The class of Erik Karlsson

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Paul Coffey was hated too for winning Norris trophies and other reasons. People can either accept there is more than one way to play the position and be recognized, or they can't. Outside of EK65 play on the ice, never heard much negative or concerning issues about the guy.

Everyone who puts up great numbers is compared to Orr, Potvin and Bourque, who were able to play great in both ends of the ice. Even Brian Leetch was suspect in his own end as well.

It's not the player, it's the game. The hate is a much bigger issue than just EK65.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The hate isn't for the player.

He's an electrifying generational offensive defenseman that's worth the price of admission almost every single night and teams are lucky to have him and fans are blessed to watch him.

The hate is for the boisterous opinions that feel the need to suggest every other dman sucks in comparison and shout down any dissenting opinions with insults.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018

He's an electrifying generational offensive defenseman that's worth the price of admission almost every single night and teams are lucky to have him and fans are blessed to watch him.

The hate is for the boisterous opinions that feel the need to suggest every other dman sucks in comparison and shout down any dissenting opinions with insults.
No one has done that as far as I have seen.

at all, in fact.

most people think EK has had a massive bounce back season and deserves the Norris, and the future belongs to Makar, Heiskanen, Fox, etc.

Race Dawg

Mar 10, 2023
Sunny Muskoka
Paul Coffey was hated too for winning Norris trophies and other reasons. People can either accept there is more than one way to play the position and be recognized, or they can't. Outside of EK65 play on the ice, never heard much negative or concerning issues about the guy.

Everyone who puts up great numbers is compared to Orr, Potvin and Bourque, who were able to play great in both ends of the ice. Even Brian Leetch was suspect in his own end as well.

It's not the player, it's the game. The hate is a much bigger issue than just EK65.
Nope still my favorite D although I will admit it's hard to watch him with San Jose.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Continual surge of hate for him started with him being a superstar in Ontario that overshadowed anything the beloved Leafs had going on. They couldn't knock his stats, so they went after something subjective.

Leafs have the largest fan base in hockey and it was fueled from that.

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
Is he hated? I was a Sens fan and I don't hate him. Definitely want to see 100pts. I can understand the disappointment of the past 4 years though. Among San Jose fans. Even now I imagine they feel "but where were you when it mattered". And Sens rivals were gonna root for his downfall regardless. I don't think there was ever anything about his happy go lucky personality that invited hate.

-14 on a team like the Sharks actually isn't terrible. Will say about Karlsson the system either has to run through him or there's no point. Is "through him" good enough to win a cup with the right pieces around? Probably not but we don't know. It wasn't on Ottawa. And San Jose made a mistake trading for him but not making him their quarterback, a 1-2 platoon with Burns. There's no halfway with Karlsson if you want to get the best out of him.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I love Karlsson, but isn't this clip several years old from when he's still on the Sens?

And the fact that it's framed by one of the pundits proclaiming "I would be one of the biggest D-Bags ever" (great professionalism there) when little does that pundit realize, he already IS one of the biggest D-Bags ever, I come to the conclusion that this isn't even a Karlsson story at all.

It's a historical thread on the context of a self-admitted douchebag. Belongs in the History of Hockey section, imo.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
2 points away from 100, while also leading the league in ES and 5on5 points. When was the last time that happened, expecially outscoring a player like McDavid?

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think he's hated. People just point out the fact that he doesn't play any defense when he is on the ice. Which is the truth.
It's not true. He's as great a poke checker as Lidstrom. In the halcyon Sens days he was a plus whatever. Even on the Sharks at -14 that isn't bad. What is true is he takes risks. As do all the offensive defensemen. Look at Ottawa's run to game 7 OT of the eastern conference finals, and tell me he's bad defensively. He willed Ottawa to that when the Sens had no business being there.

• Haha
Reactions: thaman8765678

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Exceptional talent and seems to be back to his old form, a bit sad that we won't see him in the playoffs.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Because so many people are hockey hipsters and think they deserve some sort of cred for thinking it's cooler to play defence than offence today. It's a fad, it will blow over, and the hipsters will move on to the next thing they think is in. Just like it did with fighting, analytics, power forwards, and many other things in recent years.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015

Seriously lol. Great explanation here for the difference between “fan” and “Stan”

There are some people arguing he shouldn’t get the Norris, but that’s a pretty small (if loud) group

The defense v offense for Norris argument is old, and certainly doesn’t just happen in seasons when Karlsson is in the running.

Much of its preference, although this year Karlsson’s case is rock solid in light of what the field looks like

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
No one has done that as far as I have seen.

at all, in fact.

most people think EK has had a massive bounce back season and deserves the Norris, and the future belongs to Makar, Heiskanen, Fox, etc.
its died down some, but definitely earlier in the season I was seeing plenty of

“Ha people thought ____ was special, Karlsson making all the exciting young defenseman his kids!”

Or saying he’s "clearly" the only generational player in the position.

Offensively fine, I don’t really care to argue that like Ovi is generational goal scorer while Crosby is generational forward. But there’s multiple defenseman (a few at most) I’d take on my team over him even ignoring age and contract.

Not to say I wouldn’t be absolutely stoked to have Karlsson on the Caps, as would any sane person for their team. As legit a norris front runner as you'll ever see.

I think much of the conversation shifted from the early hype to arguing over his "true value" or old school all defense mentality

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I like how he wanted out of Ottawa and sold their fans a sap story about cheap management until they called his bluff and he just left anyways or the part where he lied about the Hoffmans and didn't apologize after being completely wrong. Classy indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad