Recalled/Assigned: The Black Aces - Wilson Recalled Tuesday, Dumoulin & Harrington on Sunday

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Then he gets out cycled by the fastest team in the league and gets scored on.

Lappy is the one person I wouldn't take off the fourth line. He's just like Goc, not overly showy, but he isn't really known for being a goalscorer. He plays well positionally and PKs well on the second pairing.

dont advanced stats show that he is notably worse than goc at just about everything beyond playoff grit?

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Top line of Malkin - Crosby - Hornqvist and 9 Nick Spaling's on the other 3 lines wins us the Cup comfortably, yes, even with this defense. This notion that he is a non factor is really parroted too much around here. Is he too safe, yeah, maybe blend sometimes, sure, but he is one positionally sound, hardworking player that does so many things away from the play. He even chips in solid 3rd line production, all while lacking a bit in offensive instincts and skill, but hey, if he had that, he'd probably be one of the premier 50-60pts two way centers.

5 Rupps > 9 Spalings

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Top line of Malkin - Crosby - Hornqvist and 9 Nick Spaling's on the other 3 lines wins us the Cup comfortably, yes, even with this defense.

Ok Spaling isn't terrible especially with better players around him, but let's not get carried away. And in this case, by carried away I mean the wagon has started careening down a steep cliff and about to fall off a 500 foot precipice.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lapierre is 5th on the Penguins in ga/60 on the pk including his numbers on the Blues. He's hardly a pk wizard.

So you prefer Adams plays on the PK?

Lapierre is in their top four rotation on one of the best kills in the league. So he must be doing something right.

If Lapierre is sitting, Adams will be playing well before Farnham.

Unless you think Farnham will be trusted to kill penalties over Adams, which is funny as piss.

This infatuation with a sideshow player has really gotten silly. It took Lapierre all of two games to generate more shots than Farnham did in 11. The guy blows with the puck. Completely blows.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
So you prefer Adams plays on the PK?

Lapierre is in their top four rotation on one of the best kills in the league. So he must be doing something right.

If Lapierre is sitting, Adams will be playing well before Farnham.

Unless you think Farnham will be trusted to kill penalties over Adams, which is funny as piss.

This infatuation with a sideshow player has really gotten silly. It took Lapierre all of two games to generate more shots than Farnham did in 11. The guy blows with the puck. Completely blows.

Actually yeah I would rather have Adams. Adams is a better pk'er and is much better defensively. -1 in 70 games compared to -13 in 35 games for Lapierre with both playing in the same situation on the same line.

It's funny that you accuse me of having an infatuation considering the post I quoted had nothing to do with Farnham yet you still felt the need to go on a rant about Farnham. Simple fact is Lapierre has to go because he is in competition with Tanner Glass for worst player in the league. I don't care if it's Farnham, Megna or a cardboard cutout that replaces him, it is addition by subtraction.

It is you who has an infatuation with a sideshow player. The only difference is your infatuation is worse because Lapierre isn't even a sideshow anymore. He brings nothing to the table. And don't even repeat the step up in the playoffs argument. Sure, he played an important role on the 2010 Canadiens and the 2011 Canucks, unfortunately this years' playoff are being played in 2015. He has nothing left and he gots to go. By any metric he is a horrendous player.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Actually yeah I would rather have Adams. Adams is a better pk'er and is much better defensively. -1 in 70 games compared to -13 in 35 games for Lapierre with both playing in the same situation on the same line.

It's funny that you accuse me of having an infatuation considering the post I quoted had nothing to do with Farnham yet you still felt the need to go on a rant about Farnham. Simple fact is Lapierre has to go because he is in competition with Tanner Glass for worst player in the league. I don't care if it's Farnham, Megna or a cardboard cutout that replaces him, it is addition by subtraction.

It is you who has an infatuation with a sideshow player. The only difference is your infatuation is worse because Lapierre isn't even a sideshow anymore. He brings nothing to the table. And don't even repeat the step up in the playoffs argument. Sure, he played an important role on the 2010 Canadiens and the 2011 Canucks, unfortunately this years' playoff are being played in 2015. He has nothing left and he gots to go. By any metric he is a horrendous player.

This post has gone off the deep end.

Have fun down there.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
This post has gone off the deep end.

Have fun down there.

Once again you ignore all of my valid points and resort to a snarky reply. You said Lapierre is a good defensive player, there is a lot of evidence that he is not. You said he was good on the pk, there is evidence that he is the 5th best pker on the Pens. You said he steps up in the playoffs and gets the other team off their game, he hasn't done anything of the sort in 4 years.

Your argument sucks. The Penguins need to replace Lapierre, he is horrible in every way. Prove me wrong.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Once again you ignore all of my valid points and resort to a snarky reply. You said Lapierre is a good defensive player, there is a lot of evidence that he is not. You said he was good on the pk, there is evidence that he is the 5th best pker on the Pens. You said he steps up in the playoffs and gets the other team off their game, he hasn't done anything of the sort in 4 years.

Your argument sucks. The Penguins need to replace Lapierre, he is horrible in every way. Prove me wrong.

Prove you wrong? Ok...

Lapierre is in the NHL and hasn't sniffed the A in a decade, while Farnham has been an AHL journeyman.

Was that suppose to be hard?

At no point did I say Lapierre was good defensively. I said he was good on the PK, which he is. That's why he is in their top four and the unit is one of the best in the league.

All of your points are silly and you just keep digging a hole instead of admitting you are straight wrong.

You are the only one in this thread that thinks Sideshow Bob is better than a legit NHLer that has proven himself over time.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Prove you wrong? Ok...

Lapierre is in the NHL and hasn't sniffed the A in a decade, while Farnham has been an AHL journeyman.

Was that suppose to be hard?

At no point did I say Lapierre was good defensively. I said he was good on the PK, which he is. That's why he is in their top four and the unit is one of the best in the league.

All of your points are silly and you just keep digging a hole instead of admitting you are straight wrong.

You are the only one in this thread that thinks Sideshow Bob is better than a legit NHLer that has proven himself over time.

My points are silly? All you've done is repeat the word sideshow like a broken record whilst presenting your opinions as if they are facts.

Lapierre needs to sit. Farnham doesn't necessarily need to be the guy to replace him, but he needs to sit. He is every bit as bad as Tanner Glass and even giving him a jersey makes the team weaker automatically.

He may be a proven nhl'er but since he came to Pittsburgh he has looked like someone who doesn't belong in this league anymore.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
haha, oh man, i need some popcorn, someone is actually defending Craig Adams the player? this can only be good.

Craig Adams is not worth the time, he's not a good hockey player and nobody should ever sit for him, period.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
haha, oh man, i need some popcorn, someone is actually defending Craig Adams the player? this can only be good.

Craig Adams is not worth the time, he's not a good hockey player and nobody should ever sit for him, period.

I'm not defending Adams at all, he is horrible. Lapierre is also horrible, neither should be playing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My points are silly? All you've done is repeat the word sideshow like a broken record whilst presenting your opinions as if they are facts.

Lapierre needs to sit. Farnham doesn't necessarily need to be the guy to replace him, but he needs to sit. He is every bit as bad as Tanner Glass and even giving him a jersey makes the team weaker automatically.

He may be a proven nhl'er but since he came to Pittsburgh he has looked like someone who doesn't belong in this league anymore.

Let's look at the "made up facts" you claim I've said:

- Lapierre is a top four guy on one of the best kills in the league. Fact.

- Lapierre had more shots in the last two games of the season than Farnham had during his 11 games up this season. Fact.

- Lapierre has been a steady NHL player for a decade and hasn't sniffed the A once since then. Fact.

- Farnham is an AHL journeyman. Fact.

- Lapierre is a better player than Farnham. Fact.

Now I generally think you are a decent poster, so if you want to make an ass of yourself by continuing a debate you can't win, I'm not going to enable you any further. Why you would try to make a debate out of this is completely bananas.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

I can't believe what I'm reading, completely solid argument.

bkFH9IP.jpg

Laps pk numbers are terrible as well. His only use is to replace Downie as an agitator, since Lap doesn't get reputation calls against for breathing.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

Let's look at the "made up facts" you claim I've said:

- Lapierre is a top four guy on one of the best kills in the league. Fact.

- Lapierre had more shots in the last two games of the season than Farnham had during his 11 games up this season. Fact.

- Lapierre has been a steady NHL player for a decade and hasn't sniffed the A once since then. Fact.

- Farnham is an AHL journeyman. Fact.

- Lapierre is a better player than Farnham. Fact.

Now I generally think you are a decent poster, so if you want to make an ass of yourself by continuing a debate you can't win, I'm not going to enable you any further. Why you would try to make a debate out of this is completely bananas.

Why do you keep bringing up Farnham while quoting posts I made that have nothing to do with Farnham?

The simple fact is that Lapierre needs to sit. I really don't care if Wilson, Megna, Chuck Norris or Santa Claus replaces him, he needs to go. He is horrible both offensively or defensively and his agitation/physicality is a thing of the past. His faceoffs are nice but it doesn't make up for his total ineptitude in every other area of the game.

I'll gladly drop the whole Farnham debate, it doesn't really matter anyway, he's not going to get a callup. I just can't believe that people are actually defending Lapierre. Since he has been a Pen he has been just as bad as the Tanner Glass' and John Scotts' of the league. The defense people are using for him is the exact crap we all have heard from the media in the past in defense of Adams. Yes, being solid on the pk is nice but it isn't worth it if said player hurts the team in every other situation. The pk over the last few years has been consistently good with different players and I just don't see Lapierre as a crucial ingredient. If Lapierre plays, it hurts the team and it is as simple as that.

Edit: DearDiary please don't get confused with my argument. Craig Adams is one of the very worst players in the nhl and only compares favorably to someone as inept as Lapierre. Neither should get a jersey in the playoffs, I'd much rather have Wilson or Megna over both 27 and 40.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Why do you keep bringing up Farnham while quoting posts I made that have nothing to do with Farnham?

The simple fact is that Lapierre needs to sit. I really don't care if Wilson, Megna, Chuck Norris or Santa Claus replaces him, he needs to go. He is horrible both offensively or defensively and his agitation/physicality is a thing of the past. His faceoffs are nice but it doesn't make up for his total ineptitude in every other area of the game.

I'll gladly drop the whole Farnham debate, it doesn't really matter anyway, he's not going to get a callup. I just can't believe that people are actually defending Lapierre. Since he has been a Pen he has been just as bad as the Tanner Glass' and John Scotts' of the league. The defense people are using for him is the exact crap we all have heard from the media in the past in defense of Adams. Yes, being solid on the pk is nice but it isn't worth it if said player hurts the team in every other situation. The pk over the last few years has been consistently good with different players and I just don't see Lapierre as a crucial ingredient. If Lapierre plays, it hurts the team and it is as simple as that.

Why the hell would I not bring up Farnham when the entire stupid debate has centered around Farnham playing over Lapierre? Then you went totally off the hinge and said you would rather Adams play over Lapierre.

That's about the time you should have known you were losing your marbles.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Lapierre has done jack **** since coming here. It's amazing that people think he is valuable.

I'd rather have Vitale back, but their fourth line looked good the other day with Comeau Spaling and Lapierre.

Lapierre has played well the last half dozen games. It would be nice if he potted one, but he usually raises his game come playoff time.

Farnham handles the puck like a hand grenade and can't cycle worth ****. He's a one trick pony that flys around hitting guys. Teams like Florida decided to let him have the puck, then they abused him. Rags will do the same.

Lapierre and Zigomanis are very similar cases. Winning faceoffs is their only skill.

I'm not gonna say Farnham is a better player. However, I will say that at least Farnham has speed, plays hard and draws penalties. Based on what Lapierre has done as a Penguin, if you think he brings more to the table then you are kidding yourself.

Why the hell would I not bring up Farnham when the entire stupid debate has centered around Farnham playing over Lapierre? Then you went totally off the hinge and said you would rather Adams play over Lapierre.

That's about the time you should have known you were losing your marbles.

As you can see from my original post in this thread quoted above, I never intended to talk about Farnham in this thread. You brought up Farnham while quoting posts of mine that had nothing to do with Farnham on 2 or 3 seperate occasions in this thread. Then you had the gall to accuse me of being obsessed with Farnham. As you can see from the bolded phrase above, I admitted that Lapierre is a better player. I merely said that Farnham would bring effort and physicality which has been severely lacking in Lapierre's game. I'd be perfectly fine with Megna or Wilson replacing Lapierre but you ignored me saying that of course because apparently everything has to be about Farnham.

Also I wasn't going off the rails when I said I'd rather have Adams. Neither should be playing in the NHL and both are terrible, Adams is simply slightly less terrible. He is the lesser of 2 evils if you will. The Pens should have held on to Goc.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
The simple fact is that Lapierre needs to sit. I really don't care if Wilson, Megna, Chuck Norris or Santa Claus replaces him, he needs to go. He is horrible both offensively or defensively and his agitation/physicality is a thing of the past. His faceoffs are nice but it doesn't make up for his total ineptitude in every other area of the game

I haven't voiced my opinion up until now -- but I can't hold off any longer!

NewAge, I get that you don't like Lapierre. But some of what you are saying seems just ridiculous to me. I agree that he hasn't been anywhere near the physical/agitating player many of us had hoped. I still hold out hope that he shows some of that side of him in the playoffs, but I admit he hasn't shown much of it since he's been here. I also agree that he had some bad games early on for us.

With that said, however, I feel that it is ridiculous hyperbole to say he is "horrible," and "totally inept," and should be benched for "Santa Claus," or a "cardboard cutout." Honestly, I've been largely disappointed in him, versus my expectations, although he has played better the past several games and thus seems to be trending in a good direction. His faceoffs lately have been a bright spot, and that IS important -- especially from a possession perspective. But I concede that otherwise, he hasn't "stood out" in any major, positive way.

Many here talk about Spaling as being "vanilla," and in a lot of ways, I think that's a relatively fair assessment of Lapierre. He hasn't done a whole lot positive, BUT -- he hasn't done a whole lot negative lately, either. You said in another post that he's actively hurting the team. I disagree totally. I haven't seen him, over the past month or so, making horrible giveaways, terrible reads, being lazy, etc. In other words, FAR from "actively hurting" the team. Could his play be easily upgraded through a trade or such, at some point? Sure. But to say he doesn't even belong in the league, basically, and to compare him to the most inept players in the NHL, I think that is taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

It's not a surprise why you are getting push-back on your posts/opinions. To say he "hasn't shown a whole lot," or has been "no more than decent in his best games," fine. But to say he's completely inept, among the worst in the league, and could be sat for literally ANYONE? Come on...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
As you can see from my original post in this thread quoted above, I never intended to talk about Farnham in this thread. You brought up Farnham while quoting posts of mine that had nothing to do with Farnham on 2 or 3 seperate occasions in this thread. Then you had the gall to accuse me of being obsessed with Farnham. As you can see from the bolded phrase above, I admitted that Lapierre is a better player. I merely said that Farnham would bring effort and physicality which has been severely lacking in Lapierre's game. I'd be perfectly fine with Megna or Wilson replacing Lapierre but you ignored me saying that of course because apparently everything has to be about Farnham.

Also I wasn't going off the rails when I said I'd rather have Adams. Neither should be playing in the NHL and both are terrible, Adams is simply slightly less terrible. He is the lesser of 2 evils if you will. The Pens should have held on to Goc.

Go back to page one and the top of page two. The debate started there and you jumped in saying its crazy anyone would defend Lapierre. Meanwhile, I was defending Lapierre being a better player than Farnham. So I'm not sure what else you thought the debate was about when you jumped in.

And just tell me you ate some bad sushi or some **** and that's why you keep saying you would rather have Adams over Lapierre, because that is a worse debate than Farnham over Lapierre.

When you prefer Adams over anything but a floating corpse, you have done lost your marbles.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I'm not defending Adams at all, he is horrible. Lapierre is also horrible, neither should be playing.

I definitely agree with this.

I still do not understand the Goc trade, any AHL player like Wilson, Mewgna, Rust, Farnahm is a better option than both of them. I do not give a **** how proven Lapierre has been over time. He's done.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724

NewAge, I get that you don't like Lapierre. But some of what you are saying seems just ridiculous to me. I agree that he hasn't been anywhere near the physical/agitating player many of us had hoped. I still hold out hope that he shows some of that side of him in the playoffs, but I admit he hasn't shown much of it since he's been here. I also agree that he had some bad games early on for us.

With that said, however, I feel that it is ridiculous hyperbole to say he is "horrible," and "totally inept," and should be benched for "Santa Claus," or a "cardboard cutout." Honestly, I've been largely disappointed in him, versus my expectations, although he has played better the past several games and thus seems to be trending in a good direction. His faceoffs lately have been a bright spot, and that IS important -- especially from a possession perspective. But I concede that otherwise, he hasn't "stood out" in any major, positive way.

Many here talk about Spaling as being "vanilla," and in a lot of ways, I think that's a relatively fair assessment of Lapierre. He hasn't done a whole lot positive, BUT -- he hasn't done a whole lot negative lately, either. You said in another post that he's actively hurting the team. I disagree totally. I haven't seen him, over the past month or so, making horrible giveaways, terrible reads, being lazy, etc. In other words, FAR from "actively hurting" the team. Could his play be easily upgraded through a trade or such, at some point? Sure. But to say he doesn't even belong in the league, basically, and to compare him to the most inept players in the NHL, I think that is taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

It's not a surprise why you are getting push-back on your posts/opinions. To say he "hasn't shown a whole lot," or has been "no more than decent in his best games," fine. But to say he's completely inept, among the worst in the league, and could be sat for literally ANYONE? Come on...

Go back to page one and the top of page two. The debate started there and you jumped in saying its crazy anyone would defend Lapierre. Meanwhile, I was defending Lapierre being a better player than Farnham. So I'm not sure what else you thought the debate was about when you jumped in.

And just tell me you ate some bad sushi or some **** and that's why you keep saying you would rather have Adams over Lapierre, because that is a worse debate than Farnham over Lapierre.

When you prefer Adams over anything but a floating corpse, you have done lost your marbles.

What does Lapierre do that makes him any different than Adams? They both can't score, they both are possession nightmares, they both are adequate pk players. Again, all Lapierre has is faceoffs.

Don't believe me? Let's compare Lapierre at 5 on 5 to the worst players in the league.

Max Lapierre (including time on an excellent 4th line in St. Louis): 80 gp gf/60- 1.31 ga/60- 2.62 differential: -1.31

Craig Adams: 70 gp gf/60- 1.22 ga/60- 1.58 differential: -.36

John Scott: 38 gp gf/60- 1.72 ga/60- 1.94 differential: -.22

Tanner Glass: 66 gp gf/60- 1.39 ga/60- 2.79 differential: -1.4

Chris Vandevelde: 72 gp gf/60- 1.86 ga/60- 2.45 differential: -.59

Zac Rinaldo: 58 gp gf/60- 1.33 ga/60- 2.30 differential: -.97

These are all bottom 6 guys who play similar minutes and similar roles to Lapierre. Granted, these kind of stats are not the end all be all but it is pretty telling that Lapierre compares so poorly to other players who are widely considered the worst in the league. Make no mistake, if Max Lapierre gets a sweater, he will hurt the team.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Max Lapierre is one of those guys that you might not really care he's on your team until it's the playoffs when he has the other team reacting to him and just his face.

The Rangers are a team that can be unraveled just as quickly as the previous Penguins squad and even this one to an extent.

My only concern is Downie losing it.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria

At least he has size. :laugh:

Actually Santa would be a better coach than MJ. At least he knows who's been bad or good.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Feel free to start a new thread on Lapierre's merits, guys. Let's keep this one for discussion of the guys that got called up and how they might fit in.

Many thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad