The class of Erik Karlsson

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Further proof Karlsson only cares about padding his own stats, and nothing about team success.

:popcorn:
Yes showing sportmanahip, shaking other teams hands. Those damn europeans..

If you NA guys know that all eueopeans has handshake line after EVERY game. We have a diffrent sort of sportmanship than NA has. We have it flowing through all through the game.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Further proof Karlsson only cares about padding his own stats, and nothing about team success.

:popcorn:

I mean people(except the ones who gets into politics) applause Ovi(and by extension the entire Caps org) for blatantly building the season(s) around paddings his goals totals at this point, what should Karlsson do with this season if not aim for 100? Even if he had 300 pts Sharks would still suck.

Someone like Miro would be a 40-50 pts player at the Sharks and get close to zero attention, regardless of if he tried to sacrifice defence or not.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
There's just been too many instances with him in San Jose where it looks like he just doesn't care about defending, almost as if it's a weight on his shoulders. Him visibly giving up on plays, or him hardly moving when someone comes down with the puck, et cetera. It's not hate to point this out. It's also not hate to say you think he was overall a better player in Ottawa than he is now.

I think for instance Karlsson should have won 2014 Olympic MVP honors instead of Selänne. He was easily one of the best overall players at his prime. He just had a quicker step and was more overall engaged (at both ends of the ice).

Then I guess there's the more broader debate about team deployment. For instance, some people pretend a player would score more points by default if just teleported to a more successful team, but that's not how it works. Ice time, deployment, coaching, all these things come into play. Often times players point totals goes down when joining a better team, because coaching is different and they have to share duties with more impactful pieces.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really enjoy watching Karlsson, easily one of my favourites to watch over the last 10+ years. He gets ripped because he has ranged from terrible to just fine defensively, and people want defencemen to all play the same way. Honestly if defencemen were called "guards" as in basketball (and the position has similar origins to guards in basketball) people would probably be less fixated on it.

It was disappointing what happened to his body and how it derailed his career. I'm glad that he had this big resurgence year.... even if he is awful defensively. I can still easily enjoy it.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Because so many people are hockey hipsters and think they deserve some sort of cred for thinking it's cooler to play defence than offence today. It's a fad, it will blow over, and the hipsters will move on to the next thing they think is in. Just like it did with fighting, analytics, power forwards, and many other things in recent years.

So it’s a fad for people to hold him accountable as a defenseman and they’d be better off if they just accept that he’s really an extra forward?

Got it.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
There's just been too many instances with him in San Jose where it looks like he just doesn't care about defending, almost as if it's a weight on his shoulders. Him visibly giving up on plays, or him hardly moving when someone comes down with the puck, et cetera. It's not hate to point this out. It's also not hate to say you think he was overall a better player in Ottawa than he is now.

I think for instance Karlsson should have won 2014 Olympic MVP honors instead of Selänne. He was easily one of the best overall players at his prime. He just had a quicker step and was more overall engaged (at both ends of the ice).

Then I guess there's the more broader debate about team deployment. For instance, some people pretend a player would score more points by default if just teleported to a more successful team, but that's not how it works. Ice time, deployment, coaching, all these things come into play. Often times players point totals goes down when joining a better team, because coaching is different and they have to share duties with more impactful pieces.
So how did Coffey score all of those points playing on stacked teams with 99 and 66?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
If he was Canadien he’d be considered the GOAT

He won this Norris trophy easily, sorry y’all’s favorite Canadien couldn’t score within 30 pts lmao
Let's get our facts straight, Morrissey is only 27 points behind...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I like how he wanted out of Ottawa and sold their fans a sap story about cheap management until they called his bluff and he just left anyways or the part where he lied about the Hoffmans and didn't apologize after being completely wrong. Classy indeed.
Absolutely nothing you’ve said here is correct. Impressive.

Funny that you come in here and personify what the OP is describing, and what a bunch of others have come in here to say doesn’t exist.

So how did Coffey score all of those points playing on stacked teams with 99 and 66?
Looking at his ES/PP splits makes that argument even sillier.

Reactions: umma gumma

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
The hate isn't for the player.

He's an electrifying generational offensive defenseman that's worth the price of admission almost every single night and teams are lucky to have him and fans are blessed to watch him.

The hate is for the boisterous opinions that feel the need to suggest every other dman sucks in comparison and shout down any dissenting opinions with insults.
Really not a thing around here. Last time I remember it on these boards a lot was when a certain toothless player who was thought to be "due" somehow won the Norris and some posters put up hundreds and hundreds (thousands) of angry posts denigrating Karlsson in the leadup to the selection . Hmmmmm.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The hate isn't for the player.

He's an electrifying generational offensive defenseman that's worth the price of admission almost every single night and teams are lucky to have him and fans are blessed to watch him.

The hate is for the boisterous opinions that feel the need to suggest every other dman sucks in comparison and shout down any dissenting opinions with insults.
Exactly.

Add to that the ridiculous number of threads created about him for "discussion" where there can be no dissenting opinion. There should be a "It's been # days since a new Karlsson thread" at the top of hfboards.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Posts a 5 year old video lol..

Anyways I was going to see what Ben White would have to say about this but then I remembered he’s building a church for Karlsson so he’s been busy.

• Love
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
I dont know what these guys are smoking, honestly.

Any other dman over 100 pts played on a stacked team.

Orr, Coffey, Leetch, MacIniss, Potvin and hopefully Karlsson. it’s laughable to pretend those guys would have done even better had they just had the good fortune to have Esposito, Trottier, Bossy, Gretzky, Kurri, Lemieux, Jagr, Messier, Fleury removed from theor teams and replaced with garbage cans.

Reactions: karltonian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad