Speculation: The Brent Seabrook conundrum

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
What do the Hawks do if a compliance buyout isn't an option? In that case, would it be time to just buy him out conventionally just to get him off the roster? They'd still save 1.5 M at worst over the life of the buyout, and they'd only have a 700k hit past the end of the contract.

Last edited:

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Sad to see since Seabs meant so much to the Hawks for so long...I hope they'll be able to Pronger him eventually.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Every offseason there is one or two teams looking to get above the cap floor...Stan needs to smooze and dine them.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He'll be around longer than people think he will be, I believe.

I have hopes he can be a solid depth guy for a couple more years if he gets his training right and learns a good system that can help him.

Reactions: DesperateBeliever

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Due to the structure of his contract, it only makes sense to buyout the last 2 years.

So if there's no compliance buyout, and Seabs doesn't go on LTIR, he's here until the end of the 2021-22 season. 3 more years of Seabs.

Reactions: Njfj

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Sad to see since Seabs meant so much to the Hawks for so long...I hope they'll be able to Pronger him eventually.

Not to single you out, but I always find sadness to be a peculiar sentiment to feel towards a fading star professional athlete, multimillionaire many times over. He’s certainly not looking to trade lives with anyone on this board.

Reactions: BrianE

Cowch

Jan 24, 2019
He'll be around longer than people think he will be, I believe.

I have hopes he can be a solid depth guy for a couple more years if he gets his training right and learns a good system that can help him.
This is my mindset. I'd just like to see him play well in a lesser role than he has had. The $$$ sucks, but there's nothing to be done about that.

St Anley

Oct 25, 2018
what happened to the days when players would retire on top? Wanting to have fans remember the player at his best and not be embarrassed. Seabrook was a great player and should be remembered as such. These stupid contracts sometimes kill a player's dignity.

Reactions: TopCheese

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
what happened to the days when players would retire on top? Wanting to have fans remember the player at his best and not be embarrassed. Seabrook was a great player and should be remembered as such. These stupid contracts sometimes kill a player's dignity.

Most guys don't know they aren't on top any more until the top is miles in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: TopCheese

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
The answer is who f***ing knows because we have no idea about compliance buyouts. Dwelling on it in August isn’t going to change anything. It is what it is and we can’t do anything about it. So Stan will work around it for the time being because it’s not hindering our signings next year unless we hit up free agency which we don't need to. So the hawks will be fine despite the terrible contract. Ya heard?

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Most guys don't know they aren't on top any more until the top is miles in the rear view mirror.

No they know every time they step on the ice and people they never heard of are walking them.

Reactions: insomniac

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I think deep down they know but they are maximizing their earnings and their working career is much smaller.

perhaps that is the case for some, having said that Brent Seabrook made millions and millions more last year alone then the average person will make in their lifetime so while their hockey career is much smaller they should be able to support their immediate family for the rest of their lives on the hockey career earnings...in fact if they were wise with their money they should be able to survive for the rest of their lives on what Sebrooks salary last year alone was.

Also they can work after hockey and earn a living....

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
If the Hawks can keep him until July 2, 2022 (3 more seasons) he'll be due 5.5 million for a 13.75 million cap hit over 2 years. At that point he could be tradeable to a cap-basement team with a modest sweetener.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Due to the structure of his contract, it only makes sense to buyout the last 2 years.

So if there's no compliance buyout, and Seabs doesn't go on LTIR, he's here until the end of the 2021-22 season. 3 more years of Seabs.

If the Hawks buyout Seabs in the summer of 2022 he'll come with a 6.45mil cap hit that year - savings of only 400k. If they can't trade him I think they would just keep him for that small of a cost.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I still can’t fathom what was going through Bowman’s head when he handed out that contract.

Reactions: BrianE

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I still can’t fathom what was going through Bowman’s head when he handed out that contract.

he and the front office wanted to make sure that they rewarded 7 for the cups and the skate to the Penalty box to tap Toews on the head and give him some words of encouragement...

there could have been a lot better ways to reward 7 than crippling the team with this asinine deal that is for sure...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad