The Buffalo Sabres have not scored a goal at STAPLES Center since 2010

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
Sabres are an absolute disaster of a franchise, but this stat is pretty meaningless. They are still years away from even competing for a playoff spot, as their defense is atrocious and they don't really have anyone in the defensive pipeline, save for Guhle.

Additionally, they don't really have any "currency" to acquire a top 4 D-Man, unless they trade their 1st, Reinhart or Nylander. This franchise is in serious trouble.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting for sure, as others have said you'd think they would have got a late/lucky goal in 1 of the games.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
The Sabres have only played 9 games total at the Staples Center and won a whopping 1 game there. If you lose 8 out of 9 games, chances are that it's likely that you have lost these games due to your inability to score goals.

It's an obscure stat and simply only impressive if you don't see the whole picture.

Here let's make up another obscure stat which is factually true but overall unimpressive if you know the whole picture.

Here is another one:

Impressive, right?

Sabres have also never scored a 3-point shot from half-court at the Staples center on a sunday, in their entire existence!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I read the title and literally did this

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

It's a team Buffalo rarely plays/building Buffalo rarely plays in, and LA's been a great defensive team over those years while Buffalo's largely been a **** show. :dunno:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
I pointed it out because you think they would have scored at least ONE goal there.

Even Calgary amidst their decade of hell at the Arrowhead Pond at least scored goals.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I did have a chuckle when i saw the score last night. I knew they had lost 3 games in a row by 0-2 score. Sometimes it's almost magical how history keeps repeating itself.

But honestly, it's just a coincidence. Buffalo didn't give a **** last night. The Sabres scored 6 against LA in the 1st game of the season.

If the Kings had shut out the Sabres 4 games in a row i'd say that would've been more impressive, but just the 4 last games at home, yeah i'd say that's a coincidence.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Eh, two different conferences so at most only two meetings a season, and we had a lockout in which no inter-conference games were played. Don't get me wrong, its a truly bizarre stat but it's also not as bad as it sounds when you get down to it.

Now the Penguins not winning in Philadelphia for 15 years, that one is strange. You would think even though Pittsburgh was terrible for most of this stretch, they would have pulled at least one out of their ass.

Also IIRC, I think the Whalers/Hurricanes franchise as a whole has a grand total of just one win in Dallas. 20+ years, one win, 2 years ago. Not sure about the Whalers record in Minnesota for the North Stars, but Texas has not been kind to the Hurricanes franchise.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I wonder why so many people feel the need to diminish this streak. I don't get easily impressed, but I'm 99.9% sure this is the only occurence of this happening during the 12 years I've been a die hard follower of the NHL. I imagine you'd have to look pretty far back to find a team getting shut out in the same building four times in a row. And with result every time being 2-0? I highly doubt that has ever happened before in the NHL.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
And yet the Sabres hold craZy records like being the only team in the NHL with a winning percentage vs the Montreal Canadiens.

(At least in 2008) they had that, and something like 12-0 versus San Jose in the last decade in buffalo.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What's really bizarre is that at the same time, the Kings haven't done so well in Buffalo. I think the Sabres are something like 8-2 at home against the Kings in the last 10 meetings at the HSBC/FNC/KBC.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's not that surprising. There are 30 teams, each of those play 29 away arenas. Now do the same for losing streaks at home for 30 teams * 29 visitors. I'd be surprised if somewhere in that lot there wasn't a shut streak or two. I'm just impressed it was all 2-0.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I think most teams have a bizarre stat like this.

It's not that surprising. There are 30 teams, each of those play 29 away arenas. Now do the same for losing streaks at home for 30 teams * 29 visitors. I'd be surprised if somewhere in that lot there wasn't a shut streak or two. I'm just impressed it was all 2-0.

Exactly. This is a product of the statistical certainty that over enough repeated events, some quirky streaks will emerge amongst all the data. Think of all the ways you could analyze every match up in the league, every city, every arena, etc., you're going to have some anomalies in the data that are just the result of pure chance.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Sabres beat the Kings ten to one back in 06!

So there is that.

I remember that game, it was horrific. We were still looking for a goaltender and had gone through Garon, Cloutier, Burke, Brust, and Fukufuji in goal. Every team had our number, but Buffalo especially clobbered us. Ironically, I believe the same day that that streak against us stopped was the same day that LA's goaltending search ended, during Jonathan Quick's debut which was part of LA throwing every random goaltender it could out there that season, where already seven other goaltenders had played for us in 2007 by the time Quick first took the ice.

https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/eight-years-from-quicks-debut/c-791360

quickd2.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad