The Challenge, Should You Choose To Accept It - Build Next Year's Team

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Why choose a young team maybe on the rise over a good one? In a market he wants to play in? Who wants to help a sluggish offense over playing with one that helps him vs the other way around? He's a power forward, not a playmaking center so he's not changing the offense much. He needs offense around him to put up numbers.

Ottawa is a good team and just ate phaneuf's contract. If someone wants him they'll find a way. He'll have more offers than ours, it's a small group of higher end players this year. He's getting overpaid.

We can afford the contract, but do we want to on a power forward? Do we not need the money later for Hanifin or whoever blows up later? He'd be our highest paid player, but he's a complimentary piece. Puts our scale out of whack, with a possible marginal return on the investment. If we're paying that much money we would want a higher impact player then either Ladd or Okposo.

I'd like to get either one but they are hitting their prime time contract. I would think it'll be a mix of highest bidder with the best chance of winning. We shouldn't be bidding. We could use either one of these guys traded to us in the middle of their last contracts, but not flat out buying them on the open market.

If we keep estaal for 6 mill, then I would possibly reconsider. These guys make great line mates. I also like the Purcell idea, especially for estaal.

I get what you're saying, and I'm more of just playing the devil's advocate. My projection of getting Okposo was under the assumption that Eric was re-signed at $6million or less, which would give Okposo someone to play with. I think in the end, cash rules. I think if Carolina and New York offered him the same deal, obviously we're out, but if Carolina truly wanted to pursue him, I don't think it's far fetched that he could come here.

And realistically, we are at least 4-5 years from paying Hanifin top dollar. He has to finish out his current deal, then he'll be on a 2-3 year bridge contract. Then at the ripe old age of 25, he could get the big deal, which would be the tail end of some of the high dollar contracts on the current roster, and any contract we'd offer to a UFA this year.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I would love to have him, but Jagr cares only about money at this point and we wouldn't be the highest bidder.

That may be true; but I could see I situation where it's not true..

On a 1 year deal, I could see Carolina being the highest bidder on Jagr.. If we're out of playoffs, you just bought yourself a 2nd rock pick or so, by trading Jagr.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
That may be true; but I could see I situation where it's not true..

On a 1 year deal, I could see Carolina being the highest bidder on Jagr.. If we're out of playoffs, you just bought yourself a 2nd rock pick or so, by trading Jagr.

I believe when he left Boston for free agency, Carolina was rumored to be on his list of desired teams before eventually signing with NJ.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
So I was spending some time on Capfriendly.com (which I prefer over GeneralFanager.com)

Thanks for posting about this site, I wasn't aware of it.

Gotta agree with those saying the high-end guys aren't likely to sign with the Canes even if offered a decent contract...kinda sucks with all the big news in free agency to see your team do nothing...but the excitement of the big signings is often followed by the winner's curse.

Hoping RF stays patient again, leaves a roster spot or two open and a little payroll so if the opportunity presents itself (like last year with CHI), he can make another predatory type trade with a desperate team that has over-spent.

Also hoping to see E.Staal, Ward, Versteeg, Nash, and Malone resigned...but only if they want to stick with the team and are wiling to accept a contract that is at best middle-range compensation based on the market.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I get what you're saying, and I'm more of just playing the devil's advocate. My projection of getting Okposo was under the assumption that Eric was re-signed at $6million or less, which would give Okposo someone to play with. I think in the end, cash rules. I think if Carolina and New York offered him the same deal, obviously we're out, but if Carolina truly wanted to pursue him, I don't think it's far fetched that he could come here.

And realistically, we are at least 4-5 years from paying Hanifin top dollar. He has to finish out his current deal, then he'll be on a 2-3 year bridge contract. Then at the ripe old age of 25, he could get the big deal, which would be the tail end of some of the high dollar contracts on the current roster, and any contract we'd offer to a UFA this year.

And I get what your saying too. I'd love to get and am hopeful that we can get a solid UFA forward pick up. But regardless your point about Hanifin and what happens about 6 years out is also something to look at. It ain't just Noah we have to think about. Conceivably the Canes could be signing contracts on their Top 4 defenders in 2020-21. Faulk's contract is up, Pesce and Slavin will likely be in the same boat as Hanifin.

I'd love nothing more than to keep those 4 together assuming they continue to progress.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I get you, and the idea is nice I just don't see it happening.

Bridge contract for Hanifin a done deal? I respect your optimism.:)

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I get you, and the idea is nice I just don't see it happening.

Bridge contract for Hanifin a done deal? I respect your optimism.:)

I don't think Hanifin's going to emerge as a top pairing Dman by the end of his current deal, but definitely before the end of a bridge.

I am optimistic aren't I? Lol, this is the most optimistic I've been about the team in 5yrs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
What I was trying to convey is we have depth between lines 2, 3, and 4, but lack a true top line, and none of our current prospects or young guys on the roster has shown to be a top 3 player. I feel like the players currently in the cupboard at most project to be a 2nd liner.

With the high potential of Staal being traded for 1 more high draft pick and prospect, that would put us with 11 draft picks and yet another decent prospect. I think that between those picks, combined with the 2nd/3rd/4th line depth, this year more than ever is an opportunity for us to move up in the draft to select a prospect that could properly slot on the top line without effecting the balance of the roster or the farm.

If Eric lands us a third 1st round pick, I don't think it would be a JR move to move two of those picks for a better one, and still have another 1st rounder left over. My example of Lindholm/our 1st to move up probably wasn't the best example, but using two draft picks to move up isn't a bad idea.

As far as acquiring UFA's, I question our history of trying. JR was always on record saying he never wanted to acquire the top FA's, instead opting to wait for bargain deals at the end of the summer. I think the only time he ever tried to get a top UFA was the summer of Parise/Suter. At the end of this season, we will have gotten rid of all the bad contracts, and after re-signing our RFA's, we'll probably have about $10 million left to reach the cap floor, let

I know it's a long shot of us moving up in the draft or acquiring a top UFA, but I think this year we are in a position for GMRF to make a bold move.

I was going to bring up a similar point. How often have the Canes had the budget flexibility to be a legitimate player for a free agent of significance? The team has generally committed the vast majority of the budget prior to July 1 in recent years. There just hasn’t been much to spend on UFAs, for the most part. As an example and please correct me if I’m wrong, but the largest contract an external UFA has received from the Canes over the past 3 offseasons was the deal Hainsey got back in 2013. That was only for $2 mil total.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I was going to bring up a similar point. How often have the Canes had the budget flexibility to be a legitimate player for a free agent of significance? The team has generally committed the vast majority of the budget prior to July 1 in recent years. There just hasn’t been much to spend on UFAs, for the most part. As an example and please correct me if I’m wrong, but the largest contract an external UFA has received from the Canes over the past 3 offseasons was the deal Hainsey got back in 2013. That was only for $2 mil total.

Alex Semin came here as a UFA for a 1 year, $7 million deal, but he was far from being well-sought after. Teams new his potential, but was seen to some as a coach killer and locker room cancer. So of course, he was extended for 5 years, same money, and you know the rest.

Also remember the infamous Tomas Kaberle signing a 3yr/$4.5AAV, and immediately stink it up. Was shocked we moved him, and get a decent return.

Aaron Ward came here as a UFA from Boston the year after our last playoff appearance on what I believe was a 1yr/$2.5aav deal. The year prior he was a top pairing dman in Boston with Chara, which anybody could've done on that team. He was very bad here, and was a part of a mass exodus by JR at the TDL.

I can name a bunch of other small editions, but those are the major ones I can think of.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
That was a rhetorical question. Haha.

My point was that there is further context behind the lack of notable activity in July of year's past, beyond market unattractiveness. There have been a couple sporadic signings as you listed, but generally the team has only been able to afford cheap, short-term deals.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ward was traded from Boston to Carolina for Patrick Eaves and a draft pick, he wasn't a UFA signing. Other than the season after the lockout year (04/05), the most notable UFAs the Canes have signed have all pretty much been guys nobody wanted.

Tomas Kaberle, Alex Semin, Ron Hainsey.

There were rumors (not sure how true) that they tried to sign Parise and/or Suter (although JR mentioned it so I suspect that they at least tested the waters) and Jagr as well as a few others but were never successful.

But IMO, the "never had flexibility" to spend on UFAs is another reason guys don't want to come here. They (a) want their money and (b) want to make sure the team will spend to be competitive. I don't see Carolina as an attractive place for UFAs, yet, but in a year or two they could be.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Parise was the top guy JR wanted to sign in 2012, Semin was second on the list.

There seemed to be a biding war for Parise though, Semins situation was more of a whose going to take a chance on him scenario.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
For the next year I'd do the following:

TDL:

Hainsey to the PO team for 3rd or whatever the value is.
Gerbe for whatever pick you can get.
Terry for whatever pick if possible, probably not.

If we're clearly out, pick for Liles, Versteeg too.

Summer:

Let go: Gerbe, Terry, Malone, possibly Versteeg.

Resign Eric 5x6mil.
** Resign Versteeg or get cheap FA or give a spot some of our young players.
X - FA signing like Eriksson, make a move to get Laine etc. using Murphy, Slavin, one of our goalies..

Skinner - Lindholm - X
Nestrasil - J. Staal - E. Staal
** - Rask - DiGiuseppe
McGinn - McClement - Nordström

This will give Skinner, Lindholm, J. Staal the roles they deserve and should be able fill. Skinner should be good enough to be 1st line winger. Jordan should be able to carry 2nd line with good wingers - less responsibility for Eric and goal scoring role. Lindholm os the biggest question mark but I think his work ethic is fine, passing is good, defense is fine so the goals will come with time.

Faulk - Hanifin
Liles - Pesce
Wiz - Slavin / Murphy / Carrick
Carrick / Murphy / Slavin

I'd be curious about Pitkänen too. Let Fleury and McKeown start in the AHL. Give Liles max. 3mil for 2 yrs.
Liles can be switched to another player but I'd prefer him as he fits our team. I'd be open to even trading Pesce for a 1st/2nd line RW if needed. Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury are off the table.

Ward 3-5mil 2-3 yrs. Have no idea what's his value.
Lack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad