The Butt Check, a Brent Burns special

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Obviously everyone has seen it. Burns comes flying into the corner hot on the opposing players heels. Burns then swings around and plants is butt into the opposing player or boards. I have never seen a player do this, or at least not do it as their primary choice when going into the boards against the opposing team. Why does this seem to be Burns bread and butter move?

The only advantage I see to the butt check is that if you get the puck you could be in a better position to push off the wall and make some open ice for yourself. Besides for that it doesn't seem to be the most effective way to engage in the corner.

Any thoughts or insight on the Brent Burns special?

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Gif or clip?

And what I think of when someone says butt check

Sorry no clip, but if you watch the game tonight I'm sure you'll see him do it.

It's not really a hip check although I guess it's a similar motion. Typically you see a hip check when someone is coming down the ice and the opposing player is skating backwards and swings over and hits like in the video you linked. Burns does it to players who are stationary on the boards when he has the opportunity to make a normal shoulder check.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
If he can make it work, I see some advantages for him. As you said it frees up his upper body to try to corral the puck. Burns is a huge guy so his butt is higher than most guys, so it can hit higher on another player's body, just a crushing blow against the boards. It may also keep him from scrutiny for high hits, boarding, etc. It would also seem to be a durable part of his own body and might keep him from getting hurt on checks.

I'm a huge fan of hip checks, and I think Burns is the best on the team at them right now. There was another lanky d-man who played for the Sharks and liked to use his butt in an offensive manner ... what was his name ... :laugh:

"Allow me to butt in!"

Gif or clip?

And what I think of when someone says butt check

McLaren hip blast clips never get old ... man, what devastation.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Everything Burns does is unorthodox. The butt check is hilarious when he misses (often), but he's not the only one that does it. Pretty sure Marleau does it frequently, but it's less noticeable because Marleau plays hockey like he learned it from an instruction manual.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Burns is a rookie hip-checker compared to Rob Blake!

But... He has potential.

Personally I don't really consider what burns is doing as a hip check. It's more like he is doing a pile driver with is butt. (Yes i realize how that sounds) As mentioned above he often misses and shakes the hell out of the boards! lol

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Everything Burns does is unorthodox. The butt check is hilarious when he misses (often), but he's not the only one that does it. Pretty sure Marleau does it frequently, but it's less noticeable because Marleau plays hockey like he learned it from an instruction manual.
I never really notice patty doing it, but then again he probably isn't on the verge of putting a hole through the boards every time he does it.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
McLaren hip blast clips never get old ... man, what devastation.[/QUOTE]

COncerning McLaren....He was the one of the best!! I miss those hits!!

MechaMarleau

Vertebraeker
Apr 13, 2007
Menlo Park
Burns plays like an eager terrier let loose on the rink, except he's bigger than everyone else.

It's weird to see someone with his level of NHL experience play such a raw, buzzsaw style of play, but it also makes him surprising and unpredictable. I think there's a very good reason most pundits labeled Burns the X factor of the series.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Burns plays like an eager terrier let loose on the rink, except he's bigger than everyone else.

It's weird to see someone with his level of NHL experience play such a raw, buzzsaw style of play, but it also makes him surprising and unpredictable. I think there's a very good reason most pundits labeled Burns the X factor of the series.

Nice avatar, Mecha!!!!!!

domon

Apr 14, 2012
I noticed it too. He seems to come out with the puck more often than not, so it seems pretty effectiv for him.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
i play in a non-contact ice league. obviously there is contact. and i have actually done this maneuver.

1. it makes it look more innocent (trying to avoid)
2. but it also moves the player away from the puck and puts you in the right direction to skate away/shield from defender.

havent got called yet haha.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Burns said he likes hitting with his hip or butt due to a lesser chance of injury. He still goes in hard with his shoulders but he also is 6'5 so physics can work against him :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad