CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah that QB controversy is now settled.

Gotta think Durant is one-and-done in Montreal. Can't say he's getting a ton of help, but I think father time is knocking on the door. His release just looks slow and it's allowing defenders to close on receivers too fast. Montreal might still be able to fight off Toronto and Hamilton for the second playoff spot, but really it looks like another lost season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The refs and the Stamps did their best to hand it to them and they still couldn't win.

The refs did their best to hand it to Edmonton? I hope that's a typo. I'll come off as a whiner, but the Esks win this game with relative ease if not for at least 5 absolutely awful calls that bailed the Stamps out repeatedly. I mean, the concussion spotter calls down to have Reilly taken out of the game at a crucial juncture... yet somehow not one of the morons in stripes saw fit to penalize the blow to the head that caused it. I mean... you just can't even make this stuff up anymore. This league just outdoes themselves time and again, and never in a good way. At least most other leagues now have the stones to come out and say when they blew a game. We won't hear a peep out of CFL head office on Monday though.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Sounds like Lulay tore his ACL, and then BC crushed Montreal 41-18. No more decisions.

Lulay all but done for the season, though it hasn't been officially announced.

Dare I say done for his career? :(

Alex Ross out of Coastal Carolna is a our 3rd QB :laugh: We're ****ed if Jennings goes down.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The refs did their best to hand it to Edmonton? I hope that's a typo. I'll come off as a whiner, but the Esks win this game with relative ease if not for at least 5 absolutely awful calls that bailed the Stamps out repeatedly. I mean, the concussion spotter calls down to have Reilly taken out of the game at a crucial juncture... yet somehow not one of the morons in stripes saw fit to penalize the blow to the head that caused it. I mean... you just can't even make this stuff up anymore. This league just outdoes themselves time and again, and never in a good way. At least most other leagues now have the stones to come out and say when they blew a game. We won't hear a peep out of CFL head office on Monday though.

Reilly was cleary hit in the chest not the head.

And yes the refs were 100% on the Esks side that whole game. I mean that line were tackling guys out there without a single call agaisnt them. The Esks defensive game plan was to interfer on every play, it was the only way the DB's could handle the Stamp receivers.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Reilly was cleary hit in the chest not the head.

And yes the refs were 100% on the Esks side that whole game. I mean that line were tackling guys out there without a single call agaisnt them. The Esks defensive game plan was to interfer on every play, it was the only way the DB's could handle the Stamp receivers.

So the concussion spotter pulled him due to a chest injury? Not that that would even surprise me at this point, but obviously one of the two officiating bodies made a blatant mistake that probably cost Edmonton 4 points.

I'd like to hear from somebody who watched on tv, as I was at the game and only saw one replay on the jumbotron: Did Calgary not fumble on that big pass play in the final minute? Looked to me like the receiver got both knees off the ground before being touched and then got stripped, both live action and on the one replay I saw.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
So the concussion spotter pulled him due to a chest injury? Not that that would even surprise me at this point, but obviously one of the two officiating bodies made a blatant mistake that probably cost Edmonton 4 points.

I'd like to hear from somebody who watched on tv, as I was at the game and only saw one replay on the jumbotron: Did Calgary not fumble on that big pass play in the final minute? Looked to me like the receiver got both knees off the ground before being touched and then got stripped, both live action and on the one replay I saw.

Do you actually believe that you can only have a head injury from getting hit directly in the head? The whiplash from his head getting whipped back is an issue, his head banging against the ground is an issue. Plus are they even able to call a penalty if he had hit him in the head? The concussion spotter isn't a ref from what I know.

As for the strip they blew the whistle which is why Parker stopped and the Esks were able to "strip" the ball.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Do you actually believe that you can only have a head injury from getting hit directly in the head? The whiplash from his head getting whipped back is an issue, his head banging against the ground is an issue. Plus are they even able to call a penalty if he had hit him in the head? The concussion spotter isn't a ref from what I know.

As for the strip they blew the whistle which is why Parker stopped and the Esks were able to "strip" the ball.

The spotter? No, of course not. The refs of course are the ones who are supposed to catch those things. But then again, maybe they don't have to. Afterall, no ref called the throat-slash penalty. Somebody somewhere appears to have informed them and they called it retroactively. Just another of about six or seven "is this actually happening?" moments from last night.

I've probably been to 100 games at Commonwealth Stadium over the last 20 years. I've gone away from plenty feeling that a bad call or two influenced the result (be it for or against the Eskimos). That's just typical CFL incompetence that has always existed. But I've never felt so completely cheated as I did last night. The zebras truly went above and beyond in dictating the outcome.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The spotter? No, of course not. The refs of course are the ones who are supposed to catch those things. But then again, maybe they don't have to. Afterall, no ref called the throat-slash penalty. Somebody somewhere appears to have informed them and they called it retroactively. Just another of about six or seven "is this actually happening?" moments from last night.

I've probably been to 100 games at Commonwealth Stadium over the last 20 years. I've gone away from plenty feeling that a bad call or two influenced the result (be it for or against the Eskimos). That's just typical CFL incompetence that has always existed. But I've never felt so completely cheated as I did last night. The zebras truly went above and beyond in dictating the outcome.

The refs were in the favor of the Esks last night. It was very clear.

You can keep trying to come up with excuses as to why your pathetic team lost but the refs had nothing to do with it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
For what it's worth, Bud Steen (employed by the CFL as an evaluator of on-field officials) was on Edmonton radio today. Explained and defended some of the calls that Esks fans have been howling about, but nonetheless admitted that the officiating was "not exactly even", specifically mentioning a crucial missed face-masking call on the Stampeders that denied Edmonton an extra 15 yards of field position on their final drive. Small consolation, but nice to at least see somebody in some sort of vaguely official capacity come out and say they blew it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't think Chapedelaine is a good coach or should have been fired but with what he was given for a roster I am not sure how you could have expected much more. Thorpe on the other hand seems to be a very good, if not great, DC so firing him seems like a stupid move.

The Als are a complete mess and definitely need changes but with Reed as the GM it is hard to imagine that the changes they make will be smart or positive.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Kavis Reed will be the interim HC. You know...the GM who was a mediocre head coach before....

Apparently Reed and Chap have been at war since training camp began.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I think the curtain has finally been pulled back on Chapdelaine as far as him being some offensive guru. He probably needed to go, though only giving him 11 games is pretty harsh. Noel Thorpe being fired as well is surprising though. He was generally seen as a bright spot on the staff up to this point. I wouldn't expect things to get any better under Kavis Reed, that's for sure.

The Wettenhalls have really failed this franchise the last few years. Allowed Popp to run amok firing coaches non stop before finally firing Popp himself, and now their reputation is sewered. No respectable coach or executive is going to take a job with the Als if he has any other options. The writing was on the wall when Reed was made GM basically because nobody else, including Danny freaking Maciocia of all people, wanted the job. Montreal's best bet is to find an up and comer who wants a chance to be a head coach and hope to hell he can recruit a decent QB.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I said it here in the thread near the start, I think Bridge is the future in Saskatchewan and will take over for Glenn at some point. I'm a big fan of Glenn and history would be so much different if Bombers weren't straight stupid and hired Mike Kelly. But his time is basically done, despite the relatively strong year he has had. I can't believe that Montreal just released Bridge in the off-season. He is a talent. I know it's just Hamilton, but his strong arm and athleticism are top notch.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I said it here in the thread, I think Bridge is the future in Saskatchewan. I can't believe that Montreal just released the guy in the off-season. He is a talent. I know it's just Hamilton, but his strong arm and athleticism are top notch.

He has looked awful throwing the ball against non-Hamilton defense s and even tonight he hasn't looked very impressive.

As a Stamps fan I hope they go with him for the future.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
He hasn't looked awful throwing the ball against non-Hamilton defense s and even tonight he hasn't looked very impressive.

As a Stamps fan I hope they go with him for the future.

Your whole post is contradictory. Not sure but I think you are saying Bridge is terrible and you hope Sask goes with him to screw over a rival.

I'm a Bomber fan, I hate Riders more than anyone else. At the same time I hated Montreal and I hate Sask but I recognize that Bridge has talent. He has a really strong arm, and runs well. At very least I think he is Michael Bishop (who wandered around as a #1 for 3-5 years), but ideally he is a solid starter ala Mike Reilly. He is young and raw but he has big upside, IMO.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Stupid autocorrect. I guess I shouldn't post from my phone. It should say he has looked awful.

Yes I am saying that as a rival of the Riders I hope they choose him as Bridge has looked bad when playing against teams that aren't the Ti-Cats and even last night he didn't look very good.

If he was from Texas instead of Toronto he likely would be out of the league already and nobody would be talking about him, but because media is so desperate for a Canadian QB he is given way more credit than he deserves.

He is terrible at making reads, he has a big arm but zero touch and looks to run any time there is a tiny bit of pressure on him.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Stupid autocorrect. I guess I shouldn't post from my phone. It should say he has looked awful.

Yes I am saying that as a rival of the Riders I hope they choose him as Bridge has looked bad when playing against teams that aren't the Ti-Cats and even last night he didn't look very good.

If he was from Texas instead of Toronto he likely would be out of the league already and nobody would be talking about him, but because media is so desperate for a Canadian QB he is given way more credit than he deserves.

He is terrible at making reads, he has a big arm but zero touch and looks to run any time there is a tiny bit of pressure on him.

I disagree obviously. I don't think CFL coaches one flying **** where a QB is from considering it buys them nothing at all in terms of ratio. Coaches are in it to win, not to pander to a CFL audience for a Canadian QB.

It pains to no end to defend a Rider but I feel I must. Bridge is a guy with lots of upside, IMO. He has a really strong arm and can move to pocket pretty well. That's a good starting for a CFL QB. He has the size, arm strength and mobility to make. It's whether he can make the reads that ultimately the upside or downfall of a CFL QB, other than the odd flash in the pan. He hasn't hit the ground running like a Casey Printers or day I say a Jonathan Jennings, but he may have more staying power as his reads appear to be much better while in the pocket. Not CFL starter calibre yet, but getting there. Remember much like American QB's he has not played the Canadian I think ever (or at least since before high school as he went US Prep School to NCAA).

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Bridge has looked alright, not sure why you're so down on him. Most CFL QBs need at least a season worth of starts before they start rounding into form. Mike Reilly was a turnover prone 4-14 in his first season as a starter.

I actually think Masoli is looking decent as well. Hamilton has a pulse with him. Last night was a setback, but against a West team so no ground lost. With no Harris in Ottawa, Montreal a mess, Ray's health always a concern in Toronto...I'll boldly predict the week 19 game between Hamilton and Ottawa will be crucial to who wins the East.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I disagree obviously. I don't think CFL coaches one flying **** where a QB is from considering it buys them nothing at all in terms of ratio. Coaches are in it to win, not to pander to a CFL audience for a Canadian QB.

I don't think coaches care which is why Montreal dumped him and he wasn't really that desired by other teams as a FA. And why he is only getting a shot with Saskatchewan with Glenn getting injured.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bridge has looked alright, not sure why you're so down on him. Most CFL QBs need at least a season worth of starts before they start rounding into form. Mike Reilly was a turnover prone 4-14 in his first season as a starter.

I actually think Masoli is looking decent as well. Hamilton has a pulse with him. Last night was a setback, but against a West team so no ground lost. With no Harris in Ottawa, Montreal a mess, Ray's health always a concern in Toronto...I'll boldly predict the week 19 game between Hamilton and Ottawa will be crucial to who wins the East.

I am down on him because he hasn't looked good in the games he has played. Just because he is young doesn't mean you can't see issues with how he plays. As I said he looks to run way too much, is inaccurate with his passes and seems to have trouble reading when the first option isn't open.

He could obviously change these flaws but I have seen nothing from him to indicate that it will.

I also think Masoli is terrible so maybe I am just not a fan of young (ish) QBs. But I am certainly happy if the Riders QB going forward is Brandon Bridge.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
LOL

Listening to Maas cry about this game should be a blast.

What a complete loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad