The (coaching) Replacements: Pick Your Poisons

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So it's really clear the staff needs to go.

Who is your short list of three possible replacements?

I lean toward Patrick Roy after the success he had in Quebec after leaving the Avs. Yes, Colorado stepped back each year prior to him leaving, though they were an egregious tire-fire in Bednar's first season as HC.

Second? Bruce Boudreau. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't win in the playoffs but he has a history of getting teams there and doing it with some entertaining, offensive hockey.

Third? Craig Berube, after getting run out of St. Louis for Armstrong's failings, I figure he's going to be highly motivated.

Guys who I think would be the wrong hire? Yeo, Sutter or Babcock. At least Yeo likely doesn't become available since he's on staff with the Canucks.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Other experienced guys with success - Julien, Vigneault, Quenneville (ya, I know). And please, whoever it is, no more off-the-board picks.

In b4 "who would want the job?" The reputation of the franchise (and owner) notwithstanding, I'll wager there are plenty of coaches who look at the undeniable young talent on this team who would love to have a crack at realizing more of its potential.

Any of them. But I'm also scared to let Kevyn make even one more decision for this franchise.
Possibly unpopular opinion - I'd much prefer Adams make that call over Terry.

Last edited:

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
So it's really clear the staff needs to go.

Who is your short list of three possible replacements?

I lean toward Patrick Roy after the success he had in Quebec after leaving the Avs. Yes, Colorado stepped back each year prior to him leaving, though they were an egregious tire-fire in Bednar's first season as HC.

Second? Bruce Boudreau. Yeah, yeah, he doesn't win in the playoffs but he has a history of getting teams there and doing it with some entertaining, offensive hockey.

Third? Craig Berube, after getting run out of St. Louis for Armstrong's failings, I figure he's going to be highly motivated.

Guys who I think would be the wrong hire? Yeo, Sutter or Babcock. At least Yeo likely doesn't become available since he's on staff with the Canucks.
Joel Quenneville although he needs to do more to apologize and get forgiven.

Berube probably next.

Then Boudreau, Julien, or Gallant.

Then some of the current assistants (on winning staffs)

I want a proven winner

No to Babcock.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Also I’d like Evanson or Berube.

Or f*** I’d even like to see how Granato would be with some veteran assistants.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It's too late for Don's friend group to shift without it being the HC too.
We’ll see, Marek and Wysh both reported on JM’s radio show that they talked to some of their Buffalo sources and they felt Donnie is safe. This was last week but still.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We’ll see, Marek and Wysh both reported on JM’s radio show that they talked to some of their Buffalo sources and they felt Donnie is safe. This was last week but still.

Oh, I think he's safe too. This bumblef*** of an organization seems like they're going to just go on plunging toward destroying the last of their fanbase with a smile on their face and assured that their all vibes group are all chums and like one another.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One knock I have on Berube was his PP (Ott's baby) in St. Louis was a problem.

I know that Apps is not who I want them promoting. Nice guy, kinda like the job he's doing in Rochester... but seems like more of the same. Like Regier and Adams both with their exhaustive searches that were basically just walking down the hall to a member of staff and retaining them (Rolston and Granato moving from interim to actual HC ).

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I'd like to see Berube, but, while it's all fun and games to speculate, obviously, the Sabres will do what they always do: nothing. Then, they'll get hot and go on run to 9th place before ultimately collapsing and disintegrating at the slightest hint of pressure.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've always liked Boudreau and was all for him after Kreuger got fired. I even remember him saying he wanted the Buffalo job.

Whoever hf sabres hates the most would be best. Just like when everyone didnt want patrick kane near the team.
Its quite annoying but Kane made his choice, not HF Boards. If he was here with 10 points in 10 games I would be gleefully gloating because I was one of the few who wanted him.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Its quite annoying but Kane made his choice, not HF Boards. If he was here with 10 points in 10 games I would be gleefully gloating because I was one of the few who wanted him.
Intentionally never commented so I could claim I knew what should have happened all along. Although quietly I hoped he’d be a Sabre for no other reason than the Buffalo-born #1 pick playing for his home team. Well that, and a little optimism he might be great again.

Anyway on the coaching side. I’d be happy with Berube. This team needs someone to demand accountability, commitment and performance.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Whoever hf sabres hates the most would be best. Just like when everyone didnt want patrick kane near the team.

While Kane may have 11 points in 11 games, he is -2, so he hasn't really been much of a net positive in the scoring department. The redwings are also 2 and 9 since he joined the lineup (They were 14-7-3 before he started playing for them.

He's a liability defensively on the ice, and I am pretty sure that most of the posters here that didn't want him still feel strongly that Buffalo is not a better team with him, despite the points.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
While Kane may have 11 points in 11 games, he is -2, so he hasn't really been much of a net positive in the scoring department. The redwings are also 2 and 9 since he joined the lineup (They were 14-7-3 before he started playing for them.

He's a liability defensively on the ice, and I am pretty sure that most of the posters here that didn't want him still feel strongly that Buffalo is not a better team with him, despite the points.
He would have fit right in here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad