The Chris Kunitz Thread! Now with more laziness

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Honestly, as long as his health permits, I'd rather have Dupuis as the third wheel with Crosby and Kessel. Kunitz has turned into a dog, whereas at least Dupuis gives max effort each shift and can cause turnovers. Plus he's got the speed to keep up with the other two. Kunitz looked slow last year.

I really don't like a scenario where Kunitz is still on the team come September. I just think he (along with Scuderi) is someone the team needs to move on from, even if it's a minimal return.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
That should tell you how I feel about Sutter and Kunitz. I would trade them both for whatever we can get for them.

I don't think that is realistic, especially Sutter at 3C. I'm not comfortable rolling with complete unknown centers after Sid and Geno.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think that is realistic, especially Sutter at 3C. I'm not comfortable rolling with complete unknown centers after Sid and Geno.

I'd rather not know what my 3C will do than know that my 3C will suck.

Seriously though, if that's a concern, sign somebody. I think Matthias is still out there.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah, I dunno. It might not be the end of the world if he's playing every night over some of what we have (Rust, etc), but I don't think he's going to slide down to a third line and be effective (Recchi for example).

Then again, the entire bottom half of the lineup is presently in flux with Spaling gone and Sutter on the block, so it's hard to say.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'd rather not know what my 3C will do than know that my 3C will suck.

Seriously though, if that's a concern, sign somebody. I think Matthias is still out there.

It is a concern. A rather large and important one I think. We have to replace a 3C if we trade Sutter.

Kunitz,.. if we can get someone better, sure. Does he have any type of NTC?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't want to loop Sutter in with Kunitz. Sutter can score on a semi regular bassis and play great defense. He just sucks at everything else.

The way Kunitz finished he looked done as a hockey player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't want to loop Sutter in with Kunitz. Sutter can score on a semi regular bassis and play great defense. He just sucks at everything else.

The way Kunitz finished he looked done as a hockey player.

He doesn't play good enough defense to make up for how bad he is at puck possession imo. He is just completely useless in the offensive zone after the rush. And cycling the puck is far more useful than playing good defense as a forward.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
He doesn't play good enough defense to make up for how bad he is at puck possession imo. He is just completely useless in the offensive zone after the rush. And cycling the puck is far more useful than playing good defense as a forward.

If we are able to get someone better, then sure, but we need pkers and defense too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we are able to get someone better, then sure, but we need pkers and defense too.

If a 3C isn't good enough at defense to be matched against other team's best lines (sutter isn't) then his defense isn't really good enough to matter much imo.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
There's no way we go into this season with Kunitz/Sutter/Dupuis as a line. That would be a possession black hole that costs 11 million+. And you can't match it up against top lines, because Kunitz is a dog defensively these days, and Sutter has his deficiencies too. I'd almost rather have Dupuis/Sutter/Bennett, at least it's cheaper and BB can actually distribute the puck.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
If a 3C isn't good enough at defense to be matched against other team's best lines (sutter isn't) then his defense isn't really good enough to matter much imo.

I don't want the risk of a downgrade at 3c though. Not if we don't have too. Maybe I save it for the other thread as I seem to be getting off topic of Kunitz.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't want the risk of a downgrade at 3c though. Not if we don't have too. Maybe I save it for the other thread as I seem to be getting off topic of Kunitz.

I'll get it back on topic. I think Sutter is worse at filling a 3C role than Kunitz would be at filling a 3LW role. Ideally, I'd move both.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
In today's NHL, it's about minimizing cap mistakes and obtaining assets so you can adjust later as needed. ie what Chicago has done (outside of Bickell/Saad fiasco), how CBJ and Buffalo flipped things around quickly. Toronto did this today somewhat, signing cheap CORSI guys who will be moved for more assets at the deadline.

I would LOVE to see at least 2 of Kunitz, Scuderi, Sutter moved for draft picks. You gotta figure Kunitz and Sutter are worth a 3rd rounder somewhere. Move Sutter for a draft pick, give Eric Fehr his salary for a 2 year deal. Something like that. Or upgrade the defense with that money.

Quite a few teams are still under the cap floor right now.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Would a Kunitz for Mike Weber work

Just curious, but Pittsburgh may be looking to try to move Kunitz to clear up some cap space. I am wondering if Sabres fans would consider a trade centered around Kunitz for Mike Weber. If so who adds? Weber is a free agent next summer.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
We could get more for Kunitz, we don't need Weber. Local guy or not, he's not a good player and we're already flush with marginal defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad