Post-Game Talk: The Capitals are playing the Kings in LA this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I love OC. LA is a little goofy for my tastes. But it’s a terrific place to visit.

And as @calicapsfan can attest — Bay Area CA is really nothing like LA or even SD

SF vs LA is akin to Boston vs Miami. Just all in the same state. LOL

LA is a little goofy, and OC is too plastic, but San Diego is just right, which is why I keep moving back here anytime I end up someplace else. America's finest city, indeed. Finest county really.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If Ovechkin could please score ten goals tonight I can stop watching until the playoffs. Please and thank you.

That's if they even make the playoffs.
muahaha-gif-7.gif

Reactions: calicapsfan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
LA is a little goofy, and OC is too plastic, but San Diego is just right, which is why I keep moving back here anytime I end up someplace else. America's finest city, indeed. Finest county really.

My wife thinks OC is too plastic as well. It is very....”made up”. Even the roads and the medians are dolled up. Especially southern OC (Laguna area). But it’s so freaking pretty. I’d live there.

I honestly haven’t spent enough time in SD. Been in SF/Marin county for 25yrs. Marin is God’s country, and actually has some seasonal footprints. Plus it’s mostly a national park so very few people.

BUT....it’s a tad boring. The city is just not close enough to be a regular destination. Great for raising kids, not so great for a social scene or night life. But I’m 50 in Sept with 3 kids under 6.....so who am I kidding? What night life?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My wife thinks OC is too plastic as well. It is very....”made up”. Even the roads and the medians are dolled up. Especially southern OC (Laguna area). But it’s so freaking pretty. I’d live there.

I honestly haven’t spent enough time in SD. Been in SF/Marin county for 25yrs. Marin is God’s country, and actually has some seasonal footprints. Plus it’s mostly a national park so very few people.

BUT....it’s a tad boring. The city is just not close enough to be a regular destination. Great for raising kids, not so great for a social scene or night life. But I’m 50 in Sept with 3 kids under 6.....so who am I kidding? What night life?
My mom and stepdad live down in SD. And.i see the appeal. But East Bay is my happy place.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Simply put, if you toured SoCal and didn't find anything that appeals to you, then you weren't doing it right. World class beaches, in immediate view(2 hrs drive) of solid snow covered mountain ranges with tons of great golf in between. Some of the best cuisine concentrated in any one of a hundred different neighborhoods, and In n Out is hardly representative of any of it. A drive up PCH/101 from San Diego to NorCal is one of the most spectacular drives for scenery on the entire planet, let alone the USA, but I will admit along LA it's not much.

Serious question, besides the two arena's, which are in nothing special areas, where did you tour?
I was in San Diego, LA, Anaheim and Encinitas for a week. The beaches were nice but I just don't get the hype. Not liking SoCal is the same as telling New Yorkers you don't like NYC. You have beaches, great. Utah and Colorado are way better than Big Bear or whatever else you have. I've been riding since i was 16 (I'm 39) and have been all over the world to mountains. I don't surf. Sorry, not impressed..

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well if I had to pick a place to retire, it would be Napa Valley actually, thats my plan. To win the lottery and then retire there with all the other new money :)

And I get that 50 with kids thing, mine is almost 4. So yeah, I'm not looking to walk home from the bars anymore. More like "Oh, there's a nice park at the end of the street and the neighbors seem nice."

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I was in San Diego, LA, Anaheim and Encinitas for a week. The beaches were nice but I just don't get the hype. Not liking SoCal is the same as telling New Yorkers you don't like NYC. You have beaches, great. Utah and Colorado are way better than Big Bear or whatever else you have. I've been riding since i was 16 (I'm 39) and have been all over the world to mountains. I don't surf. Sorry, not impressed..

Its Ok that its not your thing. And of course there's better skiing elsewhere, but not much that is also within 2 hours of the ocean.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
One still has to try Saint-Petersburg before assuming any place the better county!

Also, NY sucks imho :P

DC with surroundings is actually kinda nice.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

The dramatic way the water meets the cliffs/hills is amazing down south. We get it up here too.....all up and down the coasts.

And I LOVE Italy — and California is as close to it as we get in this country. Wine country, hills and valleys, mountains (Tahoe puts Big Bear to shame), etc etc.

But that’s just me.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
San Diego is America's most underrated city. I lived there for five years and cried when I moved back east. The weather and people are beautiful and each neighborhood has an awesome feel. I was partial to Ocean Beach myself but there's something for everyone there. OC is meh and LA is probably the city I like the least in the US. It's a dreadful place that I hate going to, though I do love Santa Monica. I travel a fair amount for work to San Francisco and love the Bay Area as well though I don't think I could ever live there.

Traffic in California puts traffic in DC to shame.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
In & Out > 5 guys for many reasons.

Bay Area has always felt like an angry hippie version NYC and I dig it, and they have Burma Superstar. But I might prefer Santa Cruz for the surf. SD is too dry and full of jarheads for me.

Traffic in LA always competes with DC as being the worst. However, at least LA drivers typically use turn signals and don’t drive slow in the passing lane.

Anyway, Caps, please don’t make this board too unbearable tonight.

Reactions: kicksavedave

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Simply put, if you toured SoCal and didn't find anything that appeals to you, then you weren't doing it right. World class beaches, in immediate view(2 hrs drive) of solid snow covered mountain ranges with tons of great golf in between. Some of the best cuisine concentrated in any one of a hundred different neighborhoods, and In n Out is hardly representative of any of it. A drive up PCH/101 from San Diego to NorCal is one of the most spectacular drives for scenery on the entire planet, let alone the USA, but I will admit along LA it's not much.

Serious question, besides the two arena's, which are in nothing special areas, where did you tour?
was trying to be cool. it's an overrated shithole with beaches.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I did a "Caps tour" 4 years ago and hit a Kings and Ducks game when I was in SoCal visiting a friend.. I do not get the appeal of that state. It's a desert with worse traffic than DC. In and Out is overrated too.
I was so pumped to try in and out when I went west...super disappointed. That said just f***ing win baby. Go caps!

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Its Ok that its not your thing. And of course there's better skiing elsewhere, but not much that is also within 2 hours of the ocean.
was trying to be cool. it's an overrated ****hole with beaches.

Well I retract this statement, your opinion is stupid. Have a nice time in Alexandria, which is a shithole without beaches. And I've live in NoVa so I know this for a fact.

Reactions: StrikingDistance
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad