Speculation: The Brewer deal was a lead up to something bigger in the offseason.

lordsithis

Jul 25, 2010
We did Anaheim a favour by taking his 3.5 million caphit; using our newfound financial muscle yet again to make trades happen.

What if they did this favour to Anaheim as a lead up to a Phaneuf trade package in the offseason?

A 'you scratch my back' type of arrangement where we take care of them now and they go into heavy discussions about Pha9 once summer hits.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think the Wizniewski deal takes them out of the running for Phaneuf in the offseason.

They now have Wiz, Folwer and Stoner long term, and will likely re-sign Beauchemin to a similar cap hit (4M).

They also have Lindholm and Vatanen due for big raises in a couple of years.

The only way I see them getting Phaneuf is if they move Fowler, which isn't likely. Also keep in mind that they are currently paying their goaltenders at collective 2M, which will eventually go way up.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
What are the odds a 5th rounder plays even 100 games in the NHL as anything more than a journeyman? Let's be generous and say 5%?

Did the Leafs just pay 750K for that chance ( 1/4 of of Brewer's salary for the rest of the year, minus Holzer's pay).

Just how rich do you have to be to play at those stakes?

MLG Ghost

Feb 3, 2004
What are the odds a 5th rounder plays even 100 games in the NHL as anything more than a journeyman? Let's be generous and say 5%?

Did the Leafs just pay 750K for that chance ( 1/4 of of Brewer's salary for the rest of the year, minus Holzer's pay).

You just never know though. Tomas Kaberle was drafted 204 overall, in the 8th round of his draft year.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Yeah, like a 5th rounder will ever play in the NHL. Possible, but, unlikely! :shakehead

Actually looking at a report done by Scott Cullen rounds 6 have done better than 5 so we may have been better in round 6 than 5. :laugh:

A quote straight from the article...

No. 121-135
Average Rating: 1.79
Best: Kris Versteeg, Tom Gilbert, Kyle Quincey, Chris Mason.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 13%

No. 136-150
Average Rating: 1.64
Best: Ryan Miller, Mikael Samuelsson, Trent Hunter, Lee Stempniak, Matt Cooke, Brent Sopel.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 11%

No. 151-165
Average Rating: 1.90
Best: Andrei Markov, Brian Campbell, John-Michael Liles, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Smith, Stephane Robidas, Brett Clark, James Wisniewski.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 14%

No. 166-180
Average Rating: 1.92
Best: Pavel Datsyuk, Pavel Kubina, Marek Zidlicky, Samuel Pahlsson, Ladislav Nagy, P.J. Axelsson.
At Least 100 NHL Games (or very likely): 14%

Link: http://www2.tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?ID=267960

Really interesting actually.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

The Leafs are very VERY VERY rich, in case you didnt know.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Not sure what the point was of moving Holzer for Brewer and a 5th was? Seems pointless. Holzer (a RHD) could of been resigned for 750K next year to be a 6th/7th D player.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
You just never know though. Tomas Kaberle was drafted 204 overall, in the 8th round of his draft year.

Yep. If you don't make the picks, you won't get the players. If any team should know this by now it is the Leafs.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

May I direct you to my above post.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think the Wizniewski deal takes them out of the running for Phaneuf in the offseason.

They now have Wiz, Folwer and Stoner long term, and will likely re-sign Beauchemin to a similar cap hit (4M).

They also have Lindholm and Vatanen due for big raises in a couple of years.

The only way I see them getting Phaneuf is if they move Fowler, which isn't likely. Also keep in mind that they are currently paying their goaltenders at collective 2M, which will eventually go way up.

This.

If the Ducks were going to make a play for Phaneuf, they would've done it today.

Perhaps, the two teams talked about this as a premise for a deal earlier should a Phaneuf one not go through, and with Holzer's injury the 4th that it was supposed to be became a 5th.

member 147413

That's a lot of money to take in addition to a defensive downgrade for a 5th round pick.

buttman*

Leaf draft picks in round 5 or lower:

Antoine Bibeau
Andreas Johnson
Connor Brown
Viktor Loov
Sam Carrick
Carl Gunnarsson
Viktor Stalberg
Leo Komarov
Anton Stralman
Ian White
Kyle Wellwood
Shawn Thornton
Tomas Kaberle
Yannick Tremblay
Danil Markov
Sergei Berezin

There are more but that proves the point. It's obviously easier to get a player in the first couple rounds but lets not pretend it's impossible to get a player in the 5th round or later.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Yeah, like a 5th rounder will ever play in the NHL. Possible, but, unlikely! :shakehead

So like Datsyuk and Zetterberg you mean right ? There a more than those guys as well. I agree chance is low BUT better a chance than letting a guy walk for 0.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Yeah, I know, and, the 8th round doesn't exist anymore!

Chances are still very low that a 5th rounder ever plays a game at the NHL level.

We'll see in about 3-5 years what happens to that 5th rounder as a player prospect.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Not sure what the point was of moving Holzer for Brewer and a 5th was? Seems pointless. Holzer (a RHD) could of been resigned for 750K next year to be a 6th/7th D player.

If the Leafs are truly rebuilding then this kind of thinking is in the past. It's all about what is good for the team 3 - 5 years from now, not next season. If you're not part of the future then you are moved for an asset which could be part of the future. Holzer was not in their future plans, so they got what they could for him. I'm actually relieved that this is finally the mentality of management. Was really getting sick of watching player after player leave the organization with no return on investment.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Antoine Bibeau
Andreas Johnson
Connor Brown
Viktor Loov
Sam Carrick
Carl Gunnarsson
Viktor Stalberg
Leo Komarov
Anton Stralman
Ian White
Kyle Wellwood
Shawn Thornton
Tomas Kaberle
Yannick Tremblay
Danil Markov
Sergei Berezin

There are more but that proves the point. It's obviously easier to get a player in the first couple rounds but lets not pretend it's impossible to get a player in the 5th round or later.

beauty..you coulda said datsyuk or zetterberg just to nail home the point..I did tho :)

buttman*

That's a lot of money to take in addition to a defensive downgrade for a 5th round pick.

Most of that money has been spent. There's only about 900K left -- minus the 200K left on Holzner -- works out to about 700K.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Antoine Bibeau
Andreas Johnson
Connor Brown
Viktor Loov
Sam Carrick
Carl Gunnarsson
Viktor Stalberg
Leo Komarov
Anton Stralman
Ian White
Kyle Wellwood
Shawn Thornton
Tomas Kaberle
Yannick Tremblay
Danil Markov
Sergei Berezin

How many playoff games have gotten with that bunch so far? ;)

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So like Datsyuk and Zetterberg you mean right ? There a more than those guys as well. I agree chance is low BUT better a chance than letting a guy walk for 0.

Lets not forget about the many #1 goaltenders in the league being drafted in the mid to late rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad