The Case For Marc Crawford

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm choosing to make this thread rather than have it buried in the Coaching thread, because I think it deserves its own discussion.

I think Marc Crawford should be the next Oilers head coach. I know people here are iffy on him, but let me break down exactly why.

First of all I don't expect him to work miracles here. He isn't going to magically turn the Oilers into a playoff team, you're asking for a religious deity if that's what you expect, not an NHL coach. However I think given the make up of the Oilers (lots of offensive minded forwards, not great D, no franchise goalie), he is a good fit. He apparently wants the Oilers job too.

He is also tremendous at developing young offensive players:

1.) West Coast Express - Lets look at his career in Vancouver firstly with two players, Todd Bertuzzi and Marcus Naslund, both 1st round picks, both given up on by their previous teams (Pitt and NYI).

naslund1.jpg

Naslund had one OK year in Pittsburgh, getting 50 points, but you have to remember he was playing with a 120+ point Mario Lemieux, so it wasn't that impressive. It isn't until he gets to Vancouver under Crawford that he explodes, having a 100 point season sandwiched by two more 82+ point seasons.

Bertuzzi also given up on by the Islanders as a 1st rounder, explodes under Crawford culminating with a 97 point season.

Another thing the Oilers should look at here ... that Canucks team had no stud no.1 center, they were built around Naslund and Bertuzzi ... remind you of any team?

2.) Super Sedin Bros. Another thing to look at when evaluating Crawford ... look at how he developed the Sedins who required considerably more patience and time (cough*Yakupov*cough). Under his coaching they do eventually break out with Henrik and Daniel hitting 70+ points in Crawford's last year as coach. They have been the foundation of the Canucks ever since, but Crawford should be given credit for doing a lot of the development.

sedins1.jpg

3.) Kopitar and Benn - Even though his tenures in LA and Dallas weren't as successful (though I suspect the people of Edmonton would throw a parade if the Oilers ever won 40+ games like the Stars did), it should be noted that he coached Kopitar and Jamie Benn in their early years. Neither was a top 10 pick, yet he got a lot out of those kids obviously, Benn being a 5th round pick(!). Dustin Brown also developed well under Crawford (infact his career high of 33 goals is under Crawford). Imagine a coach who could not only just develop the Halls/RNHs but maybe even the Landers/Yakimovs etc. that we have here. Crawford has done it before.

4.) Fire Behind The Bench - I know he's mellowed a bit, but the Oilers strike me as a team that badly need a fire brand coach. No more of this sissy Mac T/Eakins brand of hockey where you don't stand up for teammates because you want a powerplay. The Bertuzzi situation spiralled out of control, but fundamentally I think Crawford was right to not let Naslund get run without a response. We need a coach who can be an emotional leader, not just draw up the plays.

I know Todd Nelson deserves a go here, but another rookie coach here? Really? For Todd's sake he should go back to OKC after this year before his coaching career is turfed ala Eakins. We need an experienced coach back there this franchise is too fragile and young as is.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We need new management.

/thread.

Goes without saying but the coach is the one that molds the day to day identity of the team IMO.

I think it's actually a little dangerous that we've adopted this idea that when ever Lowe/Mac T go, that things will magically improve.

Not if the players that are left have no confidence left in themselves.

Last edited:

LAMF

Nov 23, 2014
Edmonton
I've been in favour of this since the offseason. At the very least he could hopefully develop some of our forwards into tradeable assets again.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Terry Murray was the man who brought Selke level qualities out of Kopitar. Crawford in my opinion is a finished product coach, if you have a strong team that's already a finished product he might be a decent choice.

Terry Murray is great at instilling defensive structure, but ultimately falls short at bringing the team over the finish line. Great coach for a young team that needs to establish structure and transition into a competitive team though. If you're willing to take a chance on a guy that might not be the coach that ultimately lifts the Cup, but does tons for your team in getting there then Terry Murray might be a solid choice for you. I think developmental leagues like AHL or juniors or NHL assistant coach is perfect for him ultimately though at least as a long-term coach, as an NHL head coach he seems more fit just to transition the team into competitiveness and build solid foundations.

I suspect that there might be better options available than either of the former Kings coaches, definitely have respect for Murray though and what he did for the franchise, he's enormously respected within the Kings organization still to this day and I think they sent him the 2012 ring as well if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
This has been said many times and I more or less agree with it.

Passionate coach. When was the last time we had one?

Coach with a history of getting results out of young kids. Have we ever had one?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agreed Liquor, the team needs new management, but Crawford is a bad choice like Keenan is, the game has passed him by. Crawford was a marginal-ish coach when he was "good" being out of the NHL for a while isn't going to help.

Richi

Oct 20, 2013
Terry Murray was the man who brought Selke level qualities out of Kopitar. Crawford in my opinion is a finished product coach, if you have a strong team that's already a finished product he might be a decent choice.

I decided to post here since Crawford is coaching my favourite team (ZSC Lions) in Switzerland right now. Anyways...

Crawford is by no means a finished product type of coach and he does really well developing young players. This year he´s had to bring in many young players because of injuries but even then other young prospects were given time and space to develop.
For example Jonas Siegenthaler and Denis Malgin (both projected to go somewhere in the 2-3 rounds in this years draft) have been brought in and were given the opportunity to stay, which they made use of.
Even with these two 17 years old on the permanent roster, other young players are called up from juniors to fill in for veteran players who are slumping and thus given some time in the press box. Yet none of the older players seem to complain so you´d have to think that Crawford explained them the situation very well.
So it´s no coincidence that last year two of the young ZSC Lions made the cut for the national team for the World Cup.

And one thing that always speaks for Crawford is his bench management and the motivation he seems to bring to any team. It´s a big part of the reason why the ZSC Lions won the Championship last year.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Interesting analysis, some things I wouldn't have considered before reading.

However, my ultimate goal is still for the Sharks to fire Todd McLellan and for us to be there when it happens.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Interesting analysis, some things I wouldn't have considered before reading.

However, my ultimate goal is still for the Sharks to fire Todd McLellan and for us to be there when it happens.

Nelson might be a good coach, how can we even tell yet?

I have no clue why MacT is on the bench, its Oiler level absurdity.

MacT can't do one job properly, now he tries 2?

Oct 15, 2008
Goes without saying but the coach is the one that molds the day to day identity of the team IMO.

I think it's actually a little dangerous that we've adopted this idea that when ever Lowe/Mac T go, that things will magically improve.

Not if the players that are left have no confidence left in themselves.

Things wont improve. It will take years. But it is the starting point. If we hire Crawford or any other coach for that matter without getting new management first, then we havent even reached the starting point yet.

These two clowns have bunged things up so bad its gonna take new management years to fix it. We are pretty much an expansion franchise at this point.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Nelson might be a good coach, how can we even tell yet?

I have no clue why MacT is on the bench, its Oiler level absurdity.

MacT can't do one job properly, now he tries 2?

MacT on the bench is pretty absurd. Just let Nelson coach.

I think Nelson would be a wonderful assistant, Colby Armstrong advocated for him a few weeks ago, but I don't really buy him as an NHL head coach, especially with zero experience which we've had enough of.

My ideal coaches for next season are:
Head coach: Todd McLellan
Assistant coach: Adam Oates
Assistant coach: Craig Ramsay
Assistant coach: Todd Nelson

There you have an awesome balance of experience and abilities to really develop our team.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Crawford for me as well.

Seems most players post career offensive years under him.

Not just WCE but Sakic, Richards, Kopitar, Cammelleri..

We need that to drum up some trade value out of guys like Eberle and Yakupov.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I dont mind Crawford but the real problems need to be addressed. How did they get Betruzzi, Nalsland etc? Oh they had actual scouts.

Crawford is a great start but management and the scouts must be purged.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Crawford for me as well.

Seems most players post career offensive years under him.

Not just WCE but Sakic, Richards, Kopitar, Cammelleri..

We need that to drum up some trade value out of guys like Eberle and Yakupov.

No, we need to get some veterans who know how to play hockey.

Trading our only 2 right wingers wouldn't be so great.

I am hoping Nelson is given a chance, many rookie AHL coaches have done just fine, experience behind the bench does not make Purcell, Ference, Nikitin etc etc any better.

We need a goalie long before trying another coach, it should have been the focus years ago, along with a top 3 dman and some legit veterans.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Your research is interesting.

At this point, another coach is absurd.

Nelson has won with this group of players.

No to another coach - the only way I'm on board with this is if the organization is gutted entirely, and a new POHO appoints one.

By gutted, that includes players who are in the "core". This core does not need another new coach. At this point, it could be Jesus and it wouldn't make a difference.

No to crow.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your research is interesting.

At this point, another coach is absurd.

Nelson has won with this group of players.

No to another coach - the only way I'm on board with this is if the organization is gutted entirely, and a new POHO appoints one.

By gutted, that includes players who are in the "core". This core does not need another new coach. At this point, it could be Jesus and it wouldn't make a difference.

No to crow.

Nelson is an interim coach, nothing more, nothing less IMO.

Hiring a third straight rookie coach full-time to coach a team this fragile would be monumentally stupid in my opinion.

Get something with some freaking experience. Nelson hasn't proven **** with developing young players either, he hasn't done that great of a job for us.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Facepalm at everyone saying Nelson deserves a shot next year. No. We need to get someone with NHL experience. Cant believe we are having this discussion all over again not even 2 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad