Speculation: The Colorado Avalanche Are More Than $6M Below The Cap Floor With One Roster Spot To Fill

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
With Daly speculating the cap will be around $80M, it means that the cap floor will likely be just over 59M.
The Avs are projected to be more than 6M away from reaching that floor ($27M from the cap ceiling LOL) with just one roster spot to fill based on their projected lineup (end of season lineup + signing of their new backup from Europe).

Colorado Avalanche - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

P
rojected Cap Ceiling: $80M
Projected Cap Floor: $59m
Avalanche Projected Cap Hit: $52,833,095 (22/23 man roster)
Projected Cap Space: $27,166,905

Of course there may be an AHL send down or two that will clear up a few roster spaces but as of now that's a fine chunk of change to make up to add one player.

It's been made clear that Kroenke has given Sakic the green light to sp9end to the cap ceiling and right now they aren't even really close to the floor with pretty much a full roster. What does everyone think their plan is with that cap space for this offseason?

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I could see them going after Tavares, despite the fact that what they really need is defense. They also have questionable center depth though so Tavares might be a great add.

There are a good deal of solid defensemen available in UFA and they’ll probably look for an upgrade there.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Look for them to target Stastny/Bozak (played at University of Denver) and Enstrom/Cole/JJ

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I mean they have to sign a backup goalie and maybe a #1 after next year

They have to sign atleast 1 or 2 def and 4-5 forwards who are RFA

They are probably gonna hit the cap with just the resigning

For some reasons i can see them targeting Carlson

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I could see them going after Tavares, despite the fact that what they really need is defense.

Center is the biggest weakness on the Avs. Defense is passable with a healthy EJ and developing young players and prospects. There's no #2 centers to be found anytime soon unless Jost leaps forward in his development.

Best to sign Tavares or Stastny to an overpriced contract than Carlson.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I could see them going after Tavares, despite the fact that what they really need is defense. They also have questionable center depth though so Tavares might be a great add.

There are a good deal of solid defensemen available in UFA and they’ll probably look for an upgrade there.
Just curious why you think defensemen is what they need most. I think you hit the nail on the head with the centre depth. Their top 6 in general is really missing that one impact piece. I think Tavares makes a lot of sense for them but I disagree that they need defense most. They're looking pretty solid there and are only going to get better in time.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Center is the biggest weakness on the Avs. Defense is passable with a healthy EJ and developing young players and prospects. There's no #2 centers to be found anytime soon unless Jost leaps forward in his development.

Best to sign Tavares or Stastny to an overpriced contract than Carlson.

Maybe passable. I would say but “maybe passable, but not cup contending”, but then Tavares-MacKinnon is as good of a 1-2 punch as Crosby-Malkin and Pittsburgh won the Cup with a similarly weak defense in 2017 so maybe it is good enough to win. I still think it needs work but maybe Zadorov-EJ and Girard-Barrie is a decent top-4.

Future looks bright in Colorado if they get Tavares.

Just curious why you think defensemen is what they need most. I think you hit the nail on the head with the centre depth. Their top 6 in general is really missing that one impact piece. I think Tavares makes a lot of sense for them but I disagree that they need defense most. They're looking pretty solid there and are only going to get better in time.

Top-10 in GF and bottom half in GA tells me that they probably need improvement on D, but perhaps I am a bit ignorant on a team I don’t know enough about.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Want a lightly used Marleau?
Leafs could use the extra cap space, and he is a good mentor for young guys.

Weast

May 16, 2011
Tavares would be dope but I hope we grab Stastny instead, probably would be better long term

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Dang that's a pretty good spot to be in... solid prospects in their pool too.... should be a very aggressive off season from them id assume.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Can I interest you in an entire line? How does Killorn - Miller - Johnson sound? Only ask for Makar and a 1st this year or next?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
Karl Alzner
David Schlemko

Whatever they want to offer.

LHD, which the AVs are asking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad