GDT: The Blue Note @ Your NJ Devils, 1/5/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Exhibit A: the 2022 NY Jets, another young team that wildly exceeded expectations early only to regress to the same bullshit late
I don’t like this comparison because the Jets stink because they’re missing literally the most important piece in professional sports, the QB. And not just missing a franchise guy, they’re getting some of the worst QB play in the league.

The Devils are narrowly losing some games against elite teams and losing games while dominating shit teams. Plus, hockey has a much larger luck factor. There is reason to expect it to turn around. The Jets losing games with their trash offense was not hard to predict.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don’t like this comparison because the Jets stink because they’re missing literally the most important piece in professional sports, the QB. And not just missing a franchise guy, they’re getting some of the worst QB play in the league.
Well we only have one goalie in the organization that's definitely NHL caliber right now

And we don't even wanna use him like he's the undisputed #1. He plays 2 really good games in a row, and yet we wanna throw in the massively inferior option out there on a random day against a team that's won 10 in a row, right after we gain some momentum by getting a win?

It's imperative Vitek plays 55 games this year if we're serious about making the playoffs. Probably 55-57, as he's already on pace for 53.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I always love the "WELL IF YOU TAKE OUT THE HISTORIC 13 GAME WINNING STREAK, THIS TEAM STINKS!!" stuff. Thats....not how sports works. All the games count equally. Hockey especially is a game of streaks, both winning and losing.

I am annoyed as hell today about that loss last night. But, if the Devils would play that exact game 100 times, I bet they'd win 95 of them. and yes, I know we're sick of hearing about that....but the reality is thats all we can do at this point. Getting Marino and Bastian back hopefully soon will hopefully provide some of the much needed depth we've been missing out on.

Its a longgggggg season. To get hung up on a game or a few game stretch is not good for your mental health, I promise you. This team is still on pace to have 40+ more points than they did last season. Think about that.
The Devils just have this way of playing that makes this the only thing I disagree with out of everything you said.

I said during the Flyers game they were going to lose in the first period. During the second Boston game I declared at the end of the first period the game was over and they were going to lose... and I tweeted during the first period last night this was going to be a "deserve to win o meter" loss.

The team has a fancy offensive style that looks nice and makes you think they are dominating but if the other team's goalie is on his game and the Devils don't capitalize on early chances, they lose the game almost every time. The sheer number of times this has happened during the season (it's like 7-8 times now) is alarming to me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The one huge problem is no one in the bottom 6 can really score anymore. Miles Wood has 2 points in his last 10 games, both coming in the Detroit game. And there's people that really want him for $4 million? And for FOUR YEARS as was suggested before he fell off?

Of course he's not 2 points in 10 games bad, he's just not 40+ points and 25 goals good. Which was the pace for a significant stretch.

#MarketCorrections

#Eveningoutofthepercentages

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Zetterlund should be playing on the bottom 6 for his shot alone. He doesn't have to be in a perfect spot to score.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
A collapse happens more rapidly and at the end of a season. You babies are calling it a collapse when we’re literally not at the halfway point of the season. You guys actually deserve a team that misses the playoffs.
What the hell.......you talk about overreaction, the only overreaction I see is you towards the "collapse talk". The large majority of members are not doing what you say they're doing. Just chill dude.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
What the hell.......you talk about overreaction, the only overreaction I see is you towards the "collapse talk". The large majority of members are not doing what you say they're doing. Just chill dude.
I’m obviously talking about people that specifically pollute GDTs with collapse talk after a tough L and wank off to our record in the last 10 or whatever. They very much deserve a collapse.

Luckily that’s not that widespread, it would be unbearable.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I’m obviously talking about people that specifically pollute GDTs with collapse talk after a tough L and wank off to our record in the last 10 or whatever. They very much deserve a collapse.

Luckily that’s not that widespread, it would be unbearable.
We’re getting close.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Devils just have this way of playing that makes this the only thing I disagree with out of everything you said.

I said during the Flyers game they were going to lose in the first period. During the second Boston game I declared at the end of the first period the game was over and they were going to lose... and I tweeted during the first period last night this was going to be a "deserve to win o meter" loss.

The team has a fancy offensive style that looks nice and makes you think they are dominating but if the other team's goalie is on his game and the Devils don't capitalize on early chances, they lose the game almost every time. The sheer number of times this has happened during the season (it's like 7-8 times now) is alarming to me.

Start betting on this and just rack up the cash, seems like you've unlocked it.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Wasn't there a goon on Twitter during our run over a month ago that said they were getting almost bored with the winning or how the outcome of the games were going?

I blame them for this. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
For the most part, I think this team has what it takes to get out of this and make the playoffs. If not just as a wild card.

But unfortunately, goaltending could kill us again and keep us out of the playoffs.

Especially when they don't seem to wanna stop throwing Blackwood in there every 3 games, no matter how bad he played the last game and no matter how hot Vitek has been.

I'm pretty sure he's gonna be in on Tuesday, even if Vitek gets a shutout tomorrow. So we better f***in win.

The only thing we really have to fear for our lives with is the goaltending position beyond Vanecek, which killed us pretty good last night.

Akira has been in a nasty skid starting with his last game here before last night against Florida and a couple of blowouts in the AHL in between. I don't think he's gonna be of much help right now.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The team has a fancy offensive style that looks nice
My goodness….

That “fancy” style is the reason why they have the puck longer in the offensive zone than in their defensive zone….which is literally the hardest and most important part of constructing a good team.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
My goodness….

That “fancy” style is the reason why they have the puck longer in the offensive zone than in their defensive zone….which is literally the hardest and most important part of constructing a good team.
Lol, with our “fancy” style we’re 1st in SCF, 2nd in HDCF, 4th in SCA and 2nd in HDCA 5on5. Looks pretty damn good to me.

After the last few years of bad hockey with the ending of the Lou era and the start of the rebuild, I’m surprised most people can’t see that the product on the ice has drastically improved this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The Devils are narrowly losing some games against elite teams and losing games while dominating shit teams. Plus, hockey has a much larger luck factor. There is reason to expect it to turn around. The Jets losing games with their trash offense was not hard to predict.

Being a fan of both, I can get behind it but the Devils are better set up than the Jets. Not to mention, the Devils will probably hire a new coach + a spot to add more pieces whereasthe Jets are treading water without having any real ability to add a superstar piece while missing a QB. If the Jets had Lawrence, the comparison would be way more apt.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Lol, with our “fancy” style we’re 1st in SCF, 2nd in HDCF, 4th in SCA and 2nd in HDCA 5on5. Looks pretty damn good to me.

After the last few years of bad hockey with the ending of the Lou era and the start of the rebuild, I’m surprised most people can’t see that the product on the ice has drastically improved this year.
Where did I say the product hasn't improved?

I just have issue with the fact that the league has figured out how to counter the style of play and it's working for most part. I would rather have 2 points in the standings in a game where a lot of people think we played poorly (Detroit) versus winning the deserve to win o meter (Boston and Carolina x2, NYI, Philly, Dallas, St Louis, and more) and lose all those games.

Reactions: Call Me Al

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Where did I say the product hasn't improved?

I just have issue with the fact that the league has figured out how to counter the style of play and it's working for most part. I would rather have 2 points in the standings in a game where a lot of people think we played poorly (Detroit) versus winning the deserve to win o meter (Boston and Carolina x2, NYI, Philly, Dallas, St Louis, and more) and lose all those games.
If teams had countered our offense and system so much our metrics would’ve dropped more significantly. They haven’t. Our puck luck has been absolutely putrid these last few weeks. I fully expect it to get back to the norm.

As for losing the games we dominated lately and winning the Detroit game we didn’t deserve as much, that’s hockey. It happens, especially with a sport highly influenced by luck like hockey.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If teams had countered our offense and system so much our metrics would’ve dropped more significantly. They haven’t. Our puck luck has been absolutely putrid these last few weeks. I fully expect it to get back to the norm.

As for losing the games we dominated lately and winning the Detroit game we didn’t deserve as much, that’s hockey. It happens, especially with a sport highly influenced by luck like hockey.
It just seems a little more urgent for me to "right this ship" when the Devils losing a bit coincided with seemingly every other team in the division "getting their shit together"

We went from having a 10 pt division lead which was obviously unsustainable to now being real close to falling behind 2/3 other teams in the division.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It just seems a little more urgent for me to "right this ship" when the Devils losing a bit coincided with seemingly every other team in the division "getting their shit together"

We went from having a 10 pt division lead which was obviously unsustainable to now being real close to falling behind 2/3 other teams in the division.
As much as our current losing “skid” is annoying, with the way we’re playing, it’s most likely unsustainable, just as our division rivals playing at a .700%-.800% percent clip is unsustainable.

I’m honestly not worried at all about this team right now. To be fair though, I haven’t really changed my expectations for the season regardless of the winning streak. The team is playing good hockey and certainly deserves to win most nights. As long as they do that I see progress. The wins will come as a result of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad