The Chris Kunitz Thread! Now with more laziness

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Most of us are on the side of the argument that his best days are behind him and if we can move him in order to open up cap space then we should.

That being said, in the event that we don't (which obviously is very likely), I'm also of the opinion that he can still be a pretty effective player for us if his ice time is properly managed. My biggest gripe with Kunitz isn't so much in regards to his ability, but rather his longevity, which is to be expected when talking about a player that is north of 35 years of age and plays a physical brand of hockey. To play someone of those credentials for 20+ minutes a game just doesn't make any sense in my opinion. The acquisition of Kessel will undoubtedly FINALLY see Kunitz bumped off of the top PP, which should consequently reduce his playing time by about 2-3 mins per game.

With that in mind, is it safe to say that he can still be a relatively productive 20-25 goal, 40-50 point guy if limited to about 17 minutes per game? At a cap hit just shy of 4 million that still doesn't seem to bad...

Thoughts?

penguins2946*

Kunitz as the 3rd wheel with Crosby and Kessel wouldn't be a problem, as long as Kunitz consistently puts in an effort and just focuses on being a puck retriever. There's too many ifs for me to want to keep him though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd trade Sutter first but leaning towards trading them both, depends how Dupuis and Plotnikov look.

Erz8771

Aug 2, 2007
T.Bay
If we can free up his salary you go for it. With that being said my feelings wont be hurt if hes here for another season. I think hes very capable of bouncing back.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I really think he has to go. Contract isn't good and he just doesn't fit in.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I think he could have a bounce back year. If it was between him and Sutter to move, it would easily be Sutter.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I still hope we trade Kunitz. He will likely be better this year than last year, but I just think even if he is its time to move on for the sake of the culture change.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Kunitz on the third line is a lot more palatable but I'd still prefer to see him gone. I doubt he is going to bounce back after all the moping he did last year. As terrible as Scuds is Kunitz was the biggest albatross on the team last year. I'd move him for futures if necessary.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Kunitz on the third line is a lot more palatable but I'd still prefer to see him gone. I doubt he is going to bounce back after all the moping he did last year. As terrible as Scuds is Kunitz was the biggest albatross on the team last year. I'd move him for futures if necessary.

What is this moping stuff (not saying its not true--just don't know about it)?

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I'm sure someone will chime in with the specifics but there was chatter about him moping about not playing on the 1st line, pp and that DB shouldn't have been fired.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yeah he's gotta go. If not, they'll keep putting him on the top line and top PP..just like last year. Plus he sucks.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Assuming we are going hard for cups over the next 2 years, I am not sure if we should deal Kunitz or Sutter for that matter. Who is going to come in and be better than those two next year in a trade?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's got to go, and it needs to happen while still has some value.

He does still have value, we just will never admit it for the most part.

There are quite a few teams that would be interested, hell I can see his old club Anaheim being really interested as it would give them a familiar face, cap friendly contract for them since Beleskey is going to get a laughable Clarkson type deal.

It's just a matter of the Penguins actually getting on the phone about it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Assuming we are going hard for cups over the next 2 years, I am not sure if we should deal Kunitz or Sutter for that matter. Who is going to come in and be better than those two next year in a trade?

Plotnikov and Sundqvist are already here. Its not like its a high bar to do better than those two.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The way I like to see it is that Plotkinov makes 2lw in training camp. A third line of Dupuis-Sutter-Bennett is solid, even if it isn't ideal. Hopefully Sundqvist makes the starting roster somethere on the 4th line, and if he proves himself he can work up the lineup (like it's supposed to be). With no spots in the top-9 available, and top-9 talent on the 4th line as it is, Kunitz becomes beyond redundant.

My fanbrain wants us to trade Sutter and Kunitz for a "real" 2lw, and let Sundqvist play as third line center. However, I don't see that actually happening. Kunitz needs to go, not because he was bad necessarily (there is a chance he could rebound from last season), but because we simply don't have the roster or cap space for him. Give him to Arizona for a 4th round pick, he can be a 1st liner there.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He does still have value, we just will never admit it for the most part.

There are quite a few teams that would be interested, hell I can see his old club Anaheim being really interested as it would give them a familiar face, cap friendly contract for them since Beleskey is going to get a laughable Clarkson type deal.

It's just a matter of the Penguins actually getting on the phone about it.

Yes, that's what I said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad