Rumor: The Captain returns; Shane Doan to sign with Coyotes for another season

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
This is my concern with the new guy ..

Sure he knows players inside and out . But when it comes to making hockey decisions , like protecting players, negotiating contracts who does he have to fall on for this? We need someone that knows the rule book.

Actually, O'Hearn would be the current point person for this as described in his profile on the website:
Coyotes website said:
As a member of Arizona’s hockey operations management team, O’Hearn’s responsibilities include player contract research and negotiations, scheduling, salary arbitration and salary cap management. He is also involved with fiscal and strategic planning, evaluating pro and amateur players, compliance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and administration with the NHL’s Central Registry as well as the day-to-day operations of the hockey department.
I'm guessing some of these responsibilities (in red) will be given to the new AGM and allow O'Hearn to focus more on finances and day-to-day operations.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
For whatever reason, we seemed lukewarm on bringing back Tanguay, despite his performance following the trade to Arizona. Not sure why. It's not like we can't use a veteran winger. Maybe the hope is for bigger and better things. Loui Eriksson?

It's not unusual for a player to play better than they normally do after being traded to a new team or called up before cooling off. I think that is likely the case for Tanguay; he probably can be a decent player for us next season, but I would be surprised if he played as well over a whole season as he did after being traded to us. That's why I'm not too eager to sign Tanguay unless we really need a veteran (and still have room for 2-3 rookies).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Doan was on NHL Tonight as an analyst, worth catching the replay and fast forwarding through the highlights. Wasn't half bad as the player's perspective type Analyst. Give him some training and a couple years he'd run circles around Nash as the color guy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Doan was on NHL Tonight as an analyst, worth catching the replay and fast forwarding through the highlights. Wasn't half bad as the player's perspective type Analyst. Give him some training and a couple years he'd run circles around Nash as the color guy.

All-Stars with many, many millions usually don't become commentators. It's usually journeymen. I'm not saying it can't happen. It just usually doesn't.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For whatever reason, we seemed lukewarm on bringing back Tanguay, despite his performance following the trade to Arizona. Not sure why. It's not like we can't use a veteran winger. Maybe the hope is for bigger and better things. Loui Eriksson?

Who seemed lukewarm? When?

It's not unusual for a player to play better than they normally do after being traded to a new team or called up before cooling off. I think that is likely the case for Tanguay; he probably can be a decent player for us next season, but I would be surprised if he played as well over a whole season as he did after being traded to us. That's why I'm not too eager to sign Tanguay unless we really need a veteran (and still have room for 2-3 rookies).

It was his impact on Vermette that was most important to me. They elevated each other's play. Both were playing the worst hockey of their careers until they clicked on that line. I think it's worth trying again if Tanguay will take something like 1yr at two and half to three million. Nothing longer. Nothing richer. If he's willing to do that, than I'd be happy to stick him right back on Vermette's wing and cross my fingers that we can milk one more year out of both. That's it though. I'd re-sign neither a year from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad