The Canadian Division

Who will win the Canadian Division?

• Total voters

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Meh. They won 24 out of 56 games in the regular season. They were the 16th ranked team to make the playoffs.

They're proving to be one hell of a resilient team bit I also think this is clearly a one hit wonder for them.

Carey Price is essentially the #1 reason they are where they are and he gave zero indication of having this in him after the regular season.

That said, I'm glad they beat Vegas and it would be something to see them win the cup. It would give a lot of teams confidence they can win it all after seeing such a bad Habs team go on a run.

Edit: Including this playoff run, Montreal has still lost more games then they have won this year. 36 wins to 37 losses :laugh:

Still a really bad team…

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Meh. They won 24 out of 56 games in the regular season. They were the 16th ranked team to make the playoffs.

They're proving to be one hell of a resilient team bit I also think this is clearly a one hit wonder for them.

Carey Price is essentially the #1 reason they are where they are and he gave zero indication of having this in him after the regular season.

That said, I'm glad they beat Vegas and it would be something to see them win the cup. It would give a lot of teams confidence they can win it all after seeing such a bad Habs team go on a run.

Edit: Including this playoff run, Montreal has still lost more games then they have won this year. 36 wins to 37 losses :laugh:

Wow.

I was kind of expecting a sort of admission you were wrong and to laugh it off. I definitely didn't expect you to double down.

You clearly haven't watched them play in these playoffs if you think where they all now is all about Price. I'd say their big 4 defense and forward depth have been at least as important as Price for their current run.

It was a team built for the playoffs. It's not like this is a fluke - this was exactly the plan from the start of the season. It was going to take time to figure out everyone's role on the team, and Price has always been a player who plays his best when the games get big. Only people like you look at his regular season stats and assume he's going to play the same way in the playoffs.

I can see writing them off as a fluke after the Toronto series. I can somewhat see it after the Jets series, although that's a bit harder considering it was a sweep. But to beat Vegas in 6. I don't see how anyone can continue denying that this team is much better than anyone gave them credit for.

I fully expect them to be not the best team in the league next regular season, but if they make the playoffs - watch out!

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Wow.

I was kind of expecting a sort of admission you were wrong and to laugh it off. I definitely didn't expect you to double down.

You clearly haven't watched them play in these playoffs if you think where they all now is all about Price. I'd say their big 4 defense and forward depth have been at least as important as Price for their current run.

It was a team built for the playoffs. It's not like this is a fluke - this was exactly the plan from the start of the season. It was going to take time to figure out everyone's role on the team, and Price has always been a player who plays his best when the games get big. Only people like you look at his regular season stats and assume he's going to play the same way in the playoffs.

I can see writing them off as a fluke after the Toronto series. I can somewhat see it after the Jets series, although that's a bit harder considering it was a sweep. But to beat Vegas in 6. I don't see how anyone can continue denying that this team is much better than anyone gave them credit for.

I fully expect them to be not the best team in the league next regular season, but if they make the playoffs - watch out!

The playoffs are a complete wild card. It's why we've seen #8 seeds win the cup potentially 3 times now in the last decade.

Once you get in anything is possible. Habs are proving that yet again.

The funniest thing is if they were in any other division but the North, they don't even make the playoffs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The playoffs are a complete wild card. It's why we've seen #8 seeds win the cup potentially 3 times now in the last decade.

Once you get in anything is possible. Habs are proving that yet again.

The funniest thing is if they were in any other division but the North, they don't even make the playoffs.

:laugh:

I wasn't aware the playoffs were so meaningless. I guess everyone should ignore anything you have to say based on how the Avs performed in these playoffs. It's a complete wild card, right?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
:laugh:

I wasn't aware the playoffs were so meaningless. I guess everyone should ignore anything you have to say based on how the Avs performed in these playoffs. It's a complete wild card, right?

How on Earth did I say anything remotely close to calling the playoffs meaningless.

I tink you're on the wrong forum mate. Go drink the Habs kool-aid with your Habs fans on there forums.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
How on Earth did I say anything remotely close to calling the playoffs meaningless.

I tink you're on the wrong forum mate. Go drink the Habs kool-aid with your Habs fans on there forums.

Your entire argument hinges on the idea that we can discount the Habs current performance because the playoffs are "a complete wild card". Either the playoffs matter or they don't. If they don't matter then sure, Montreal isn't a very good team. If they do, they just legitimately beat an extremely good team in Vegas, which is pretty strong evidence that they are also a very good team.

As for which forum I'm on, I'm posting in a thread I specifically made to talk about the Canadian teams. Maybe it's you who is in the wrong place ;)

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You have some serious issues with Montreal….

I dont have issues with them at all :laugh:

Just pointing out the obvious. They lost more games then they won. That statement can't be anymore understated.

They're playing great in the playoffs and they are getting some very fortunate puck luck.

You have to be lucky to win the cup. That is fact. You also have to play well and Montreal is. But it takes a lot of good luck to win as well. Simple as that.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I dont have issues with them at all :laugh:

Just pointing out the obvious. They lost more games then they won. That statement can't be anymore understated.

They're playing great in the playoffs and they are getting some very fortunate puck luck.

You have to be lucky to win the cup. That is fact. You also have to play well and Montreal is. But it takes a lot of good luck to win as well. Simple as that.
I'd be interested to see how you go about proving that fact.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be interested to see how you go about proving that fact.

Literally just follow any Stanley Cup winning team, follow the road they went through.

Every single one of them will have had fortunate bounces along the way. It's the biggest reason why the Stanley Cup is considered to be the hardest trophy to win in sports. Not only do you have to be at least a good enough team to make the playoffs, but then once you get into the playoffs you have to continue to elevate your game on top of getting the favorable bounces for 4 straight series.

If luck wasn't a huge factor, it would be like the NBA where you basically see the same superstar teams and players winning every year.

But because of the parity in the NHL, because of the Salary cap being what it is, it makes the margin between teams significantly smaller. Even more so for the teams that make the playoffs. Hence in order to win a series you have to get favorable bounces that go your way. In order to win the cup, that needs to happen 4 times in a row.

I mean take this Montreal team right now for example. Against Vegas alone, they won 2 games in OT. One of which they won off a Fleury mistake that he probably makes maybe 5 times out of 100 plays behind the net. But that bounce went the Habs way, got them into OT in a game they didn't really deserve to get to OT, and then they cleaned the game up in OT.

Or take the Toronto/Montreal series. They go down 3-1 and have to peel off 3 straight games against a top tier team to win. Including having to win 2 of those 3 games in OT. Especially in OT in the playoffs it can literally take one play in either direction to win those games. It takes fortunate puck luck to win. Whether the team deserved to win or not.

I mean, the Habs are 5-0 in Overtime in the playoffs this year. That's as fortunate and as lucky as it gets this time of year.

And my point isn't just that the Habs are getting lucky. Every team that wins the cup ever gets lucky to do so. That doesn't mean really great teams haven't also won the cup, as the saying goes "You have to be luck to be good" and it's 100% accurate in hockey. If you're not getting the puck luck in the playoffs you wont win simple as that.

But anyways, credit to the Habs is absolutely deserved. They've stepped up in the playoffs and played very solid structured hockey. They're getting timely contributions all throughout the lineup and Bergevin deserves a lot of credit for the trade deadline acquisitions he made. They are paying off in spades where Colorado's deadline adds certainly did not. And Carey Price has turned the clock back 10 years. And most importantly above all else, even if the statistics suggest they shouldn't be playing hockey right now, they are. Because they all believe in themselves and they are all playing for each other on the ice. Every single guy in that dressing room is fully committed to the plan and that is a huge factor this time of year.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Literally just follow any Stanley Cup winning team, follow the road they went through.

Every single one of them will have had fortunate bounces along the way. It's the biggest reason why the Stanley Cup is considered to be the hardest trophy to win in sports. Not only do you have to be at least a good enough team to make the playoffs, but then once you get into the playoffs you have to continue to elevate your game on top of getting the favorable bounces for 4 straight series.

If luck wasn't a huge factor, it would be like the NBA where you basically see the same superstar teams and players winning every year.

But because of the parity in the NHL, because of the Salary cap being what it is, it makes the margin between teams significantly smaller. Even more so for the teams that make the playoffs. Hence in order to win a series you have to get favorable bounces that go your way. In order to win the cup, that needs to happen 4 times in a row.

I mean take this Montreal team right now for example. Against Vegas alone, they won 2 games in OT. One of which they won off a Fleury mistake that he probably makes maybe 5 times out of 100 plays behind the net. But that bounce went the Habs way, got them into OT in a game they didn't really deserve to get to OT, and then they cleaned the game up in OT.

Or take the Toronto/Montreal series. They go down 3-1 and have to peel off 3 straight games against a top tier team to win. Including having to win 2 of those 3 games in OT. Especially in OT in the playoffs it can literally take one play in either direction to win those games. It takes fortunate puck luck to win. Whether the team deserved to win or not.

I mean, the Habs are 5-0 in Overtime in the playoffs this year. That's as fortunate and as lucky as it gets this time of year.

And my point isn't just that the Habs are getting lucky. Every team that wins the cup ever gets lucky to do so. That doesn't mean really great teams haven't also won the cup, as the saying goes "You have to be luck to be good" and it's 100% accurate in hockey. If you're not getting the puck luck in the playoffs you wont win simple as that.

But anyways, credit to the Habs is absolutely deserved. They've stepped up in the playoffs and played very solid structured hockey. They're getting timely contributions all throughout the lineup and Bergevin deserves a lot of credit for the trade deadline acquisitions he made. They are paying off in spades where Colorado's deadline adds certainly did not. And Carey Price has turned the clock back 10 years. And most importantly above all else, even if the statistics suggest they shouldn't be playing hockey right now, they are. Because they all believe in themselves and they are all playing for each other on the ice. Every single guy in that dressing room is fully committed to the plan and that is a huge factor this time of year.
Good fortune happens to many teams that do and don't win the Cup though. The Avs were very fortunate to win game 2 against Vegas after being outplayed for 2/3 of it. I don't see the Avs making a deep run for the cup this year.

Good luck trying to prove that teams that win the cup have a higher percent of luck than teams that don't win the cup. It might be your opinion that this is true, but that doesn't make it a fact. You spout things off and state they are facts when they really aren't facts; they are just opinions.

Were the Avs fortunate in 2001 that Forsberg had to have his spleen removed and missed the last two rounds? Did that stroke of luck propel them to win the cup? I'd argue that was actually very unfortunate. The Avs talent and determination had a lot more to do with them winning the cup than luck did.

Which superstar NBA team that always wins the title is winning it again this year? Atlanta? Milwaukee? LA Clippers? Or Phoenix?

Last edited:

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Yeah that's my point. Literally every team that wins the Cup has luck go their way at some point?
Right, and many teams that don't win the cup have luck go their way as well. Any many teams that win the cup also have bad luck occur and they have to overcome it. Luck isn't the overwhelming reason teams win the cup. A combination of talent, hard work, and determination are far more likely to be the common thread for teams that win the cup. Does luck also happen? Sure, but it happens to many teams that do and don't win the cup.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Right, and many teams that don't win the cup have luck go their way as well. Any many teams that win the cup also have bad luck occur and they have to overcome it. Luck isn't the overwhelming reason teams win the cup. A combination of talent, hard work, and determination are far more likely to be the common thread for teams that win the cup. Does luck also happen? Sure, but it happens to many teams that do and don't win the cup.
Wait... no one is saying that luck is the majority reason that teams win the Cup? But every team that wins will have luck going their way.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Which superstar NBA team that always wins the title is winning it again this year? Atlanta? Milwaukee? LA Clippers? Or Phoenix?

Ignoring the rest of your post because I think your are just purposely acting obtuse honestly.

This is literally the first NBA finals since 2010!!! that wont feature at least one of LeBron James and whatever super team he is on, or the Golden State Warriors Super team.

Which also happens to be basically the first year LeBron has really had to deal with a major injury.

So good job not proving your point?

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Ignoring the rest of your post because I think your are just purposely acting obtuse honestly.

This is literally the first NBA finals since 2010!!! that wont feature at least one of LeBron James and whatever super team he is on, or the Golden State Warriors Super team.

Which also happens to be basically the first year LeBron has really had to deal with a major injury.

So good job not proving your point?
You are the one that said: "...see the same superstar teams and players winning every year.". Clearly it isn't "every" year is it?

So, good job putting your foot in your mouth again and acting like it a fact when it isn't.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I like where this thread is heading

giphy.gif

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
Oh and by the way... How is Milwaukee not a superstar team? They literally have the best player in basketball right now :laugh:
Here we go again. You're opinion is not fact just because you say literally or because you say fact.

The best basketball player right now, as voted on by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters throughout the United States and Canada, is actually Nikola Jokic. In fact, if you actually look at the voting, Nikola Jokic ran away with the NBA MVP award, with Joel Embiid second and Stephen Curry third in the voting.

So, you're opinion might be that Milwaukee has the best player in the NBA right now but the NBA and the voting members would disagree with you.

The last time Milwaukee won an NBA title was 1971. So that would be 50 years ago; literally!

You should probably stick to hockey; you don't seem to know much about basketball.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Luck plays a bigger role in some sports than others — how come?

Only the MLB has more luck involved in winning in the playoffs. You wanted evidence here you go. An actual study conducted to determine how much of a factor luck plays in all sports.

You would literally have to play a best of 51 series in the NHL for the better team to confidently win the series. The MLB would have to play a best of 76 Game series to confidently have the right winner. Basketball on the other hand takes just 7 games to confidently have the best team win.

I cant believe I even got into this argument earlier today. Yikes what a ridiculous take.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Luck plays a bigger role in some sports than others — how come?

Only the MLB has more luck involved in winning in the playoffs. You wanted evidence here you go. An actual study conducted to determine how much of a factor luck plays in all sports.

You would literally have to play a best of 51 series in the NHL for the better team to confidently win the series. The MLB would have to play a best of 76 Game series to confidently have the right winner. Basketball on the other hand takes just 7 games to confidently have the best team win.

I cant believe I even got into this argument earlier today. Yikes what a ridiculous take.
Luck factors every championship in every sport. Whether it's based on upsets from teams outside your control, injuries for or against, posts, flukey goals misses, etc. every team will get luck going their way. It isn't the main reason a team wins but you'll need some luck to win a Stanley Cup, NBA championship, Super Bowl, World Cup, Champions League, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad