to be competitive. It's all about the guys on ELCs who play well, or the guys who were already on a longer second contract when they significantly improved. And, you need a constant supply of these guys if you want to be competitive for more than a couple of years at a time, which is why drafting well is so important. And, there's no reason to do anything to the roster that might harm the long term plan when the plan seems to be working well so far.

The Avs have a great track record of paying guys what they're worth. I wouldn't worry too much about any future deals.

The best way to view ELCs is that they subsidize the less efficient deals as they are always so cheap if you have a high end player like one it drastically increases the clubs overall talent level. Although this really only matters when you are trying to win a cup. Pit is a great example, when they won the cup they had a lot of players like Rust, Guentzel, etc playing big roles on ELCs which really allowed them to get over the hump talent wise despite having a ton of money on a few big key deals.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Would you take Orpik? 1 year, apparently really good vocal defensive leader and the whole caps bench loves him and credits him as a big factor in getting this far. Can still play at a 3rd pairing level and Colorado wanted him in his UFA year. Probably gets a pick at the deadline @50%

Don't even want to trade him but need to sign a bunch of people and he's hogging cap space

I assume there's a sweetener but maybe like Caps 1st and 4th for avs 2nd

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would you take Orpik? 1 year, apparently really good vocal defensive leader and the whole caps bench loves him and credits him as a big factor in getting this far. Can still play at a 3rd pairing level and Colorado wanted him in his UFA year. Probably gets a pick at the deadline @50%

Don't even want to trade him but need to sign a bunch of people and he's hogging cap space

I assume there's a sweetener but maybe like Caps 1st and 4th for avs 2nd
16th OA + something else for Orpik + Wilson + Samsonov :naughty:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I do see a fit for Orpik though. Avs fans have been saying it for a while. Maybe the Avs can move up a round in the draft or something by taking him on.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Sounds good to me

Especially when you consider that there's probably no one better to room with Makar and show him how to be a professional his first year in the league.

They'd be a great third pairing to throw out against weak 2nd/3rd lines as well

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Especially when you consider that there's probably no one better to room with Makar and show him how to be a professional his first year in the league.

They'd be a great third pairing to throw out against weak 2nd/3rd lines as well
Makar won’t be in the NHL next year. But replace the name “Makar” with “Girard” or “Timmins” and the same concept applies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Harsh.

I don’t think anybody is laughing at a playoff team who can offer them maximum dollars. Not saying they would sign in Colorado, but laughed at and ignored? That’s stupid.

Well, I guess I don't consider the Avs a playoff team as the team they beat to get in traded off one of their best forwards at the trade deadline and pretty much threw in the towel. They held the door open and said, "Hey Avs, ladies first."

Reactions: Murzu

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
TB might be looking to deal either JT Miller or Tyler Johnson, possibly both.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'd take both guys on the Avs, we need to put together some depth to put pressure on other teams and to take pressure off the 1st line.

JT Miller is an RFA, looking at 5+m per year (rough guess). Johnson's making $5m for the next six years, which isn't too bad so long as the cap rises as expected.

If Miller's dealt, my guess is it's for futures and we keep Johnson. If Johnson's dealt, my guess is we'll be looking for a solid Dman, and then it's 50-50 on whether or not we'd deal Miller or sign him. He had a very underwhelming playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad