The Bright Side - What went well this year?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Thought I’d create a thread free of negativity so we can talk about what went well this season.

Two guys that really stood out to me were Austin Wagner and Jack Campbell. 12 goals in 60 games averaging less than 9 minutes a game is pretty great for Wagner. The guy flat out flies on the rink. I think he’ll be one hell of a second or third liner one day. Plus he’s not afraid to play a tough, chippy game. Really excited about him. As for Campbell - what a likeable guy! Played great (too great - could’ve finished last) for this awful team. Hopefully he’s turned his career around and gets a chance to be the starter, here or elsewhere!

Anyone else have any positives they’ve noticed throughout the year?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
All these guys had good, individual seasons, within reasonable expectations.
1. Campbell
2. Wagner
3. Clifford
4. Brown
5. ....

Iafallo improved from his rookie season, nearly doubling his goals and creeping close to 40 points. I wish I could say the same about Kempe, but he lost a lot of ice time this season to the corpse of Jeff Carter and was basically a 3C.

Grundstrom is the second half surprise.

Luff and to a lesser extent Amadio did relatively well with criminally few NHL minutes. Walker started strong, but faded when his partners got juggled around.

MacDermid outplayed Forbort and Phaneuf by miles in his brief stint, and should have been recalled way sooner.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
All these guys had good, individual seasons, within reasonable expectations.
1. Campbell
2. Wagner
3. Clifford
4. Brown
5. ....

Iafallo improved from his rookie season, nearly doubling his goals and creeping close to 40 points. I wish I could say the same about Kempe, but he lost a lot of ice time this season to the corpse of Jeff Carter and was basically a 3C.

Grundstrom is the second half surprise.

Luff and to a lesser extent Amadio did relatively well with criminally few NHL minutes. Walker started strong, but faded when his partners got juggled around.

MacDermid outplayed Forbort and Phaneuf by miles in his brief stint, and should have been recalled way sooner.

Iafallo's first half was foresure a positive. Same with Kempe's second

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I liked a lot of the younger players that had an opportunity to play. Wagner came out of nowhere to establish himself as a future piece on the roster, Walker/Roy/MacD were able to show glimpses and potential as part of a future blue line, and Petersen looks to be our goaltender of the future. I also loved the trade of Muzzin for Grunny, Durzi and a 1st, just outstanding value.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Clifford had a fantastic year. Brown had a good solid year. Wagner showed he can score. Gunderson come in and lived up to the hype mostly. We got younger Alot of young players got a cup of coffee. Both young goalies played better then i could have hoped.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Other than what's already been said,
development of the top guys Kupari, Thomas, JAD, Anderson, and even Clague to a degree, all showed great promise. (Except for Vilardi of course)

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
upload_2019-4-4_12-53-38.jpeg

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not much more to add than to echo the same few names, for the same few reasons. Leipsic was an overwhelmingly bright example of hustle too. All the young guys getting their first games. They work hard for it.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Clifford
Muzzin trade
Brown continues to play well when factoring in his early season injury. He'll break 50 if he can get a point in the next couple games.
"The kids." I'm grouping them together this way to point out that our youth, particularly, made a pretty great showing all season and they were fun to watch when they got ice time.
Spoiled the Cryotes
Ducks suck
Swept Chicago for the first time since 1999? Something like that. With this shitty team no less.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Clifford had a fantastic year. Brown had a good solid year. Wagner showed he can score. Gunderson come in and lived up to the hype mostly. We got younger Alot of young players got a cup of coffee. Both young goalies played better then i could have hoped.
Beyond Wagner's scoring role, I'm just as impressed at his ability to forecheck and backcheck. The goals are fun as hell to watch, but don't miss the fact that he busts his ass to get the puck back. I'd like to see him get some penalty killing minutes next year. He could be a legitimate weapon on the PK.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
Pearson was traded.

Greene's buyout hit will be gone.

Will only have one year left on Richard's recapture penalty.

Vilardi, while he didn't play a lot, showed promise that he could handle a higher league (AHL) in the few games he did play.

Oh and everything everyone else already mentioned. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad