The Case for Tyler Bozak: All Tyler Bozak Discussion Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
We agree on one point, our top 6 is pretty flawed when 2 way play is discussed. Where Bozak is our most complete player as it stands right now of the 5 or 6 we can consider top 6 players. This may be as dubious distinction, but it is the truth.

Which is why I find it puzzling why people are so quick to say he is not good defensively when there are 4 or 5 others worse than him.

As for board play, Bozak does not get enough credit for this, he is effective using his body to win puck battles and to shield the puck.

Again I am not making claims he is David Backes, but he is not Tim Connolly either.

I disagree that he is effective along the boards. I think he is okay. I totally agree that he's not a Tim Connolly either.

I'd describe Bozak like this:

Good skater with a ton of hockey smarts. Will take a lot of good decisions all over the ice, and therefor meshes well with pretty much any other type of player. He has the defensive awareness and work rate to engage in defensive plays, but does not always execute them successfully, especially along the boards and against physical players. Not good at carrying the puck out of his zone himself.

Offensively he is highly skilled in terms of passing and shot, utilizing intelligence more than vision. When he sees a passing opportunity, he often executes the pass perfectly. Often takes the simple, smart option though. Has a good wrist shot but not a good snap shot, if given time he can be lethal but his quick release can leave you wanting. Always at the right spot. Struggles with puck control, puck bounces off his stick a bit more than you'd like.

Has the ability to be a meshing player that fit with any style and player, adding to their game without really driving the play. He won't carry a line, but he'll always be an asset on it.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
I disagree with this completely. Bozak is terrible on the boards, I see him lose 80% of the puck battles he engages in.

That's if you can get him to engage, he's a big fan of watching from ten feet away.

I wish I could find the clip of a game v. Pittsburgh where TB was beaten to a puck by a player who was skating on his knees and who scored. Sums up his usual defensive effort, if you ask me.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
We agree on one point, our top 6 is pretty flawed when 2 way play is discussed. Where Bozak is our most complete player as it stands right now of the 5 or 6 we can consider top 6 players. This may be as dubious distinction, but it is the truth.

Which is why I find it puzzling why people are so quick to say he is not good defensively when there are 4 or 5 others worse than him.

As for board play, Bozak does not get enough credit for this, he is effective using his body to win puck battles and to shield the puck.

Again I am not making claims he is David Backes, but he is not Tim Connolly either.

Just because Bozak is better than most/all of our other top 6 players doesn't automatically make him good and free if criticism, it actually reflects poorly on our team.

Bozak is not as good on the boards as you make him out to be either.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I disagree that he is effective along the boards. I think he is okay. I totally agree that he's not a Tim Connolly either.

Good skater with a ton of hockey smarts. Will take a lot of good decisions all over the ice, and therefor meshes well with pretty much any other type of player. He has the defensive awareness and work rate to engage in defensive plays, but does not always execute them successfully, especially along the boards and against physical players. Not good at carrying the puck out of his zone himself.

Offensively he is highly skilled in terms of passing and shot, utilizing intelligence more than vision. When he sees a passing opportunity, he often executes the pass perfectly. Often takes the simple, smart option though. Has a good wrist shot but not a good snap shot, if given time he can be lethal but his quick release can leave you wanting. Always at the right spot. Struggles with puck control, puck bounces off his stick a bit more than you'd like.

Has the ability to be a meshing player that fit with any style and player, adding to their game without really driving the play. He won't carry a line, but he'll always be an asset on it.

Sums it up IMO very accurately. Good post.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
he's a found wallet that we have propped up to be the teams top C. the guy taking all the big draws and that gets (got) the lions share of the best line assignments with the teams top players.

what exactly are we really expecting here?

Oct 19, 2007
Good player. I don't really have qualms with him. I wonder what his worth is at the TD tho. Be nice to grab another 1st from a contender this year.
He is NOT worth a 1st in any man's language. I like him but he would not be a 1st on most teams. That is not his fault as people on this board want to think that it is. He is put where he is told to go. I get the impression here that people think that he should quit to allow Kadri move to that line. He will be traded in the final year of his contract at the TD that year.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good player. I don't really have qualms with him. I wonder what his worth is at the TD tho. Be nice to grab another 1st from a contender this year.

If hes anywhere above 0.7 PPG at the trade deadline then I'd want a top 15 pick for him, and thats only if we're clearly way out of it. Contender pick? Forget it.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
Most underrated player on the Leafs.

Is this a joke? People have belief that Bozak is our best two way forward when in reality it's just by default. Kessel is so bad defensively he makes Bozak look like Selke nominee. Bozak isnt much of a point producer that it's just assumed that oh since he doesn't score he must be playing defence. We would be so deep at center if we finally found that number one guy and put Bozak on the second line and Kadri on the third line.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If hes anywhere above 0.7 PPG at the trade deadline then I'd want a top 15 pick for him, and thats only if we're clearly way out of it. Contender pick? Forget it.

Tough call there, Bozak is on a good contract for what he produces, were not talking 6M+, he makes 4.2! and is ppg right now.

he'd get a 1st for sure if he keeps this pace up, but if the team is doing well you cant trade him, only if we look like we're out of it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Very nicely done. I may have to start paying closer attention to your game summaries :) (which I think it's cool you take the time to write BTW).

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011

Very well said. I'd only add that he always leaves you wishing he'd be a bit more assertive.

officialmark*

How are you guys going to say he doesn't engage in puck battles? He plays with JVR and Kessel who rather give it away then take a hit down low. He stays high so we always have someone back since no other forward will. You guys need to learn the game.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
How are you guys going to say he doesn't engage in puck battles? He plays with JVR and Kessel who rather give it away then take a hit down low. He stays high so we always have someone back since no other forward will. You guys need to learn the game.

When did anyone say that? We've all said that he does engage, just that he's not very good at it.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline

Agreed, while Bozak has been a gem of a find and he gets a lot more flak than I think he deserves, he's still one of the oldest "core" pieces. I think trading Lupul and Bozak to bubble/low playoff teams for their 1st+ are deals we should look at.

Both players are better/have more value than a lot of people think, and they bring a lot to our group, but they're the older players in our core that could be dealt for assets and hopefully replaced within (Leivo, Johnson, or Brown replace Lupul and then Nylander, Kadri, or 1st pick in 15? replace Bozak).

If we're out at the deadline, we should be looking to deal Franson, Lupul, and Boxak to the highest bidder as we can pick up 2 late 1sts, a 2nd, and some sweeteners while replacing with younger players.

Edit: I have been very happy with Bozak the last two years though, great improvement in his offensive game and he knows his role well (get the puck to Kessel or JVR). Interested to see how he does away from Kessel for an extended amount of time (for 5v5 at least).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed, while Bozak has been a gem of a find and he gets a lot more flak than I think he deserves, he's still one of the oldest "core" pieces. I think trading Lupul and Bozak to bubble/low playoff teams for their 1st+ are deals we should look at.

Both players are better/have more value than a lot of people think, and they bring a lot to our group, but they're the older players in our core that could be dealt for assets and hopefully replaced within (Leivo, Johnson, or Brown replace Lupul and then Nylander, Kadri, or 1st pick in 15? replace Bozak).

If we're out at the deadline, we should be looking to deal Franson, Lupul, and Boxak to the highest bidder as we can pick up 2 late 1sts, a 2nd, and some sweeteners while replacing with younger players.

Edit: I have been very happy with Bozak the last two years though, great improvement in his offensive game and he knows his role well (get the puck to Kessel or JVR). Interested to see how he does away from Kessel for an extended amount of time (for 5v5 at least).

Do we trade Kessel too, he is only a year younger if 28 is too old to be a core piece.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I truly don't understand some peoples fascination with trading Bozak for a late first that might not even wind up being as good as Bozak.

Draft picks are great, I don't want to see us trading ours anytime soon, I like the idea of a UFA going for picks if we're out of the playoffs. I can't fathom how trading away a versatile center with a good cap-hit, whose locked up for the next few years is smart though.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Is this a joke? People have belief that Bozak is our best two way forward when in reality it's just by default.
???
So your problem is that people accurately believe he is OUR best two way forward even though you apparently agree? Nobody is saying he's a Selke candidate or Patty Bergeron here, just that he is the best WE have.
Bozak isnt much of a point producer that it's just assumed that oh since he doesn't score he must be playing defence.
He's not? Am I missing something here? He's top 100 in the NHL in the last three years. Points don't seem to be a problem for him.
We would be so deep at center if we finally found that number one guy and put Bozak on the second line and Kadri on the third line.

I disagree. I think if even one of our top six, Bozak included, understood how breakouts actually work and that you can't just abandon the d the second they get the puck, we'd be a better team. We have five very good forwards, but five very good guys does not necessarily make a good team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I truly don't understand some peoples fascination with trading Bozak for a late first that might not even wind up being as good as Bozak.

Draft picks are great, I don't want to see us trading ours anytime soon, I like the idea of a UFA going for picks if we're out of the playoffs. I can't fathom how trading away a versatile center with a good cap-hit, whose locked up for the next few years is smart though.

It's a Leafs fans fascination of painfully developing a home grown player, and once they become a very good player, we deal them so we can watch them help other teams win.

superduperleaffan

Aug 1, 2014
Toronto, ONT.
Leafs don't miss Bozak one bit. His contract is awful. His "chemistry" with Kessel has been nonexistant since his first 30 or so NHL games. He's our third-best center being given top offensive minutes. The only thing that's improved over ~250 NHL games is his pay.

thats hillarious! do you watch the leafs, do you know he's our best faceoff man and that relects alot on possesion? did you also know that he has 10 points in 9 games?

Yeah, i know what you mean, Bozak sucks! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad