The Case for Tyler Bozak: All Tyler Bozak Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Do we trade Kessel too, he is only a year younger if 28 is too old to be a core piece.

Kessel is 1.5 years younger (won't be 28 until Bozak is halfway to 30) and much more important than Bozak to this team. Kessel is the oldest forward from our current top 6 that we should keep in my opinion.

I never said 28 is too old to be a core piece either, just that he's on the older side of our core and we aren't currently winning so he's the next one in line for a trade if we don't start competing in my opinion.

HonestHockey*

Leads the team or is right near the top in takeaways year after year. I'd say he goes and gets the puck.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
It's a Leafs fans fascination of painfully developing a home grown player, and once they become a very good player, we deal them so we can watch them help other teams win.

We talkin Bozak or Kadri here? :sarcasm:

But really though, this core isn't good enough to win anything. Our top six has no true 1C and is built from the wingers in, Our defense lacks structure and has no true 1D (maybe Rielly), and we cannot ascertain whether or not we have a 1G.

I'd sell off parts that would be past the age of 30 by the time we would be ready to compete consistently namely Kessel, Dion, Bozak and Lupes.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I truly don't understand some peoples fascination with trading Bozak for a late first that might not even wind up being as good as Bozak.

Draft picks are great, I don't want to see us trading ours anytime soon, I like the idea of a UFA going for picks if we're out of the playoffs. I can't fathom how trading away a versatile center with a good cap-hit, whose locked up for the next few years is smart though.

I'm not a "we need to trade Bozak" kind of guy, but he's not the #1C we want to be on the team when we're competing, I prefer Kadri as I think he has the potential to spark a line whereas Bozak is more of a complimentary player, and I'd rather get assets than having him play on the 3rd line with his caphit.

Even though his caphit is very good for his production/play, I don't want anybody on our 4th line making 4m+. He's a good player, but I just dont see a fit long term to be 100% honest.

Besides Interactif who loves Bozak to death, does anybody want to keep him over Kadri because it boils down to that or moving one to the wing (bad idea IMO) at some point. Having him on the 3rd line is a waste IMO (capspace and for his talent level), but maybe I could open up to that down the road...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'm not a "we need to trade Bozak" kind of guy, but he's not the #1C we want to be on the team when we're competing, I prefer Kadri as I think he has the potential to spark a line whereas Bozak is more of a complimentary player, and I'd rather get assets than having him play on the 3rd line with his caphit.

Even though his caphit is very good for his production/play, I don't want anybody on our 4th line making 4m+. He's a good player, but I just dont see a fit long term to be 100% honest.

Besides Interactif who loves Bozak to death, does anybody want to keep him over Kadri because it boils down to that or moving one to the wing (bad idea IMO) at some point. Having him on the 3rd line is a waste IMO (capspace and for his talent level), but maybe I could open up to that down the road...

Eh while I'm sure it would earn me the ill will of both Kadri and Bozak fans, I think Bozak centering Kadri would actually work, I like Kadri but I think he'd be a great playmaking winger similiar to Kessel. While probably a pipe dream if we had a number one center I think those two would make a lethal second line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kessel is 1.5 years younger (won't be 28 until Bozak is halfway to 30) and much more important than Bozak to this team. Kessel is the oldest forward from our current top 6 that we should keep in my opinion.

I never said 28 is too old to be a core piece either, just that he's on the older side of our core and we aren't currently winning so he's the next one in line for a trade if we don't start competing in my opinion.

I must have misunderstood, you implied Bozak was too old to be a core player, considering Kessel was born in 87, one year before 86. I just wanted to know, would you consider trading Kessel too since they are really in the same age group. If you are going to say things like this, you need to be consistent. Otherwise it would mean the Leafs should blow this thing up, since Bozak and Kessel are our 2 best fwds right now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good to see the coaching staff and Mgt team, give the coveted "A" to Tyler with Lupul's injury.

This is a well deserved honour, one that should truly go to one of the leaders of the team.

Well done Tyler.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Breaking up with Kessel has been a blessing for both of them.

For whatever reason, both have been far better apart than they were together.

What Bozak did tonight head to head vs. Toews was flat out awesome.

Kyle Doobas*

Good to see the coaching staff and Mgt team, give the coveted "A" to Tyler with Lupul's injury.

This is a well deserved honour, one that should truly go to one of the leaders of the team.

Well done Tyler.
this-cannot-be-real.gif

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

And this is what makes Bozak all the more valuable. You can put him on any line and he'll find a way to use his linemates. He's the ideal #2C for the team going forward.

If the decision ever came to keep Bozak or Kadri for the #2C (should Nylander become the our #1C), it's not even close. Especially if Kadri's looking for a significant raise. Being able to trust your center to go out against the best players on the world and knowing that he'll be effective regardless of who his wingers are has to count for something.

Eh while I'm sure it would earn me the ill will of both Kadri and Bozak fans, I think Bozak centering Kadri would actually work, I like Kadri but I think he'd be a great playmaking winger similiar to Kessel. While probably a pipe dream if we had a number one center I think those two would make a lethal second line.

Not at all. I've actually suggested this a couple of weeks ago to try to light a fire under Kadri. I'd love to see more "playmaking" from Kadri, though.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Agreed, btw can I say that I love your avatar pick and username. Best sitcom ever. #Sixseasonsandamovie

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

I agree. Whenever Bozak plays with Kessel, all he wants to do is pass the puck to Kessel even if he has better options.

I think he's looked better and more dangerous away from him.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Tonight was a nice effort but I am not sure he can do this on a regular basis, and I doubt he will produce much offense over the long haul without Kessel. He surprised me last year so who knows. Some time away from PK might make him try to do more by himself.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011

Wasn't able to watch the game tonight. What happened?

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Last night was a perfect example of Bozak's role. Him and Clarkson make for a good third line shutdown. Two-way play, good on the dot, with a little depth offense. Also can be used heavily on the penalty kill. It's good that they moved JVR down to second line with Bozak to help him out. Next year if Nylander comes in strong, we can possibly have Kadri-Nylander-Bozak down the middle. Making for three effective lines. Things are on the rise.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I must have misunderstood, you implied Bozak was too old to be a core player, considering Kessel was born in 87, one year before 86. I just wanted to know, would you consider trading Kessel too since they are really in the same age group. If you are going to say things like this, you need to be consistent. Otherwise it would mean the Leafs should blow this thing up, since Bozak and Kessel are our 2 best fwds right now.

You're definitely in the minority with that opinion.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1717765&page=2

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1603455&page=2

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1751727

You really think Bozak is our next best forward after Kessel? Want me to go start up a JVR vs Bozak poll as well?

Btw, I've really liked Bozak this year. If he can produce offense on the second line away from Kessel I will only like him more.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes, he took the toughest assignments. But that doesn't mean he actually excelled at it.

More a matter of keeping Kessel away from Toews than giving Bozak the tougher assignment.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Some people don't look at the details.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/FC020154.HTM

The details dramatically show who received the toughest assignment.

Carlyle started Bozak against the Toews line 21 out of 23 starts.

Bozak took 13 of 27 d-zone starts. Next highest? Holland with 4.

sure Bozak lined up against Toews and took on the tough d-zone faceoff assignments. and he got murdered, he barely touched the puck.

yeah Toews is a great player and that's a good line and it's a tough ask to play against him all night. that doesn't make it true that Bozak was 'flat out awesome' vs Toews.

some people don't look at the details. the details dramatically show that the Leafs got killed on possession when Bozak was on the ice against Toews. and he survived, he got the puck out to centre and broke up some passes and did the things he usually does.

i don't even dispute that going up against Toews all night and merely surviving is an accomplishment. i'm sure he was a consummate professional in answering the call. but the play went almost exclusively one way when he was on the ice.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Some people don't look at the details.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20142015/FC020154.HTM

The details dramatically show who received the toughest assignment.

Carlyle started Bozak against the Toews line 21 out of 23 starts.

Bozak took 13 of 27 d-zone starts. Next highest? Holland with 4.

This lacks way too much context.

Toews is a fantastic possession player. Bozak is a bad possession player. Bozak was hemmed in his own zone almost all game against Toews and he was getting dominated in the match-up, all the stats show it. It reminded me a lot of last year's game against St. Louis where Bozak was schooled hard by Backes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad