The Butt Check, a Brent Burns special

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think it has mostly to do with his size. If he checks like a normal person, it'll most likely be a high hit. Butt first means clean lower hits.

Exactly. He will lay a regular body check on guys in or around his height. If he hit Mike Richards normally at his rate of speed and size..Mike would look like a popped tube of colgate tooth paste.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Exactly. He will lay a regular body check on guys in or around his height. If he hit Mike Richards normally at his rate of speed and size..Mike would look like a popped tube of colgate tooth paste.

I'm really warming up to the style. Wanna see him really catch someone.

NWShark*

i play in a non-contact ice league. obviously there is contact. and i have actually done this maneuver.

1. it makes it look more innocent (trying to avoid)
2. but it also moves the player away from the puck and puts you in the right direction to skate away/shield from defender.

havent got called yet haha.

I once slammed into one of the zamboni doors ass first like that and shattered the glass above. All the glass fell down the back of my hockey pants... Had to drop em on to get it all cleaned out.

Ass checking someone like that is kinda like playing croquet how you displace the guy with the puck... :D

cholewhat

Aug 22, 2011
California
I tweeted him re #ButtCheck, which means he more than likely will skip it and not respond... But I'll await a response.

#ButtCheck

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Seeing the clips of Marleau shows that he doesn't hit often, but when he does, he hits like a truck and hits 100% legal.

wish he would do it more, but that's not who he is.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Seeing the clips of Marleau shows that he doesn't hit often, but when he does, he hits like a truck and hits 100% legal.

He's really ramped up his physical play this season and has crossed the line a bit more than he has in the past. He was on pace for his most PIM's in a season ever, which I believe is a result of his attempting to play the body more and "cheat" a bit more in the offensive zone (interference, hooks, etc).

While his total hits were on-pace for a career low, my eyeball test has disagreed with that statistic. He's played the body more this season IMO, and it's improved his game and helped him create more opportunities for his linemates without necessarily touching the puck. This part of his game is going in the right direction, not that it'll ever be at Cal Clutterbuck levels.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
He's really ramped up his physical play this season and has crossed the line a bit more than he has in the past. He was on pace for his most PIM's in a season ever, which I believe is a result of his attempting to play the body more and "cheat" a bit more in the offensive zone (interference, hooks, etc).

While his total hits were on-pace for a career low, my eyeball test has disagreed with that statistic. He's played the body more this season IMO, and it's improved his game and helped him create more opportunities for his linemates without necessarily touching the puck. This part of his game is going in the right direction, not that it'll ever be at Cal Clutterbuck levels.

partially due to his F1 role this season. he is the first in on the forecheck and will lay out a hit to separate a body from a puck. but hit counters may or may not count those.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I don't mind Marleau hitting less during the regular season. Hitting takes its toll on the body and he's good enough with his stick to contribute in other ways.

But in the playoffs, I wish he would play like that all the time. When he plays physical, he's so much more noticeably better in every facet of the game.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
I don't mind Marleau hitting less during the regular season. Hitting takes its toll on the body and he's good enough with his stick to contribute in other ways.

But in the playoffs, I wish he would play like that all the time. When he plays physical, he's so much more noticeably better in every facet of the game.

Yep, and he can lay some pretty solid checks when he feels like it.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com

Yep and he definitely threw some good hits in the vancouver series. He's been throwing hits against the kings from time to time too.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

I agree. He has looked as good on the forecheck as I can ever remember.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

He has been doing it a lot this season. Marleau seems to do whatever the coaches tell him to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad