Speculation: The Brent Seabrook conundrum

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Well, I can deal with Seabrook at his cap hit.

The guy did too much for this city to just say "overpaid", but that's just me
Well, you're a better fan than I. All the jokes and criticism are at Seabrook's contract. I love Seabrook's hockey legacy and the human being. Unfortunately, I love the Hawks more ... and his contract is a big obstacle to our future success. It's nothing personal.

Reactions: BrianE

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I still can’t fathom what was going through Bowman’s head when he handed out that contract.
I've said a few times that it is so bad that it seems like Seabrook's agent wrote up the contract, gave it to Stan and Stan signed it. I wonder if there was even any negotiation and what Seabrook might have given up.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
what happened to the days when players would retire on top? Wanting to have fans remember the player at his best and not be embarrassed. Seabrook was a great player and should be remembered as such. These stupid contracts sometimes kill a player's dignity.
I think Seabrook has a few million reason *not* to retire on top. Unlike recapture contracts like Keith and Hossa's he'd be leaving a butt-tonne of money on the table.
Skinny Seabs please. Again?

Stop bringing Phaneuf into this!!!!:sarcasm:

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I've said a few times that it is so bad that it seems like Seabrook's agent wrote up the contract, gave it to Stan and Stan signed it. I wonder if there was even any negotiation and what Seabrook might have given up.

It’s a good point. Not much else Seabrook could have asked for.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
It wasn’t the AAV that was the problem. If this would have been a 4 year contract I think it could have been understandable. Its the 8 years that was the real issue.

Oh well, sick of all the crying about it for years now and several more years to come. It is was it is and everyone needs to stop whining and move on.

BorrachoooKaner

Aug 6, 2019
Vaughan, Ontario
They'd have to find a legit medical reason that the NHL can't argue with in order to fail him on his preseason physical. What if they can't find anything?
I’m sure with his Colonel Sanders Dietary he’s bound to pick up some health effect at some point ;)

Bottom line: he’s a Blackhawk this season. Next year, is where it gets more interesting. We saw what it cost Toronto to get rid of 1 year of Marleau. Seabs at another 4 years...

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Actually the 8 years was probably to keep the AAV reasonable.

Oh wait..

giphy.gif

BorrachoooKaner

Aug 6, 2019
Vaughan, Ontario
I predict 2 more seasons of Seabrook. Then either a compliance buyout or traditional buyout. He’s untraceable.
They’ll try to move him next offseason with DeBrincat and Strome needing new deals and I don’t see them letting Gus walk either.

Seabrook’s contract is an anchor. With how Cap Space is valued around the league I’d have to imagine the Hawks would have to staple at minimum a good prospect and a 1st rounder to Seabs just to get any other teams attention.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
They’ll try to move him next offseason with DeBrincat and Strome needing new deals and I don’t see them letting Gus walk either.

Seabrook’s contract is an anchor. With how Cap Space is valued around the league I’d have to imagine the Hawks would have to staple at minimum a good prospect and a 1st rounder to Seabs just to get any other teams attention.

It would honestly have taken Dach or the 3rd OA prior to the pick to move Seabrook this offseason.

He's likely only going to get worse. This season if you were willing to give up the 3rd OA pick was probably your last chance to move him.

BorrachoooKaner

Aug 6, 2019
Vaughan, Ontario
It would honestly have taken Dach or the 3rd OA prior to the pick to move Seabrook this offseason.

He's likely only going to get worse. This season if you were willing to give up the 3rd OA pick was probably your last chance to move him.

Seabs definitely carries negative value across the league.

I’d monitor a team like Ottawa though very closely that has only about $29M commited right now to the Cap next year. With Melnyk and the circus I don’t see how any UFA’s would be willing to sign there. They’ll no doubt be struggling to reach the floor next season. Hence, they could be a taker.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Seabs definitely carries negative value across the league. I’d monitor a team like Ottawa though very closely that has only about $29M commited right now to the Cap next year. With Melnyk and the circus that guy has created I don’t see how any UFA’s would be willing to sign there. They’ll no doubt be struggling to reach the floor next season. Hence, they could be a taker.

I'd argue Ottawa is the last team to take on his contract. Seabrook is still owed $29,000,000 in salary and bonuses. There aren't enough prospects/picks you can attach to him to get a team like Ottawa to take on that contract, cash he's owed, and pathetic play.

BorrachoooKaner

Aug 6, 2019
Vaughan, Ontario
I'd argue Ottawa is the last team to take on his contract. Seabrook is still owed $29,000,000 in salary and bonuses. There aren't enough prospects/picks you can attach to him to get a team like Ottawa to take on that contract, cash he's owed, and pathetic play.
As cheap as Melnyk is even if the Cap Floor stayed the same at $60.2M the Sens would still have to spend about $32M to be compliant. With no notable UFA’s other than Anderson and maybe Boedker I can see them getting desperate.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Not true. Seabrook had a front-loaded contract so the actual salary paid over the last 4 years is $20.5M (2020/21=$5M, 2021/22=$6M, 2022/23=$5M, 2023/24=$4.5M) - still terrible but it's a lot less than $29M.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not true. Seabrook had a front-loaded contract so the actual salary paid over the last 4 years is $20.5M (2020/21=$5M, 2021/22=$6M, 2022/23=$5M, 2023/24=$4.5M) - still terrible but it's a lot less than $29M.

His salary + bonus for the remainder of his contract is $29,000,000, is what I was trying to get at.

St Anley

Oct 25, 2018
How about Seabrook bounces back and plays some good , solid hockey? see: Zdeno Chara , for instance. And from his draft year: Suter, Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Corey Perry, Bergeron, Shea Weber..... (Jeremy Colliton, ha)

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

AgentMacklin

Jun 17, 2019
Since the players hate escrow I'm hoping the NHLPA and the league amend the CBA to exclude buyout money from the players' share of hockey-related revenue. If that happens we should be able to buyout Seabrook (and other players if necessary) without incurring any cap penalties.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015

Tru dat...

Every offseason player agents are going to market their client at a specific pay grade and teams are going to balk. That is what happened with Saad back in the day.

Blackhawks are not going to sign both Cat and Strome (and rightly so) if both are looking to make bank with long term deals. Best case scenario if this were to occur is to ship the malcontent as a bribe to a team like Ottawa in a package deal with Seabs.

KWP

Aug 18, 2018
The Nearest Gin Joint
It would honestly have taken Dach or the 3rd OA prior to the pick to move Seabrook this offseason...

Read a couple different hockey sites Hawks tried to get VAN swap 1st round picks - #3 & #10 - for Seabrook's contract. Evidently neither Dach OR the 3rd overall enough.

Do the Hawks win 3 SCs w/o Brent Seabrook? I say no way.
Will the Hawks win another while #7's still suiting up? Same answer.

Frustrating part is ... every single hardcore Hawk fan KNEW Bowman's offer was INSANELY bad - dollars, term, AND a No Move?
Any one of those three parts, fine, no problem - and Seabrook had earned it - but all three?! AYFKM.

"Brutally inept negotiating" doesn't come close to describing what Bowman jr did - and remember Seabrook still had another year on his existing contract when the extension offered.

I firmly believe too, the Seabrook's cap ramifications played a part in Henri Jokiharju getting dealt.

But trying my best to be fair ... the Hawk GM did make a generational deal early last season - credit where due that one for sure ...
GoHawks

Last edited:

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)

Of course they’ll try to move him but at what cost? Marleau just cost the Leafs a 1st for 1 season of 6.25. Next offseason you’ll have 4 more years at 6.85. What would you have to give up to trade a replacement-level dman on that contract? Multiple 1st round picks? Dach or Boqvist? Mitchell and a 1st will not do it. Plus, he has a NMC. No, you are looking at a buyout or some concocted LTIR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad