Not open for further replies.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Bernier didn't give up 5 goals on the penalty kill

F7WHS.jpg

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
How is it likely though? The game was 0-0, Marty looked sharp and the Devils were riding a 2 game winning comeback.

And come on..it was a 5 minute, non-stop power play. How many of those have been given out in a Stanley Cup Final game??! Sure the PK has a chance to stop it, but that's the point of a PK...to be a t a disadvantage.

As it turned out it definitely was a game changer, but when your PK gives up 3 on a major they're at least as at fault as the guy who takes the stupid penalty.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
As it turned out it definitely was a game changer, but when your PK gives up 3 on a major they're at least as at fault as the guy who takes the stupid penalty.

McKenzie made similar points..guess Leighton is the bigger goat then...hooves down

Can't Blame Bernier

A lot of people will want to say that Steve Bernier lost the New Jersey Devils the Stanley Cup and that's not right for a couple of reasons.

First, they were already in a 3-0 hole in the series, which put them in the situation where one bad call or one bad play can go against you. Second, in that situation, the Devils have to get their penalty kill going.

New Jersey will tell you that they didn't like the fact that Stephen Gionta was hit from behind on the play and there was no call for that. They will also tell you they didn't like that Dustin Penner took a swing right after Scuderi was down on the ice and Penner didn't get called for that. A penalty to Penner there could have off-set at least part of the five-minute power play.

However, you can't give up three goals on one power play and allow the Kings to get engaged to that degree. This was a power play that wasn't great during the playoffs. Los Angeles had six power play goals in three full series against the Vancouver Canucks, St. Louis Blues and Phoenix Coyotes.

In the Stanley Cup Final, the Kings had six power play goals alone on 20 chances in six games against the Devils. You can let one goal in, maybe you let in two, but if you let three in, you're in trouble.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=398200

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
With out leighton and boosh you don't even make the playoffs. I would say bernier will have more trouble sleeping.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Bernier isn't to blame. They went down 3-0 in the series and let THREE goals in on a five minute PK. He finished the hit as he should. A lot of bad luck involved on his part. I wouldn't want my fourth liners to NOT hit the D-man when going in on the forecheck like that.

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
With out leighton and boosh you don't even make the playoffs. I would say bernier will have more trouble sleeping.

Exactly. People often forget Leighton saved the season for us when he first became the starter. The guy stood on his head for at least a good month +. It's all about one goal though for most on here.

Last edited:

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Exactly. People often forget Leighton saved the season for us when he first became the starter. The guy stood on his head for at least a goon month +. It's all about one goal though for most on here.

It's not about one goal, it's really about the entire series where he was just dreadful. Outside of game 3 he was awful. And iirc a big problem during the season for the team was not scoring goals. So I don't think Leighton had much to do with turning that around. He didn't save the season by himself.

35NW8ING

#LaviPondHockeyFail
Apr 6, 2011
It's not about one goal, it's really about the entire series where he was just dreadful. Outside of game 3 he was awful. And iirc a big problem during the season for the team was not scoring goals. So I don't think Leighton had much to do with turning that around. He didn't save the season by himself.

He did pretty much save it by himself. Boucher was god awful till Leighton took over. Leighton stood on his head for around his first 15-20 starts after Boucher got injured.

If goal scoring was such a problem, how did they go 12-4-1 in Leightons first 17 starts when Boucher got injured? We were going nowhere fast, probably miss the playoffs without that run.

Yeah, the goalie had nothing to do with it. :dunce:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Im not sure you remember that month and a half stretch of games before Boucher was injured, where the flyers were losing a lot oh games 1-0, 2-1, etc. the flyers struggled to score and were just beginning to turn it around when Leighton showed up. the timing was very fortunate for him

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Im not sure you remember that month and a half stretch of games before Boucher was injured, where the flyers were losing a lot oh games 1-0, 2-1, etc. the flyers struggled to score and were just beginning to turn it around when Leighton showed up. the timing was very fortunate for him

Then the flyers went all #Lavipondhockeyfail on the league

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How does one tell time on a Flyers fan board?

"It's about half past a Leighton thread." "Ten to a Leighton thread." etc.

Seriously, we need to have some neutral negotiator come here and draft a Leighton entente.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So who will be the biggest goat on the Flyers this year now that one of the longest tenured goats is gone.....Leighton again, Bryz, Rinaldo, a new guy like Luke Schenn??

BTW Carle has officially entered the all time goat list for the Flyers..he joins Crossman and many others

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So who will be the biggest goat on the Flyers this year now that one of the longest tenured goats is gone.....Leighton again, Bryz, Rinaldo, a new guy like Luke Schenn??

BTW Carle has officially entered the all time goat list for the Flyers..he joins Crossman and many others

Is there really any issue. Michael Leighton will be the cause of every single loss he is on the ice for at least one minute (and of course will get no credit in any of the wins), and in games Michael Leighton is not playing it will be Luke Schenn. Not even a competition. Especially if JvR has an even remotely successful year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

I'd have to agree to a point. Bernier took complete responsibility, despite the PK allowing 3 goals on the major (how often does that happen??!), where Leighton didn't take any responsibility for his suckitude. Bernier has likely lost a ton of sleep. Leighton probably laid awake for a couple of minutes.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Luke Schenn gets my vote. He was a goat in Toronto and was frequently scratched. Leighton hopefully won't get enough action to be a goat.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Michael Leighton had a chance to be an actual Rocky story and become relevant. Then he just ****ed it up...

Lockjaw333

May 6, 2012
New Jersey
Call me crazy, but I don't and never have hated Leighton. I remember him more for holding the fort and playing pretty awesome after coming out of nowhere than tanking in the finals and allowing that atrocious cup winning goal.

When he was in the middle of his hot stretch Philly fans were talking about him becoming the next Tim Thomas, a late developer that would turn into a great goalie.

Unlike most I actually root for Michael. I really was bummed when he got sent down, and I really wanted him to get his game back to form and make a return to the NHL, but it never happened. I'd be open to giving him a shot at being Bryz's backup, although I'm sure this is more of an AHL signing so he can backstop the Phantoms.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Luke Schenn gets my vote. He was a goat in Toronto and was frequently scratched. Leighton hopefully won't get enough action to be a goat.

And the overreactions have already begun!

Rookie year he played 70 games (even if all 12 games he missed could be deemed healthy scratches, it was his rookie year). Sophomore season he played 79 games. Teo years ago he played a full season. Last year he played 79. 6 games in three years since his rookie is not "frequently" a healthy scratch (and that's if all 6 were actually healthy scratches).

This season is going to be so much fun!

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

Rookie year he played 70 games (even if all 12 games he missed could be deemed healthy scratches, it was his rookie year). Sophomore season he played 79 games. Teo years ago he played a full season. Last year he played 79. 6 games in three years since his rookie is not "frequently" a healthy scratch (and that's if all 6 were actually healthy scratches).

Schenn was a goat in Toronto, fairly or not. There's a reason a team that sucks trades a very young defenseman. I hope he plays well, but I don't expect a hell of a lot out of him.

However, if JVR becomes a star in Toronto, and Schenn never improves beyond the player he was last year, there are going to be a lot of Flyers fans *****ing and moaning and ready to torch Schenn.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Yes, we get it. You can't stomach any criticism of anybody at all, especially if it reflects poorly on Holmgren in the end.:rolleyes:

Whether you care to admit it or not, Schenn is starting on the bottom since he's been a disappointment in Toronto. He couldn't cut it on a bad team, and it went beyond just one coach. He was traded for the player many view as the consolation prize for The Dying Time. He has a bit to prove. All your petty, condescending sarcasm doesn't change any of that.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I do think Schenn is a prime suspect to be goat of the year for the Flyers....I hope not b/c we're going to need him to be better than he was with Toronto...at least last year.

Personally, I'm looking out for this flamingo blocking stance that one of the Toronto fans says he does which results in screening the goalie.

If he is inconsistent I do expect the boo birds to cascade disdain upon him....philly is not exactly the best place for him to redeem himself. Toronto was bad enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad