GBU The Boosh, the Boosh, and the Boosh - Lyubushkin Trifecta! Sabres Win! 5-3 in Nashville.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's amazing to me that Thompson doesn't seem to be operating a peak TNT mode, yet he still is impacting these games in a pretty meaningful way.

I also have to call out Granato for pulling all the right leavers with most of these players. Sitting the two rookies then inserting them and giving them very meaningful minutes is not something you'd see from 90% of NHL coaches. He had them out there with 3 minutes left and they iced the game for the Sabres. I've had my doubts along the way, but he's a pretty amazing coach. Does this team need to be in the playoffs for him to be in the Jack Adams discussion?

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
The Good -

KO's shorty was all sorts of effort and unexpected results.
Boosh feeding the front for the shorty.
Vic ripping bombs.
Cozens on the rush, getting some push from the kids.
Late shift from the wonder twins to get Quinn the goal.
The "Sevens" line with forecheck and possession again tonight. Seems like it's been four games in a row where they've really done a solid job of flipping the ice and generating chances.
Skinner's breakaway from Thompson coming back deep and stretching the ice.
Thompson's defensive game tonight - back deep and turning plays quickly up ice with the Skinner feed tops.
Luukkonen late was excellent. With the game in the balance and Nashville's last minute push, he gave them everything.

The Bad -

Didn't like Jost's feel good slash.
Boosh with the grenade moment at his own line that lead directly to a penalty.
Power had some issues with puck handling under pressure leading directly to the Lauzon goal.

The Ugly -

The weak elbow call on Boosh leading directly to the Josi goal.
The contact on Luukkonen.
The all sorts of effort has me dying lol.

Reactions: Chainshot

hypaspazz

Jan 27, 2017
Houston, TX
G: Well-deserved Sabres Win with a full team effort. They beat Nashville, the Refs, and the crowd.
Survived the 2nd period Nashville "Smash"
Quinn, after being the Preds punching bag all night, proved that he was not there B*
B: One-way penalty calls after the 1st
Several "No-calls" including head contact 5 feet from in front of the Ref; which leads to...
U: Bush league reffing holds the NHL back from increasing the fanbase IMHO. The product tonight was more WWE than NBA/NFL.

Shame on the Stripes tonight for falling into the emotional trap of the crowd in Nashville.

Reactions: Chainshot

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
You have that backwards. Saros was excellent tonight and the only reason the game was tied going into the 3rd. UPL was shaky AF for the first 50 minutes before finally settling in and was excellent the last 10.

If the goalies were reversed we boatrace them.
Saros faced 33 shots- .848 SV%. UPL faced 41 shots - .927. :huh:

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
ugly: those white reverse retros

when the preds feed says love them that's all you need to know
I love them :laugh:

Agreed with most of what was said so far in this thread.

Thought I’d add what I said in the GDT, Boosh has an awful reputation with the refs in this league and will never get the benefit of the doubt. His benefit of ‘intimidation factor’ is a net negative with this in mind. According to this source he is averaging particularly way higher than even his prior years in taking penalties this year, it’s becoming ridiculous.

I also may be in the minority but I am becoming really sour on Joki. He’s still young at 23, but he seems like the type that isn’t going to really figure it out for another 3-5 years, then he’ll be a solid contributor for his team. I never see anything that really wows me about him and constantly see him losing battles and making dumb decisions. I get the impression he believes he’s a different type of D than Granato & our team needs in his slot. He’d be fine as a 3RD on a contender but that just doesn’t fit the mold for what we need on our lineup. I wish he was an LD so then we could put him there long term and not even have the Bryson/whoever debate. Maybe I’m too harsh but I’ve been thinking this for awhile.

Otherwise really loved what I saw last night minus the 2 UPL goals. Clearly the better team on the ice.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I love them :laugh:

Agreed with most of what was said so far in this thread.

Thought I’d add what I said in the GDT, Boosh has an awful reputation with the refs in this league and will never get the benefit of the doubt. His benefit of ‘intimidation factor’ is a net negative with this in mind. According to this source he is averaging particularly way higher than even his prior years in taking penalties this year, it’s becoming ridiculous.

I also may be in the minority but I am becoming really sour on Joki. He’s still young at 23, but he seems like the type that isn’t going to really figure it out for another 3-5 years, then he’ll be a solid contributor for his team. I never see anything that really wows me about him and constantly see him losing battles and making dumb decisions. I get the impression he believes he’s a different type of D than Granato & our team needs in his slot. He’d be fine as a 3RD on a contender but that just doesn’t fit the mold for what we need on our lineup. I wish he was an LD so then we could put him there long term and not even have the Bryson/whoever debate. Maybe I’m too harsh but I’ve been thinking this for awhile.

Otherwise really loved what I saw last night minus the 2 UPL goals. Clearly the better team on the ice.
Our legit playoff contender should have a D-corps like...

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxxx
xxxxx - Jokiharju

Reactions: beerme1

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxxx
xxxxx - Jokiharju
If we can sign Joki to a respectable contract and get that intimidating factor that doesn’t shit the bed too often on 3LD that would be ideal. He makes 2.5 as is and I don’t believe he thinks that’s his ceiling, so I’m skeptical since even with the space we have the cap is eventually going to catch up with us with all the talent we have and coming. You don’t really want to pay a third pairing guy more than that imo.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxxx
xxxxx - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Mayfield/Peeke
Ekholm/Mikkola - Jokiharju

1673809999419.gif

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Disagree. With that logic Ullmark, Sorokin and Hellebuyck is not top goalies this year because they have good stats. Agree to disagree.
That's not my logic in any way shape or form.

ONE GAME, save percentage can absolutely lie. And that's what in talking about .

In this one game, the save percentage lies. Saros was the better goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad