The Calm Down Thread

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
It's been 4 games.

Isles are 6-9-3 for 15 points in 18 games

Last year:

Isles were 8-9-1 for 17 points in 18 games. Including a stretch where they lost 5 in a row and 7 of 9.

That is a difference of only 2 points!

I hate seeing comments like "I'm done" or "This team blows." Yeah it looks bad right now, but it always looks bad when you are losing a few in a row. It happens to every team and it seems to always happen to the Isles in November. After that they go on this tear and everyone will say "With the way the Isles are playing, we can beat any team."

I'm upset with the teams performance lately, but I know they will bounce back and I'm not ready to jump ship and this is a thread for people to be optimistic. The Isles will turn it around because this is the same group of guys from last year and they know they have it inside of them.

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
It's been 4 games.

Last year:

Isles were 8-9-1 for 17 points in 18 games. Including a stretch where they lost 5 in a row and 7 of 9.

I hate seeing comments like "I'm done" or "This team blows." Yeah it looks bad right now, but it always looks bad when you are losing a few in a row. It happens to every team and it seems to always happen to the Isles in November. After that they go on this tear and everyone will say "With the way the Isles are playing, we can beat any team."

I'm upset with the teams performance lately, but I know they will bounce back and I'm not ready to jump ship and this is a thread for people to be optimistic. The Isles will turn it around because this is the same group of guys from last year and they know they have it inside of them.

I'm glad you have faith in this team but I disagree with your optimism. The coach lost his team, when that happens it's all over.

Having guys like Amac wearing an A on their chest is a joke. Amac and our D needs a complete gutting in the exception of Hammer. I want them to start winning but I think we can't afford another Capuano tail spin yet again..

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I'm glad you have faith in this team but I disagree with your optimism. The coach lost his team, when that happens it's all over.

Having guys like Amac wearing an A on their chest is a joke. Amac and our D needs a complete gutting in the exception of Hammer. I want them to start winning but I think we can't afford another Capuano tail spin yet again..

Agreed. This team was rolling and playing good hockey against Ottawa and Boston and good first Period in Washington. Then the Capitals came out and blitzed the Isles and punched them square on the chin. The team is still lying on the canvass 4 games later, unresponsive. They need to get wheeled off to ICU because they aren't getting up.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
It's been 4 games.

Last year:

I agree.

Not sure if the problem is the coaching, the injury losses (Vish/Strait) or a factor of both. But regardless, its early in the season, and they can still right the ship and I feel they will do so.

lacunacoil777

Feb 11, 2013
Watching you guys panic and stress out reminds me of watching the 1994 Islanders miss the playoffs after winning two playoff rounds despite needing a strong final 8 games just to make the playoffs. Then the next season starts, and they are losing quite often, when I thought we had moved on to upper class status. They barely made the playoffs and got wiped by the rangers in four games I think it was. Its not easy putting together a constently strong team, and to look at these defensemen, and to think that they were going to be enough to make the Isles a top 5 team in the NHL was delusional. Injuries happen to all teams, the great teams get better with injuries the way the penguins win more when Crosby and Malkin go down then with them. If the purpose of the season is to win a stanly cup, garth needs to move bodies and move them fast for some good defensemen. It doesn't matter who but some forwards have to go. If it takes Matt Martin, Okiposo, bailey, Neilson, if it takes two of them to get a #2 defensemen you have to do it because even a 100% healthy Islander team will lose in the first round with these defensemen.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I told myself going into the season that there would be growing pains this year and to keep the faith if they have a disappointing season. I still think there is talent on the team and in the system and that there will be winning seasons ahead. If that makes me a Snow apologist, then so be it.

Losing Visnovsky and Strait are killers. I mean, Visnovsky is a much better player than Strait, but when you're already thin on defense then losing a mediocre player like Strait hurts a lot. And losing Vanek and Clutterbuck compounds the problem when the only way this team can win is to score a lot of goals and hold your breath on defense.

To my untrained eye, Hamonic could develop into a legitimate shutdown defenseman, but pairing him with MacDonald is doing him no favors. MacDonald is a 3-6 guy, but there aren't any options. Visnovsky and Hickey make a great pairing, but Visnovsky is out and Hickey would probably struggle like MacDonald in a shutdown role. The lack of depth has everybody on defense playing at least one role above where they should be.

However, being forced into difficult roles doesn't excuse bad positioning and laziness. I'm tired of seeing players, particularly defenseman, being caught out of position and being outworked. I think coaching deserves a lot of the blame for that, but where are we going to find an upgrade at this point?

I'm just rambling to express my frustration. I do believe there's talent on this team, but fatal flaws are preventing them from winning, which is making this stretch that much more frustrating.

DeanCrandall

Jan 29, 2013
Mmmmmm Thirsty.

THREE regulation wins out of 18 doesnt spell OK to me.

Last edited:

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
Mmmmmm Thirsty.

THREE regulation wins out of 18 doesnt spell OK to me.

15 points out of 36 isn't horrible. Its still early, the ship can be righted.

chicken_little.jpg

LOL

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This is still a very flawed team. Anyone who thought the playoffs were a lock with this squad was kidding themselves.

I expect them to be in the race come March but they are what they are - a mediocre team.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It just annoys me that Reinhart is without a doubt a better defender than Ness, Donovan, Martinek and probably even AMac with the way he's played this season.

We need DEFENDERS in the worst way. Who cares if we burn off a year and he only plays ~30 games. The best players should play.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Op must be my ticket rep.

A short list of things to induce shallow breathing:

Major injuries coupled with lack of depth (Vanek and Viz)

Minor injuries coupled with major injuries (Strait and Clutterbuck)

Typical off-season fail (PMB)

Net defective (Nabby's save percentage right there with Dubnyk's)

Bumbling idiots in charge ( we've got that in spades)

2010-12 draft picks in the top 5 but none playing with the big club.

Gaping holes at RW, 1st pairing D.

Yes. By all means calm down.

LotteryForLife*

It's been 4 games.

Last year:

This is not about four games. This team is bad. We've played 18 games against as weak a schedule as you will ever have, and we have 4 real actual wins. This team is lost. Poorly coached. Actually regressing with every game. They can't protect leads. Have no offensive pressure from their point men. Have the worst PK I have ever seen. There are maybe 2 guys on this team willing to get in front of the net. Andrew MacDonald is a garbage can on skates. I don't get why you people think he's good. And our second best player is in the AHL riding buses wondering why he was the unlucky soul who was drafted by the Islanders.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I had a feeling we were going to have a rough season.
We did not need TV. We needed A GOALTENDER and D. Our Scoring sadly was the area that needed the least amount of work.

Garth needs to find a way to improve the weaker points of this team.
Trading MM for VANEK is not a bad move. However guys like MM could have been used as a piece to get Much Needed D or a Goalie.
Granted we lose MM and don't get Vanek they we lose on goals.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I was called a "chicken little" and "crazy", and told I didn't know anything about hockey when I said about 1-2 seasons ago that Andrew Mac wasn't a top-4 D....am I still a chicken little now, or were people at the time just drinking the koolaid?

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I was called a "chicken little" and "crazy", and told I didn't know anything about hockey when I said about 1-2 seasons ago that Andrew Mac wasn't a top-4 D....am I still a chicken little now, or were people at the time just drinking the koolaid?

I was openly mocked for voicing the same opinion as well as stating Moulson was a poor 5 on 5 player. No solace in being right.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Pretty much. No Vis = no playoffs because our defense was already at the bare minimum to compete in the league. Now with Hammer maybe losing games, Strait out, and Donovan being a struggling rookie defenseman... the well meaning optimism is satirical.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
Being 12th place in the conference IS horrible. You can call some a chicken little all you want-but you have your head in the clouds. Tell me this: what has this team ACCOMPLISHED under Snow?

Just as easily as we fell from 6th (?) to 12th, we can go back up again this early in the season. Call me concerned if we are in 12th place come December.

Why do I have my head in the clouds-just because I'm not panicking? I'd hate to see what you'd say if I expressed any optimism for this team, instead of just trying to be level-headed. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad