Recalled/Assigned: The Black Aces - Wilson Recalled Tuesday, Dumoulin & Harrington on Sunday

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
he's supposed to be much better... so far as a Penguin he isn't.

Aside from one game where he looked like ass, Lapierre has played well the last 9-10 games.

Once again, people are remembering the Farnham from his first few games, until the Florida series where he got punked. Pretty much from that game on he was ineffective, save a random shift here and there.

In 11 games, he had 6 SOG and barely generated any offense, and was abysmal on the boards. Lapierre has 7 shots in his last two games for comparisons sake.

I'm just not sure why people are focused on his first few games and ignoring how he looked the last 7-8 games before going down.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Aside from one game where he looked like ass, Lapierre has played well the last 9-10 games.

Once again, people are remembering the Farnham from his first few games, until the Florida series where he got punked. Pretty much from that game on he was ineffective, save a random shift here and there.

In 11 games, he had 5 SOG and barely generated any offense, and was abysmal on the boards. Lapierre has 7 shots in his last two games for comparisons sake.

I'm just not sure why people are focused on his first few games and ignoring how he looked the last 7-8 games before going down.

Lapierre is definitely a better player than Farnham. I'm not really sure why that even needs to be debated. That said, the playoffs are a funny thing. Momentum can swing from a big hit, a rare fight, a guy pissing the other team off, whatever.

Farnham is a spark plug that will put his well being on the line to help. This team desperately needs a spark and I think Farnham could possibly provide one. You are right he has a short shelf life, but I'd throw him in game one and try to put the Rangers on their heels. Use him to set the tone and hopefully that jolts the Pens. If the Pens can go into MSG and surprise the Rangers in game 1, anything can happen.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Lapierre is definitely a better player than Farnham. I'm not really sure why that even needs to be debated. That said, the playoffs are a funny thing. Momentum can swing from a big hit, a rare fight, a guy pissing the other team off, whatever.

Farnham is a spark plug that will put his well being on the line to help. This team desperately needs a spark and I think Farnham could possibly provide one. You are right he has a short shelf life, but I'd throw him in game one and try to put the Rangers on their heels. Use him to set the tone and hopefully that jolts the Pens. If the Pens can go into MSG and surprise the Rangers in game 1, anything can happen.

Is everyone forgetting that Lapierre was an essential part of both the Habs and Canucks runs in the last couple of years specifically because he can get players off their game?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Is everyone forgetting that Lapierre was an essential part of both the Habs and Canucks runs in the last couple of years specifically because he can get players off their game?

I'm not forgetting it but I haven't see it yet as a Pen. Maybe he's saving it for the playoffs, but I tend to doubt that. Like many other players, he used that to earn a role on a team, but once an established veteran, he probably let some of that part of his game slide. I guess we will find out soon.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

If we get that Lapierre, sure. But so far in his Pens career, we haven't seen that antagonizing, **** disturber Lapierre. Has he even used his troll-grin even once to piss off an opponent yet?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

It was great when he was up replacing Adams around Christmas time. But I keep asking everyone who sits for Farnham and no one is answering me.

The fourth line looked really good with Lapierre, Comeau and Spaling. Which one of those guys do people want to sit for a clown show?

I don't see anyone I want on the bench in the bottom six.

Why is the debate Lapierre vs. Farnham anyway? Using them together would be ideal. Add Downie to it and you could have an excellent pest line.

That means Comeau, Spaling or most likely BB sit then and I'm not cool with that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
drawing penalties IS generating offense, in a way. and farnham does a ****load of that even in the games where he looked bad

i would be ok with sitting lapierre some games, rolling farnham-spaling-comeau for 5-7 minutes, and the rest you double shift spaling-sid/geno-comeau

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
drawing penalties IS generating offense, in a way. and farnham does a ****load of that even in the games where he looked bad

i would be ok with sitting lapierre if either spaling was then at center or sid/geno are doubleshifted between him and comeau

I'd rather have the bigger bodied guy who is generating shots and is capable of clowning the Rags as much as Farnham.

Farnham really wasn't drawing penalties or generating any offense the last half dozen games he was up.

You guys are forgetting how ****** he looked.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I can't think of a better way to seal our fate against the Rangers than to dress both Downie AND Farnham. It'll be hard enough keeping Downie on the straight and narrow, which probably won't happen anyways. Farnham can play some hockey but he tries way too hard to be noticed, and is more likely to simply get his ass beat for trying than anything else.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'd be cool with bringing up Farnham if we get down 3-0/3-1 in the series. I definitely do not want to start the series with him though. Save him for a desperation game or if we look like absolute **** in game 1, and maybe he could spark up something.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I can't think of a better way to seal our fate against the Rangers than to dress both Downie AND Farnham. It'll be hard enough keeping Downie on the straight and narrow, which probably won't happen anyways. Farnham can play some hockey but he tries way too hard to be noticed, and is more likely to simply get his ass beat for trying than anything else.

I think one key difference is that Bobby Farnham draws penalties (and draws a lot of them) whereas Downie just takes them.

Downie's better obviously, but his liabilities (unending phantom calls against) and Farnhams (too small, no offensive ability) don't have a lot of overlap.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think one key difference is that Bobby Farnham draws penalties (and draws a lot of them) whereas Downie just takes them.

Downie's better obviously, but his liabilities (unending phantom calls against) and Farnhams (too small, no offensive ability) don't have a lot of overlap.

Agreed.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I'd rather have the bigger bodied guy who is generating shots and is capable of clowning the Rags as much as Farnham.

Farnham really wasn't drawing penalties or generating any offense the last half dozen games he was up.

as far as i remember he was still drawing penalties up until he was sent down. could be wrong

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Eh, I don't blame people for wanting to go out in an entertaining fashion. But that's not MJ's job. He's still going to ice the best roster he can. And Farnham isn't one of our 12 best forwards.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Eh, I don't blame people for wanting to go out in an entertaining fashion. But that's not MJ's job. He's still going to ice the best roster he can. And Farnham isn't one of our 12 best forwards.

If they need Farnham to win/turn this series around, they are in way more trouble than I am anticipating.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Drawing penalties leads to powerplays, our powerplay kills our momentum and leads to just as many chances against as chances for it seems (yeah, not entirely true but you get my drift).

So yeah, Farnham's benefits are limited by the ineptitude of our powerplay.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Sit Spaling's ass for Farnham. Spaling is a non factor. I don't expect the Pens to win this series; at least make it entertaining.

Farnham has heart. The type of mentality you want in a player during the post season. If this team can provide a solid effort as well as sticking up for each other; that's good enough for me. Regardless of what the outcome of the game is. Too many key injuries to make a long run.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon

maybe you should read the posts regarding the subject...

we're saying that Lapierre sucks as a Penguin, which he is. I don't care for his 7 lousy shots. they constantly put 40+ SOGs lately, losing the game and making the opposite goalie looking like a Hasek clone in the process. the type of shots you could very well classify as passes...

sure, Lapierre is the better hockey player so far in their respective careers but right now he is useles.

Farnham is the type of player that sucks at hockey but manages to annoy every body. a spark plug that totally could change the momentum of a game. I'm not saying he can do that each and every game but in the games he has played for the Pens this season, he threw at least a big hit and he drew at least a penalty in each one of them. it was automatic with him. definitely something this team doesn't need since we have the amazing Adams or Lapierre on the 4th line, like I said...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
maybe you should read the posts regarding the subject...

we're saying that Lapierre sucks as a Penguin, which he is. I don't care for his 7 lousy shots. they constantly put 40+ SOGs lately, losing the game and making the opposite goalie looking like a Hasek clone in the process. the type of shots you could very well classify as passes...

sure, Lapierre is the better hockey player so far in their respective careers but right now he is useles.

Farnham is the type of player that sucks at hockey but manages to annoy every body. a spark plug that totally could change the momentum of a game. I'm not saying he can do that each and every game but in the games he has played for the Pens this season, he threw at least a big hit and he drew at least a penalty in each one of them. it was automatic with him. definitely something this team doesn't need since we have the amazing Adams or Lapierre on the 4th line, like I said...

Then he gets out cycled by the fastest team in the league and gets scored on.

Lappy is the one person I wouldn't take off the fourth line. He's just like Goc, not overly showy, but he isn't really known for being a goalscorer. He plays well positionally and PKs well on the second pairing.

rightwinglock

Feb 9, 2015
Sit Spaling's ass for Farnham. Spaling is a non factor. I don't expect the Pens to win this series; at least make it entertaining.

Farnham has heart. The type of mentality you want in a player during the post season. If this team can provide a solid effort as well as sticking up for each other; that's good enough for me. Regardless of what the outcome of the game is. Too many key injuries to make a long run.

Top line of Malkin - Crosby - Hornqvist and 9 Nick Spaling's on the other 3 lines wins us the Cup comfortably, yes, even with this defense. This notion that he is a non factor is really parroted too much around here. Is he too safe, yeah, maybe blend sometimes, sure, but he is one positionally sound, hardworking player that does so many things away from the play. He even chips in solid 3rd line production, all while lacking a bit in offensive instincts and skill, but hey, if he had that, he'd probably be one of the premier 50-60pts two way centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad