Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 9??

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In fairness the 2022 team was better than this team so Dermy was further down the depth chart. But also, bednar is renowned for giving short leashes to players (zadorov is an example). So clearly he sees something in MacDermid that others do not.
If MacDermid clearly saw something in MacDermid, he'd be playing him 10 minutes per night like a real 4th liner.

He gets 3-4 minutes then is stapled to the bench.

There is nothing to see. He's awful, very evidently the worst player currently in the NHL and would be a mediocre player in the AHL.

The Avs do not need him.

Reactions: missionAvs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
In fairness the 2022 team was better than this team so Dermy was further down the depth chart. But also, bednar is renowned for giving short leashes to players (zadorov is an example). So clearly he sees something in MacDermid that others do not.
That’s a bit of an exaggeration. He has never been “renowned” for giving short leashes to players. If anything he gives players a LOT of leeway. In fact, when a player or line get a goal scored on them as a result of bad play or a big mistake, he usually leaves them out there the very next shift to make up for it.

Zadorov was a very rare exception, not really an example. But also, Zadorov usually got benched when he started playing soft and lazy, which he’s prone to do from time to time.

As far as MacDermid that goes both ways. Yes he dresses him but he also only trusts him in a ridiculously sheltered role where he plays three minutes a night. That’s a third less than four average garbage-level fourth liner. So he might like the guy, he sure as hell doesn’t trust him.

He was on a very short leash.
And there was good reason for it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't agree with that at all. Other players that were also messing up didn't get their ice time slashed nearly as bad as Zads did.
It depended on the reason behind the mistake. If someone honestly screws up, Bednar usually takes it easy on him. If someone gets careless or lazy, then he might bench the guy. I remember one particularly ugly loss to the Flames, Z just let a guy push him off the puck pretty easily and they scored, Z got very quickly nailed to the bench.

And before you say anything, yes I know Rantanen is lazy and careless all the damn time, but Bednar ain’t benching his best winger.

BTW no one ever talks about how, albeit briefly, Bednar upended his entire scheme to cater to Z’s game. He basically told Z to cover ONE GUY the entire game. This actually worked against Gaudreau and McDavid, it was slightly less successful when applied to Patrick Kane (but mostly because Kane was snuck out for a late shift against Ryan Graves…sure enough he scored). But the experiment didn’t last long beyond that.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
And FTR I’m not here to say Bednar handled Zadorov perfectly. But I understand why at times he got a much shorter leash than other players.

I’m also as frustrated as everyone else when Bednar treated JT Compher as his golden boy who could do no wrong, even when he was in his year-and-a-half long rut. I also remember being absolutely shocked when he benched Tyson Jost after the latter had taken a bad penalty in a game.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
RJ is bad but holy smokes did Colton have an ugly game lol not just the obvious giveaway for their goal either. Super lazy changes, one specifically I remember gave the stars a huge rush

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
RJ is bad but holy smokes did Colton have an ugly game lol not just the obvious giveaway for their goal either. Super lazy changes, one specifically I remember gave the stars a huge rush
Colton contract is bad , I don't see the fascination with him

Nichushkin is Bednar's best winger.

Drouin is working his way into the conversation.

Because Mikko is lazy and careless all the damn time.
true Nuke is the best winger by far.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think Z had a short leash… he was given a lot of opportunities and a lot of minutes, he would just always revert back to being a complete dumb dumb.

Reactions: hawk30

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Colton contract is bad , I don't see the fascination with him
His contract is fine. That's the market value for a 3C. Hit cap percentage is pretty much identical to what Compher signed when he was our 3C. And if the cap keeps going up like it will the next two years, that contract will age very well.

His only problem is that he's playing more than he should be for a 3C. RyJo not being a real 2C is forcing Bednar to play Colton more in the 2C position.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00