The Calm Down Thread

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Some things never change. Can't have optimism unless the team is performing well. the team always has a bad stretch in November and will get some guys healthy again and it will turn around. When this team goes on a winning streak the same people bashing them now will be shouting playoffs. The Islanders are an emotional roller coaster for some people. Now here's to hoping they turn it around soon!

fishstick

Mar 4, 2013
Europe
Funny how this thread should be about optimism and people come here to complain :sarcasm:

I'm as disappointed as everyone else, but still hope they'll work this out as soon as some of the injured players come back. That Boston game they looked so good in can't just be a fluke.:help:
Wouldn't mind to see Cappy gone though.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
We need to get at least one of Vis or Strait back. The D wasn't great before but it's AHL level right now. Strait would at least shore up the leaky PK.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
While the defense is indeed limited in that most of the dmen are playing far more minutes than they should.... I am actually an AMAC fan, and know that our record over the past few years is much better with him in the lineup, he is also not a top pairing dman, he is a 3/4/5.

Ask yourselves this question, do you see Capuano getting this team to a Cup? And the reality is that he will never coach this team to a cup, meaning that you have to fire him at some point. You cannot fire him if he gets this team to the playoffs again and we lose in the first round, then you have the McClellan syndrome in San Jose, where he does enough to never get fired but San Jose will never win a cup with him as coach.

So, with the team struggling, I look at is a minor blessing in that, this is the time get rid of Capuano because he is not the long time answer. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Los Angeles pulled the triggers on their transitional coaches and at some point brought in the coach with the right resume. All four of the aforementioned teams brought in guys that never won a cup but were close to it.

Therefore my list of coaches is simply Ron Wilson or Jacques Martin. These guys have been close and are hungry. I like Laviolette a lot, but wrong fit for the team. Weight and Thompson are not ready to coach a team.

Team will actually play better when Viz and Strait return, I would call up CDH, at some point we have to see him on the ice

Viz/CDH
Hamonic/AMAC
Hickey/Strait

With a new coach and that defensive setup, we will make the playoffs, we do not want to make the playoffs again with Capuano as that means he will be back another year, he is not an NHL coach.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
While the defense is indeed limited in that most of the dmen are playing far more minutes than they should.... I am actually an AMAC fan, and know that our record over the past few years is much better with him in the lineup, he is also not a top pairing dman, he is a 3/4/5.

Ask yourselves this question, do you see Capuano getting this team to a Cup? And the reality is that he will never coach this team to a cup, meaning that you have to fire him at some point. You cannot fire him if he gets this team to the playoffs again and we lose in the first round, then you have the McClellan syndrome in San Jose, where he does enough to never get fired but San Jose will never win a cup with him as coach.

So, with the team struggling, I look at is a minor blessing in that, this is the time get rid of Capuano because he is not the long time answer. Teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Los Angeles pulled the triggers on their transitional coaches and at some point brought in the coach with the right resume. All four of the aforementioned teams brought in guys that never won a cup but were close to it.

Therefore my list of coaches is simply Ron Wilson or Jacques Martin. These guys have been close and are hungry. I like Laviolette a lot, but wrong fit for the team. Weight and Thompson are not ready to coach a team.

Team will actually play better when Viz and Strait return, I would call up CDH, at some point we have to see him on the ice

Viz/CDH
Hamonic/AMAC
Hickey/Strait

With a new coach and that defensive setup, we will make the playoffs, we do not want to make the playoffs again with Capuano as that means he will be back another year, he is not an NHL coach.

SJ has never won a cup with ANY coach. Mclellan is not SJ's problem. If he was fired, he be scooped up rather quickly by a very wise team.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
SJ has never won a cup with ANY coach. Mclellan is not SJ's problem. If he was fired, he be scooped up rather quickly by a very wise team.

according to some, you can be judged solely on your success rate. if that is the case, then, Mclellan = failure. fire him into the dumpster with Snow...

oh, maybe double standards exist here? hmmmm.....

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This isn't overreacting, I think you're missing the point. Myself (and a few others) said in the offseason/preseaon that this team will NOT make the playoffs. They are NOT that good. Prospects don't mean anything if they never achieve their "potential".

You know what else is worrisome? We lost to (literally) 3 of the 5 worst teams in the LEAGUE so far.

Columbus (twice), Philly, Buffalo (we haven't played the other 2 in the bottom 5).

Our team isn't that good. Saying that doesn't make me a "chicken little"-it makes me realistic. Addressing scoring (the least of our problems) is NOT going to help. Bringing in a legit starting goaltending, a FEW more defensemen (not just 1) is what it's going to take.

We're currently in LAST PLACE in penalty killing, after SIX years of a rebuild? I think that merits some eyebrows to be raised and fingers to be pointed.
That is about all we are going to see.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I still am optimistic that they will turn it around, missing a few key guys just have to weather the storm. LETS GO ISLANDERS

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I still am optimistic that they will turn it around, missing a few key guys just have to weather the storm. LETS GO ISLANDERS

Every team goes through injuries throughout a season. The good (and deep) teams prosper-the weaker and thinner teams don't.

Look at it this way: if losing ONE defensemen makes the team have the 30th PK in the league-were they really any good in the first place? I'd wager no.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

My point is that San Jose has not finished poorly or had a poor run where they can fire McClellan and bring in the man who will get them to the cup, arguably over the past 6 years, San Jose has been the best team in Hockey, they probably have more points than everyone, yet they can't get over the hump to even win the Western Conference, because they have a subpar coach.

Isles have golden opportunity to get rid of Capuano now while the chips are down, LA did it with Andy Murray, Chicago did it with Quenneville's predecessor.... Capuano has as much change of carrying the Islanders to the Stanley Cup as that smelly fan called Goldy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad