Rumor: The Captain returns; Shane Doan to sign with Coyotes for another season

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Shane Doan Doesn't Get An Appretiation Thread This Year

Per Gambo tweet, he's playing next season.

Can a Mod please change "appretiation" to "appreciation"? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
FYI, it's Gambo so I'm calling it a rumor for now. Seem to recall him burning us once before though it's been awhile.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
With Shane, I think Gambo is buds with his agent. So I would put this one in the bag. Also, I bet it includes an extra year or a clause that he moves into the front office or something. One of those "Special Ambassador" roles

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I mean, the complete and utter lack of fanfare at the last home game kind of alluded too this.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Good to hear that he'll most likely be rejoining the team. Although he may not do as well as last season, the team is expected to make the playoffs next season (based on the restructuring), so I can see why he's interested. Tipp has usually been pretty good at coaching a team to the playoffs, so with additional say, I can see us making it; however, I don't see us moving beyond the first round unless they make some solid moves.

With a resigning of Doan, I can see them interested in re-signing Tanguay as well (I imagine Doan suggested it would be a good idea at his lunch).

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Good to hear that he'll most likely be rejoining the team. Although he may not do as well as last season, the team is expected to make the playoffs next season (based on the restructuring), so I can see why he's interested. Tipp has usually been pretty good at coaching a team to the playoffs, so with additional say, I can see us making it; however, I don't see us moving beyond the first round unless they make some solid moves.

With a resigning of Doan, I can see them interested in re-signing Tanguay as well (I imagine Doan suggested it would be a good idea at his lunch).

Tanguay might have another year of decent hockey in him, but I would rather spend the money on players who will still be performing at a high level 3-5 years from now...when the Yotes youngsters have matured and are ready for a Cup run.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tanguay might have another year of decent hockey in him, but I would rather spend the money on players who will still be performing at a high level 3-5 years from now...when the Yotes youngsters have matured and are ready for a Cup run.

I'd rather sign a couple of cheap old guys on their last seasons of effective contribution so that we don't have to protect them in the expansion draft.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Tangs-Vermette-Vrby
Nook-Richardson-Hank
Chipchura

Assuming 1yr deals for Doan, Tangs, and Vrby, that means we have all five old guys (including Vermette and Michalek) going UFA next season. Makes the expansion draft easier to stomach and opens up a bunch of spots for kids.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That won't happen though. Chayka and Tippett want to do something drastic and put their stamp on the team. Which probably involves moving some of our best non-roster assets. Hopefully Chayka can prove to Tippett how good defensively Dvorak and MacInnis are and can effectively highlight for him that Fischer has lots of try. Otherwise I fear we are about to be stripped of our shiniest prospects by savvier GMs who have a longer view.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
For whatever reason, we seemed lukewarm on bringing back Tanguay, despite his performance following the trade to Arizona. Not sure why. It's not like we can't use a veteran winger. Maybe the hope is for bigger and better things. Loui Eriksson?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
For whatever reason, we seemed lukewarm on bringing back Tanguay, despite his performance following the trade to Arizona. Not sure why. It's not like we can't use a veteran winger. Maybe the hope is for bigger and better things. Loui Eriksson?

I agree, and think Tanguay could be back. Also, maybe Erickson, maybe Verby. We likely pick up one of the three.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I'd rather sign a couple of cheap old guys on their last seasons of effective contribution so that we don't have to protect them in the expansion draft.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Tangs-Vermette-Vrby
Nook-Richardson-Hank
Chipchura

Assuming 1yr deals for Doan, Tangs, and Vrby, that means we have all five old guys (including Vermette and Michalek) going UFA next season. Makes the expansion draft easier to stomach and opens up a bunch of spots for kids.

This is my concern with the new guy ..

Sure he knows players inside and out . But when it comes to making hockey decisions , like protecting players, negotiating contracts who does he have to fall on for this? We need someone that knows the rule book.

Example Feaster almost made one of the biggest hockey blunders in recent memory, trying to get Ryan Oreilly and was lucky Colorado accepted the offer sheet.

Feaster would have given up all of those picks , then realized Oreilly had to go through waviers first and he would have lost him. Etc....

Our gm needs to learn this stuff.

indczn

May 28, 2008
This is my concern with the new guy ..

Sure he knows players inside and out . But when it comes to making hockey decisions , like protecting players, negotiating contracts who does he have to fall on for this? We need someone that knows the rule book.

Example Feaster almost made one of the biggest hockey blunders in recent memory, trying to get Ryan Oreilly and was lucky Colorado accepted the offer sheet.

Feaster would have given up all of those picks , then realized Oreilly had to go through waviers first and he would have lost him. Etc....

Our gm needs to learn this stuff.

HF board 40? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Tanguay is an absolute necessity if we were re-sign Vrbata as some posters seem to want. Other than that I'm not so sure. A lot is going to depend on what this franchise does July 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad